Coronavirus prep

Replies

• LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    @cmriverside thanks for that link from science daily. I had been wondering why there was no booster if it only lasted 4-5 years which was the information I kept finding but I didn't realize it had only been approved in the US since 2017. Everything makes so much more sense now.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2021
    ythannah wrote: »
    I got the ill-fated Zostavax so apparently I'm going to need Shingrix anyway. Something to keep in mind before I retire and lose my insurance benefits.

I’m not positive, but from what we were told by supplemental health insurance agent, most vaccines are covered by Medicare part D, and certain vaccines are always covered by part B. My husband just retired 9/30/21, so we haven’t used it yet, but may be useful for you to check out, if that would affect your decision.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Interesting my friend's son who is probably just 50 got his first shingrex yesterday. This was thru the US VA. Seemed early to me, but maybe since I got mine (not thru the Veteran's admin) a few years ago recommendations are changing.

What does everyone think about this mix and matching thing? Is that to allow folks who got J&J to get a different one for the most part? I had Pfizer back in April so am not quite due altho I probably could get a booster. I am just really wanting to see more data. My brother had Moderna and I think already had a booster due to age and health conditions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited October 2021
    Interesting my friend's son who is probably just 50 got his first shingrex yesterday. This was thru the US VA. Seemed early to me, but maybe since I got mine (not thru the Veteran's admin) a few years ago recommendations are changing.

What does everyone think about this mix and matching thing? Is that to allow folks who got J&J to get a different one for the most part? I had Pfizer back in April so am not quite due altho I probably could get a booster. I am just really wanting to see more data. My brother had Moderna and I think already had a booster due to age and health conditions.

There is some theorizing that different types of vaccines might provide different "Instructuons" to your immune system, and better immunity, but that's just theory right now. I think it is more for people who either want a booster but had a bad reaction to their main doses, or people who got J&J and either don't trust it or want in on the mRNA action :smile:

It's a good idea for them to get more data about mixing regardless. It's not realistic or efficient to keep all these different brands available forever I don't think, so if boosters will be a thing long term I'd guess one or two brands will show themselves to be the best in some way, at least regionally.

The TWIV folks say mix and match looks safe to them, but I don't think they've seen enough data yet to say whether it's beneficial or doesn't really matter.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited October 2021
    I actually decided to wait a day or two and get Moderna (I am getting it plus flu today vs yesterday or the day before), because most of what I've seen is that it either doesn't matter or could be beneficial to mix Pfizer (my first 2) and Moderna.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-europe-health-london-71eff66d2e2924f44a4207844b84c208

I was thinking UK was out of the Covid-19 woods and now this warning. Russia is at 1000 deaths daily and looking at lockdowns. China is in the Covid news cycle again. After 2 years I would though science would have made more progress. The non medical Covid-19 side effects is getting more attention now than the virus itself. It's like Covid-19 is Wildfire.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Medicare & our supplement covered the cost for all the vaccines we have had..flu, Shingrix.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    I got the ill-fated Zostavax so apparently I'm going to need Shingrix anyway. Something to keep in mind before I retire and lose my insurance benefits.

I’m not positive, but from what we were told by supplemental health insurance agent, most vaccines are covered by Medicare part D, and certain vaccines are always covered by part B. My husband just retired 9/30/21, so we haven’t used it yet, but may be useful for you to check out, if that would affect your decision.

I'm sure that's helpful info for other US readers however I'm in Canada. The cost of prescribed medications is covered by the patient, either out of pocket or by a private insurance benefit plan. I lose those benefits once I'm no longer employed. There are various cost-subsidy schemes that can be accessed (depending on the province) after that but I'd still prefer to have the full amount covered for an expensive one like shingles vax.

I don't know which vaccinations are no-cost (covered under public health) here vs patient-cost, or how that is decided. Zostavax and Twinrix definitely went through my benefit plan. Covid vaccination was obviously free, as is the flu shot. My doctor gave me DPT in office so I assume it's a free one, as the others were obtained from the pharmacy with a prescription.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

There is some theorizing that different types of vaccines might provide different "Instructuons" to your immune system, and better immunity, but that's just theory right now. I think it is more for people who either want a booster but had a bad reaction to their main doses, or people who got J&J and either don't trust it or want in on the mRNA action :smile:

It's a good idea for them to get more data about mixing regardless. It's not realistic or efficient to keep all these different brands available forever I don't think, so if boosters will be a thing long term I'd guess one or two brands will show themselves to be the best in some way, at least regionally.

The TWIV folks say mix and match looks safe to them, but I don't think they've seen enough data yet to say whether it's beneficial or doesn't really matter.

Not an immunology technical thing, but I've assume the mix'n'match data would also be useful in a logistical sense: Here, different entities have offered different brands, and my (poorly informed) impression is that some are now easier to find than others. If so, those who went to a mass vaccination event locally, especially - a temporary thing - might have logistical challenges getting the same brand for a second or third dose . . . not necessarily impossible, but an additional wrinkle.

If the mixed regimens are at least close to as good, there's real reason to make a huge effort to get the same thing. Of course, if a particular mix is better, that could be a reason to go through the logistical hassle, but at that point it's more of a personal choice about the tradeoffs, vs. a "only one brand throughout" being the medical guideline and possibly a logistical challenge simply because mixes weren't tested.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I really hope they are tracking which vaccines have the most break-through infections. It certainly sounds like J&J is less effective over the long term, since they recommend everyone over 18 get another shot 2 months after getting vaccinated, vs. only those at high risk and after 6 months for Pfizer and Moderna. I haven't heard anything about Astra-Zeneca's long term effectiveness, but I don't think that was ever used widely here in the US. I think it was widely used in Europe though. For those who had that shot, what are the recommendations as to boosters?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Not an immunology technical thing, but I've assume the mix'n'match data would also be useful in a logistical sense: Here, different entities have offered different brands, and my (poorly informed) impression is that some are now easier to find than others. If so, those who went to a mass vaccination event locally, especially - a temporary thing - might have logistical challenges getting the same brand for a second or third dose . . . not necessarily impossible, but an additional wrinkle.

If the mixed regimens are at least close to as good, there's real reason to make a huge effort to get the same thing. Of course, if a particular mix is better, that could be a reason to go through the logistical hassle, but at that point it's more of a personal choice about the tradeoffs, vs. a "only one brand throughout" being the medical guideline and possibly a logistical challenge simply because mixes weren't tested.

Here they all seem to be easily available so long as you do a search on stores (assuming one is going to a pharmacy), but I agree that that is also an important consideration.
  • GaleHawkins
    https://youtu.be/Gz0I_v-ihsE

John Campbell update. At the end there's a video from hospital of a guy with heart damage after first shot who was doing heavy workouts.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Another John Campbell update, on low Vit D and increased mortality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNgKJ-7YWQ
  • GaleHawkins
    https://youtu.be/yPvUb9jo-Pw

This news out of Europe is stressful. I expect there may be a new variant. China Covid-19 news is also stressful. Thankfully USA numbers are looking better but we are about to head into winter.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I really hope they are tracking which vaccines have the most break-through infections. It certainly sounds like J&J is less effective over the long term, since they recommend everyone over 18 get another shot 2 months after getting vaccinated, vs. only those at high risk and after 6 months for Pfizer and Moderna. I haven't heard anything about Astra-Zeneca's long term effectiveness, but I don't think that was ever used widely here in the US. I think it was widely used in Europe though. For those who had that shot, what are the recommendations as to boosters?

Here in Canada anyway it was recommended that those who got AZ for their first shot get either Pfizer or Moderna for their second. Only one province in Canada so far has said they will be offering third shot boosters to the general public - and it will only be Pfizer or Moderna. I think AZ is basically phased out here.