60 yrs and up

Replies

• anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    The loss of fear friends is so hard. I'm down to one very dear friend and miss the others so much. No one to call and share joys of sorrows with like my three besties. I think that's what this site helps with. A place to share not only weight needs and encouragement but just life. You are not alone.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member

Anyhow, back to my point. Echoing @Yoolypr and @alteredsteve175 - Caregiving is a long, emotionally and often physically draining job. With zero days off. Often for years.

It is absolutely imperative that the caregiver carves out at least a little time to care for themselves also. And however they do that? As long as it doesn’t hurt the loved one being cared for?
    Zero regrets. Zero judgment. Do what you need to do. It’s rough out there. <3 ...

So I am learning, Margaret. I appreciate your insights as someone who has a lot of experience. Thank you.

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,818 Member
    I concur! Lack of imaginative eating was an advantage when beginning my journey.
    Figure out the portion sizes and calories of familiar foods. Once you’ve made some progress and can eat within your deficit, you can begin cautiously working with more interesting meals. It’s difficult estimating portions and calories in a pad Thai, curries, lasagna or spanakopita for example. Lots of variables in the ingredients/components.
    My best advice is making weight loss uncomplicated especially during your first few months on MFP. Start slow and work your way up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    I'm sure I'm in a minority here, as is often the case: Variety, and seeking out extra-delicious new calorie-efficient and nutrition-dense foods was a key success factor for me. I'm admittedly a hedonist, so part of customizing the process for me was catering to those pleasure-seeking impulses with new, suitable foods.

I mostly cooked at home, so calculating the calories was easy. It'd be harder if eating out, of course. I haven't had much trouble finding calorie counts for even quite unusual individual ingredients. I'm sure it also matters that I live alone, so the whole dish would usually be eaten entirely by me, though sometimes across multiple meals. Still, for multi-person things (like when I have company, or take a food to a potluck), the MFP recipe function works great for figuring out calories per serving.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm in a minority here, as is often the case: Variety, and seeking out extra-delicious new calorie-efficient and nutrition-dense foods was a key success factor for me. I'm admittedly a hedonist, so part of customizing the process for me was catering to those pleasure-seeking impulses with new, suitable foods.

I mostly cooked at home, so calculating the calories was easy. It'd be harder if eating out, of course. I haven't had much trouble finding calorie counts for even quite unusual individual ingredients. I'm sure it also matters that I live alone, so the whole dish would usually be eaten entirely by me, though sometimes across multiple meals. Still, for multi-person things (like when I have company, or take a food to a potluck), the MFP recipe function works great for figuring out calories per serving.

Like you, Ann, I like to eat and I like to cook. I'm not doing this limited foods regimen every day because I want to. Just works better with the time I have available right now.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Like you, Ann, I like to eat and I like to cook. I'm not doing this limited foods regimen every day because I want to. Just works better with the time I have available right now.

Oh, absolutely! When I was in similar circumstances with my husband, keeping things simple had a high, high value. Time for self-care is vital, but some of the pleasurable frills become ultra-optional.

My comment was intended more as a counterpoint to the concept of keeping food repetitious, maybe even kind of boring, as a strategy for dieting. That would *not* be a good strategy for me. It may be a great strategy for others.

I suspect I may be in the minority in this case (as in many others, maybe!), but I have a little concern that sometimes dieting advice - even when not intended this way - can come across as "one *must* do these things in order to be successful". I tend to think that personalizing to one's individual preferences, strengths, . . . and yes, weaknesses . . . is a good thing to consider. Many routes can be successful IMO, and finding one's own best/easiest can be a help, IMO.

Right now, you have special circumstances layered on top of wanting to keep rolling on with healthy eating and maybe even some continuing weight loss . . . that's a whole different matter. Hugs!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    For breakfast and lunch on my work days are the same because its easy and I have to be at work by 6:30 and work 10-14+ hour days. Breakfast a low carb Keto shake, because its quick and a salad for lunch that gets made by me the evening before. My days off I eat a brunch after my workout, a omlette/frittata with cheese and then bacon! Dinner then is something different. A meat and veggie or maybe a homemade cauliflower crust pizza, etc.

Gotta do what works for you and the life you have right now.
  • rmd0228
    rmd0228 Posts: 15 Member
    Anyone still here?
  • AnnPT77
    rmd0228 wrote: »
    Anyone still here?

Nine posts just today, not counting yours, so I'm thinking "yes"? 😉

Looks like you may be pretty new here @rmd0228? If you just looked into this conversation, the first pages are old posts, but the new ones are at the end, on the higher-numbered pages.

Wishing you positive outcomes!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    I like to cook too. I haven’t eaten in a restaurant in almost two years, due to COVID. I’ve had a lot of food delivered though! I love to try new recipes. Yesterday I made sautéed cabbage. It was very interesting. I love vegetables, and cabbage is cheap here so I thought I’d try it. I’d make it again. I belong to a gourmet club. Just a group of ladies that like to cook, not really gourmet. We’re meeting inside next week for the first time in two years. We’ve been having our get togethers on zoom or outside until now. It’s getting kind of cold outside for meetings. We’re going to be tasting wine, so I’m worried it will mess up my lower carb eating.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    I like to cook too. I haven’t eaten in a restaurant in almost two years, due to COVID. I’ve had a lot of food delivered though! I love to try new recipes. Yesterday I made sautéed cabbage. It was very interesting. I love vegetables, and cabbage is cheap here so I thought I’d try it. I’d make it again. I belong to a gourmet club. Just a group of ladies that like to cook, not really gourmet. We’re meeting inside next week for the first time in two years. We’ve been having our get togethers on zoom or outside until now. It’s getting kind of cold outside for meetings. We’re going to be tasting wine, so I’m worried it will mess up my lower carb eating.

If you like cabbage, and mashed potatoes, and easy recipes - try some colcannon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colcannon
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Thanks Margaret. I looked it up. I love kale too. Mashed are a favourite in my family. I always make a lot for when they come over. Of course they haven’t been over for a long time, but I think that’s going to change here soon.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Lately, I have been adding mashed or riced cauliflower with various seasonings to my lean protein meal and it has helped me get more veggies in. I'm not a big veggie eater and this has been a tasty boost.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Thanks Ann. I have a journal I stopped writing in a couple of months ago. I think I’ll start again. Good advice.

A good idea to start again, I always feel down in the winter and my friend too passed away a few months ago I miss her dreadfully and seeing my mum whi has severe dementia.
  • swimmom_1
    10/24/21- 182.6 lbs. Down 72.4 lbs since 9/14/20, when I started my new job. Down 57.9 lbs since my Gallbladder surgery 5/3/21 and 49.4 lbs since I started Keto and MFP 5/14/21. So continuing to lose about 10 lbs/month and I feel great!!!!

Continued prayers for those having medical issues or having family medical issues you have to deal with. Its such a strain on you.
  • swimmom_1

@alteredsteve175
    Amen, sister! I've gotten some good ideas and insight from others here over the years. The best lesson, though, is that you have to figure out what works for you. Doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Congratulations on your progress towards your goal. You're an inspiration!

Thank you Steve. Between the WOE that I'm doing and everyone on the threads here for support, this is the easiest ever for me.