Suits

Replies

• WoodAndCastIron
    WoodAndCastIron Posts: 978 Member
    I guess I prefer more of a casual/dressed up, as opposed to a full-on suit

(Not me)
    pl3o4gre5ppg.jpg

uuicltsanfza.jpg

That’s a really nice sport coat -what kind is it ? Who is the maker?
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    ALSO a very good thread
  • theeldestberry
    theeldestberry Posts: 815 Member
    z0czrqs09pyh.jpg

Did not buy the classic black coat, ended up going for a more casual look with a blue hopsack coat

uir47tubc12c.jpg
    hpe3ytshv0am.jpg

Hopsack is good, real good. I have two hopsack jackets - one is very easy to dress down, which is preferred manner. The other is an oddly fancy fabric mix, which makes it something I love, but very niche for wear.
  • theeldestberry
    edited October 2021

(Not me)
    pl3o4gre5ppg.jpg

uuicltsanfza.jpg

Top model is wearing a jacket too short for him - pretty normal in product shots, but ludicrous looking in real life. Fabric is great though, and it's styled well.

Length of the bottom one is right on.
  • theeldestberry
    edited October 2021

(Not me)
    pl3o4gre5ppg.jpg

uuicltsanfza.jpg

Top model is wearing a jacket too short for him - pretty normal in product shots, but ludicrous looking in real life. Fabric is great though, and it's styled well.

Length of the bottom one is right on.

How were you able to tell? I've heard the coat should come down enough to cover the butt, but no longer than that. I have room to improve my style, room to learn, though. How would you rate the coat I picked up, as far as fit? It's straight off the rack. I vaguely recall seeing hopsack in my early 20s, but I'm somewhat freshly discovering it and it really is a banger

It's always hard to tell from a single photo. Even the longer jacket needs the sleeves tailored, at least based on the one photo.

Covering the butt is one method that works for most men. There's others, like the knuckle curl test. Biggest thing is, dress to the middle, that way you always stay in style. Extremes are something to avoid (super wide lapels or super skinny, super long or very short jacket lengths).

I'll give a caveat or two as I offer any critique. First, take anything I say with a grain of salt, it's so easy to pick apart fit based on one 2D picture. Sometimes the photo is just a bad representation.

The black jacket you have on in the first photo looks like a great fit on you. However, black is fairly awful for most people, especially as a mix and match piece. I'd skip it, as you did, and go for the blue hopsack. That is a cornerstone casual piece.

The fit as photographed on the hopsack is off, and it's hard to quantify how. The photo suggests significant pulling at the button, which usually indicates too small a size at the waist. But there's also a bunch of creasing in the chest, which suggests it's too large of a size. Go down one size and see if the pulling and creasing cleans up because of excess fabric hang. If it gets even worse, go up a size (and then you'll need the non-fitting parts tailored).

Hopsack is great. Interesting texture, light weight, breathable. Way better than a standard navy jacket. You clearly have good instincts, trust that and augment with more good data sources. Nobody figures this stuff out on their own.

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,541 Member
    iiit6cv7cqb5.jpeg

As close as I usually get.

Looking sharp!
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited October 2021
    Can we get a vote from the women on what mode of dress they prefer on a man? Casual jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers? Or more dressed up?

I have tried typing a reponse now and can't find the words. A man in a suit is hot, but so is one in jeans and a crew neck long sleeved shirt or soft button up... and yet, a pair of clean sweatpants and tshirt is also great...

I think I may be partial to jeans and a soft button up shirt. (Not too starchy, good for cuddles, but yet a step above super casual).

I myself am casual by nature, so someone who dresses up "just because" would probably feel over dressed around me.

long story short... Yes. lol

eta.. I was going to add the caveat that "clean" is imperative, and yet... I've always had a thing for construction / blue collar worker too... So maybe "clean" as in "not wearing last week's dinner" haha
  • theeldestberry
    edited October 2021
    Can we get a vote from the women on what mode of dress they prefer on a man? Casual jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers? Or more dressed up?

I have tried typing a reponse now and can't find the words. A man in a suit is hot, but so is one in jeans and a crew neck long sleeved shirt or soft button up... and yet, a pair of clean sweatpants and tshirt is also great...

I think I may be partial to jeans and a soft button up shirt. (Not too starchy, good for cuddles, but yet a step above super casual).

I myself am casual by nature, so someone who dresses up "just because" would probably feel over dressed around me.

eta.. I was going to add the caveat that "clean" is imperative, and yet... I've always had a thing for construction / blue collar worker too... So maybe "clean" as in "not wearing last week's dinner" haha

I read this as "I like men" with only one real caveat, not neglecting grooming. :flowerforyou:
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member

Casual! But when he knows how to dress up and is comfortable in a suit once in a while too.😍
  • theeldestberry
    edited October 2021

Biggest thing that's successful for me is being a half step off from the crowd, without regard to the event.

If it's work and very casual (lots of jeans and hoodies), I might wear a polo or fitted tee instead of a hoodie, or maybe my hoodie is better fit and material.

If it's a suit event, mine will be tailored where most guys will be their one poorly fit suit. I might have a pocket square, but tieless even if everyone else is in a tie. It's the little details - I'm not trying to show anybody up by obviously outdressing (like wearing a tux to a suit event, or a sports coat to a hoodie workplace), I'm just trying to present a bit more polished version of the accepted dress.

Getting noticed by women isn't about a genre of clothing - sure, they have their individual preferences, some really dig jeans and leather jackets, or whatever. I believe it's about being subtly noticable as different in a good way. Clean is usually good. Ironed is usually good. Fitted well is good. And each of those has their exceptions, but nobody is good at it until they understand the basic premise and had a lot of mileage in doing the basics right.
  • KickassAmazon76

I read this as "I like men" with only one real caveat, not neglecting grooming. :flowerforyou:

Haha pretty much. 😁