Halloween Candy

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    My husband likes to buy the full-size candy bars to give out. The upside (for me at least) is that it discourages me from indulging in the leftovers since they aren't "just a nibble". It turns out that we had a whole case leftover from 2019 just sitting in our pantry the whole time which I didn't see until the trick-or-treaters were already finished for the evening.

BTW, yesterday I did allocate myself one of the Reese's peanut butter cups in my calorie budget. Ate it. Didn't care for it anymore. I have been eating a couple squares of dark chocolate as my evening dessert and the Reese's was just too sweet.

I would call shenanigans but butter cream frosting became too sweet for me for some reason. Kinda pissed me off because I buy this slice of cake I like every year for my birthday and now it's not worth the calories. I did move on to a tre leche with whipped cream frosting tho!

My boss just told me they bought all this candy and had only 8 trick or treaters. They're giving the leftovers to some non profit.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Just don't buy any. We don't have trick or treaters coming to our flat thank god. My other half eats most of the chocolate that comes into our place from say Christmas or Easter. I just don't eat chocolate much so I just don't buy it, no kids either so no issue there.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Wow, several POUNDS of candy left over...where was your house when I was a kid on Halloween? lol

I'm a firm believer in moderation, that allowing yourself small amounts of a treat lead to less overall consumption than strict denial followed by binging, but recognize that some people cannot follow the same advice. So beyond the suggestions above, a couple other thoughts:

One, buy less to begin with. If that means you run out and have to turn off your porch light, thereby turning away additional kids, sorry kids.

Had 50+ kids at our house, down a bit from usual.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Fortunately, my neighborhood isn't really conducive to trick or treating so we don't have anyone coming to the house for candy. We do keep some of the small single candies in the house for my kids that we put in their school lunches for deserts. I'm not particularly tempted by them as I really only like Reece's and Snickers and my youngest is very allergic to peanuts so we don't have those laying around.

In general, I'm just not a big fan of milk chocolate candies. I do have some dark chocolate caramel and sea salt squares that I very much enjoy, but my limit is two after dinner for a little desert.
  • HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    Since they are full size, they are not in a Halloween theme right?
    Just an idea... I LOVE crafting for others. (Like TY for Hosting gifts) for any event/holiday. Make some for that-Thanksgiving? Even Christmas Stocking Stuffers/Crafted Gift Bags?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    If you have leftover Halloween candy, get it out of the house. Give or throw it away. Better it be in a dump than as fat on your body.

Too late - I already ate too much of it. :(
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Ok, so second year in a row (I think) I'm asking this....

Where are all the after halloween candy sales? I haven't seen any on my usual websites. Do you have to physically go into a store for them now? Do they just repackage anything not sold into christmas themed candy bags? I'm *gasp* almost out of my chocolate inventory and I had QUITE the back up!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

Where are all the after halloween candy sales? I haven't seen any on my usual websites. Do you have to physically go into a store for them now? Do they just repackage anything not sold into christmas themed candy bags? I'm *gasp* almost out of my chocolate inventory and I had QUITE the back up!

I have seen a lot in physical stores, but not online, even in the 'click and collect' from a physical store type things.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member

I have seen a lot in physical stores, but not online, even in the 'click and collect' from a physical store type things.

I don't like physical stores. There are people. And lines. And waiting. And waiting in lines with people. :)

And also spending more money than I'd planned. :)

Every time I go into a physical store I buy crap just because it's there, so same. Mostly. Goodwill and the pharmacy are exceptions and only one of those has candy :P
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    An old trick for making friends where I work was to put out a candy bowl. I found them all! If I walked past an office with a candy bowl, I could feel it in my stomach. With half the people working from home, they're all gone, and I hope they never come back. (The bowls, not the people. >:) )
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member

I went to 2 stores yesterday: Walgreens and the grocery store. I looked in the clearance section mainly for Halloween decorations, but also just to see what candy was left. There was hardly anything besides candy corn and the Autumn mix.
  • plattef71
    plattef71 Posts: 34 Member
    Thankfully we had over 150 trick-or-treaters and to make sure, the last kids who came to my door got the rest so I wouldn't be tempted :)
  • HickGurl73
    HickGurl73 Posts: 31 Member
    I buy Snickers.
    I hate Snickers.
    Problem solved.

:D:D:D