$9.95 Prime / Whole Foods Grocery Delivery Fee Beginning Aug 30

2»

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I get meat currently from an Alaskan fish delivery order plus a farm subscription and veg/fruit from the farmer's market and my garden, so have been going into WF rarely and mostly for cottage cheese (an obsession)+avocados+pepperoncini peppers+some premade soups or rice and beans (the latter 2 in case I get in case sick/am crazy busy at work and need no fuss meals), plus my canned beans and tomatoes, based on when my pantry is low. I've been getting oils and vinegars from a more local store and same with spices. WF also still has stuff like tofu, and some dry goods. But out of season I buy a ton of produce (fresh and frozen) from WF.

Back in the day I used to impulse buy a lot at WF (inc lots of grains), but decluttering my pantry + covid era has taught me.

Sorry to divert from the thread topic, but I'm intrigued by this!

Most of our stuff is like this too - we get most of our "whole foods" (heh) from local farms, and use Costco and Aldi for shelf-stable, frozen, and canned stuff, plus the occasional trip to a regular, ethnic, or specialty grocery store for weird items.

I used to get chicken from the back of a truck a couple times per year (it sounds sketchy but it was AWESOME and I'm so sad they went out of business :cry: ) but this fish delivery business sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you get from them and is it reasonably priced? We don't eat much fish because I'm just not impressed by the quality for what I'm expected to pay around here. But if I found a decent supplier within our budget I'd give it a try.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    It's expensive but no more so than what it normally costs at WH or a fishmonger here. I grew up in AK and my dad still lives in WA, so I love it, and decided I was willing to pay when I was insecure about getting meat/fish early in covid. It's definitely not a cheap source of protein, though--the trout I occasionally buy at our farmer's market is a better deal.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited August 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm south of Boston, MA and received this email today:

"Dear Prime Member,

We are writing to let you know about an upcoming change to Prime grocery delivery benefits at Whole Foods Market in your area. Starting August 30, 2021, delivery orders from Whole Foods Market in your area will include a $9.95 service fee."

I was curious if those of you who use this service in different parts of the country got this message as well.

I'm currently 20 minutes away from the store and will likely stop using the delivery service once this fee is implemented. Plus, they've historically been terrible about not knowing that items are out of stock until it's too late for me to make changes.

@kshama2001 - Manhattan here.. order Whole Foods/prime. I haven’t seen any changes to fees here or gotten any notifications. It’s free delivery if total over $45 in my neck of woods.

Unsure why they are making that prime change in Boston.. seems there are a lot of subscribers here on MFP …

Oh update: just read this online - apparently to keep grocery prices down? Bleh.

“ Again, Amazon is only testing the new fee program in six markets (greater Detroit, Boston and Chicago areas and in Providence, R.I., Portland, Maine, and Manchester, N.H.) beginning Aug. 30, so it could soon find the cost of lost customers too high to roll it out nationally.”
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

"Dear Prime Member,

We are writing to let you know about an upcoming change to Prime grocery delivery benefits at Whole Foods Market in your area. Starting August 30, 2021, delivery orders from Whole Foods Market in your area will include a $9.95 service fee."

I was curious if those of you who use this service in different parts of the country got this message as well.

I'm currently 20 minutes away from the store and will likely stop using the delivery service once this fee is implemented. Plus, they've historically been terrible about not knowing that items are out of stock until it's too late for me to make changes.

@kshama2001 - Manhattan here.. order Whole Foods/prime. I haven’t seen any changes to fees here or gotten any notifications. It’s free delivery if total over $45 in my neck of woods.

Unsure why they are making that prime change in Boston.. seems there are a lot of subscribers here on MFP …

Oh update: just read this online - apparently to keep grocery prices down? Bleh.

“ Again, Amazon is only testing the new fee program in six markets (greater Detroit, Boston and Chicago areas and in Providence, R.I., Portland, Maine, and Manchester, N.H.) beginning Aug. 30, so it could soon find the cost of lost customers too high to roll it out nationally.

Aha! I will try to order one more time this month and then stop so I will definitely be included in Lost Customers.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I get meat currently from an Alaskan fish delivery order plus a farm subscription and veg/fruit from the farmer's market and my garden, so have been going into WF rarely and mostly for cottage cheese (an obsession)+avocados+pepperoncini peppers+some premade soups or rice and beans (the latter 2 in case I get in case sick/am crazy busy at work and need no fuss meals), plus my canned beans and tomatoes, based on when my pantry is low. I've been getting oils and vinegars from a more local store and same with spices. WF also still has stuff like tofu, and some dry goods. But out of season I buy a ton of produce (fresh and frozen) from WF.

Back in the day I used to impulse buy a lot at WF (inc lots of grains), but decluttering my pantry + covid era has taught me.

Sorry to divert from the thread topic, but I'm intrigued by this!

Most of our stuff is like this too - we get most of our "whole foods" (heh) from local farms, and use Costco and Aldi for shelf-stable, frozen, and canned stuff, plus the occasional trip to a regular, ethnic, or specialty grocery store for weird items.

I used to get chicken from the back of a truck a couple times per year (it sounds sketchy but it was AWESOME and I'm so sad they went out of business :cry: ) but this fish delivery business sounds interesting. What kind of stuff do you get from them and is it reasonably priced? We don't eat much fish because I'm just not impressed by the quality for what I'm expected to pay around here. But if I found a decent supplier within our budget I'd give it a try.

Here is the service we use, been very happy with this! https://wildalaskancompany.com/
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

"Dear Prime Member,

“ Again, Amazon is only testing the new fee program in six markets (greater Detroit, Boston and Chicago areas and in Providence, R.I., Portland, Maine, and Manchester, N.H.) beginning Aug. 30, so it could soon find the cost of lost customers too high to roll it out nationally.

Aha! I will try to order one more time this month and then stop so I will definitely be included in Lost Customers.

@kshama2001 — thought about ya! I just got an email a few days ago.. NYC area now has 9.95$ delivery charge regardless of being a prime member.

So .. we order groceries a LOT.. this would end up being $40+ just in the charges per month not including tip… so guess I’m going to have to tame this expense a bit. Bummer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I buy meat and produce in person but everything else gets ordered from Walmart with their curbside pickup. I started doing this during Covid and still do it. Saves me a lot of time and when I had some back and knee issues this summer it kept me from needing to use the scooters in the store while I healed.

I am a Prime member but there just hasn't been enough that I need to get from WF to justify ordering.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited October 2021
    Just realized that I previously responded to this thread. Dup reponse deleted.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

How do you delete responses?
  • kshama2001
    acpgee wrote: »

You can’t really delete a response, but you have an hour to edit it. You do that by clicking on the gear icon to the right.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    We are getting a fee too. Guess I'll stop ordering -- I do mostly enjoy going to the grocery store anyway.
  • kshama2001
    We are getting a fee too. Guess I'll stop ordering -- I do mostly enjoy going to the grocery store anyway.

Yes, often I was frustrated by not being able to order items I KNOW are available in the store, and I prefer to select produce myself.

My mother's chicken orders were often wrong - she prefers WF to Bell & Evans, but often got B&E, and sometimes she'd get boneless when she wanted bone-in.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

You can’t really delete a response, but you have an hour to edit it. You do that by clicking on the gear icon to the right.

You can have a post deleted if you click flag/report/"this is my post and I want to delete it". The mods will kindly delete it for you, though not instantly (it's usually reasonably soon).

Obviously, "if in doubt, don't post" is a better option, or "live with it, if it's minor". 😉