Check-In For Those Who’ve Worked Out More Than 20 Years

2»

Replies

• Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Arc2Arc wrote: »
    What an awesome line-up. Where in UT will you be hiking. That's my neck of the woods, I hike a fair amount. Although snow's on the ground now.

My wife has hiked Bryce and Zion and wants to return. We also have a group of friends pushing us to join them at Antelope Canyon in Az next march. Either place will be a first time visit for me.

Haven't been to Grand Escalante but the southern UT National Parks are breathtaking, I go every year. If you catch the bug there are others. Lake Powell is amazing too.
  • Arc2Arc
    edited October 2021
    __Di__ wrote: »
    47 years sporting here, take off about two years in the middle where I was just being lazy. Track and Field athletics is the greatest thing since sliced bread for me, I did that from 13 years old, on and off until nearly 40. During that time I also trained in martial arts and some weight training.

I purchased a good quality, commercial treadmill for home at one point and was training indoors. Shin splints had put paid to me running on pavements outside. A slipped disc in 2010 put paid to that too though, so I would walk on the treadmill, until able to run again. I risked a run outdoors in 2011 by trying my very first parkrun and it was at this point I turned a corner, a friend mentioned that a sports shop near me did running gait analysis, so along I went, got tested and fitted out with my first pair of Saucony running shoes. Now I was able to train outdoors, no shin splints, no injuries, nothing!!! Joining a running club, I did more and more parkruns and also entered numerous road races, including one marathon, 7 half marathons, several 10 milers and 5 miles and numerous 10k and 5k races.

My husband and me eventually emigrated to the Canary Islands, we joined a gym and was weight training 5 or 6 times per week, this eventually stopped when we were ordered to train with masks on at the beginning of 2021, even on the cardio machines, masks were mandatory, neither of us wanted to do that, so we gave up the gym. I was running regularly outdoors, but a sudden health complication caused me to change my tactics, so now, I am power walking every other day and am gradually adding in running, bit by bit, to gauge how it is affecting me, so far all seems okay.

I will be 61 years old soon, if somebody had said to me when I was just starting out on my sporting adventures "you will still be training when over 60" I would have laughed, but here I am and still loving it, (even if it is half killing me now LOL).

That's an amazing story. Congratulations on your determination and what it's given you. I love hearing about athletes who just don't give up.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    What an awesome line-up. Where in UT will you be hiking. That's my neck of the woods, I hike a fair amount. Although snow's on the ground now.

My wife has hiked Bryce and Zion and wants to return. We also have a group of friends pushing us to join them at Antelope Canyon in Az next march. Either place will be a first time visit for me.

Haven't been to Grand Escalante but the southern UT National Parks are breathtaking, I go every year. If you catch the bug there are others. Lake Powell is amazing too.

The challenge is that these ALL sound great. My list of places to visit is longer than my free time and travel budget!
  • Arc2Arc

The challenge is that these ALL sound great. My list of places to visit is longer than my free time and travel budget!

I know the feeling. There’s only so much time and resources. But you’re going to be hitting some at the top of the list.
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    20+ years. I started from a morning jogging and ended up with a master's degree in physical culture and sport. I work out on a daily basis. It's a good stress relief and of course I like what I see in the mirror))))
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,187 Member
    I'm 48, been figure skating since I was 5 so I've been skating for 43 years....at the age of 11 I started training competitively so we'll take that as the start age so we will say 37 years.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    __Di__ wrote: »
    ...fitted out with my first pair of Saucony running shoes. Now I was able to train outdoors, no shin splints, no injuries, nothing!!!

When I first joined my school track team, I got shin splints so bad I could barely walk around school the next day. Took about a week of suffering before I figured out wearing high top shoes (intended for basketball, but were the fashion of the day) were not a good idea for track running. Changing shoes to running shoes made the pain disappear!
    You, sir, epitomize to me what an athlete is.

I need to add this to my MFP bio, lol. Been called a nerd more times than a nerd can count, but this is perhaps the first time I've been called an athlete.
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    At 51, definitely been exercising for 40 years. Really fun to read all the posts - I've played everything and now do spin class, hiking, swimming, golf (walking course) and tons of online classes & yoga. I think the biggest factor is that I'm one of those people who LIKES exercise and likes the endorphins it provides. My goal everyday is just to move my body - regardless of what that looks like it's just a constant.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    Way to go AnnPT77!! I'm in my mid 60"s. I've always been active. We went camping a lot growing up & I water skied. I was active just raising 4 kids, I wasn't overweight then. We would all go walk the dogs together, ride bikes regularly together, play badminton regularly.As they got older, I took a tennis class & loved tennis, I always went to the gym & played racquetball with a friend(not professionally), went to gym classes. Since March of 2020 is when I've become the least active due to a pinched nerve that took months to be pain free, I stopped going to gym due to covid but still worked out at home. The most impact was I used to walk my dogs 5 miles every morning & they got older & weren't able to anymore & I've never walked without my dogs, then I got sick etc so I started getting back to it by walking at home program to supplement my outside walking & I'm sick again(not covid) so after I feel better I'm planning to get back to it but since my last B day, I've slowed down some. What it did for me is just gave me more energy & made me feel good & healthy