Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    I personally avoid the question of how much dressing is to much by not having ANY dressing on my salad. I prefer the crunch of the veggies and actually tasting them, rather than tasting nothing but ranch with the knowledge I'm getting vitamins with each bite. My wife can't understand how I can eat a salad dry, but to each their own.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Not sure if this falls into the category of myth but I am tired of hearing the term "optimized"...
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Blocked and reported.

I'm probably being dense right now, but was this an attempt at humor I don't understand? Or did I somehow offend in a way I don't understand?

Reminds me of my cell phone game I play. I created an account named after a character in my novel, played for years with that name. Now out of the blue, in the chat rooms, my account name is bleeped out as somehow offensive, no explanation given, just bleeped out, whether I'm posting or somebody is citing me by name. So confused...
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I personally avoid the question of how much dressing is to much by not having ANY dressing on my salad. I prefer the crunch of the veggies and actually tasting them, rather than tasting nothing but ranch with the knowledge I'm getting vitamins with each bite. My wife can't understand how I can eat a salad dry, but to each their own.

Well ranch is horrific (imo) but no dressing at all wouldn't cut it for me. A little spritz of oil and vinegar or balsamic just brings out the flavor - if I order a salad in a restaurant I have to have the dressing on the side or it is inedible with the amount they add.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    What's with all the somatotype posts lately?
    It seems like these things go in waves...like whatever Facebook posts are currently making the rounds.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Blocked and reported.

I'm probably being dense right now, but was this an attempt at humor I don't understand? Or did I somehow offend in a way I don't understand?

Reminds me of my cell phone game I play. I created an account named after a character in my novel, played for years with that name. Now out of the blue, in the chat rooms, my account name is bleeped out as somehow offensive, no explanation given, just bleeped out, whether I'm posting or somebody is citing me by name. So confused...

She's just teasing you about your preference for dry salad.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

You should probably call it Undressed Salad and then it'll be all trendy-sounding nouvelle cuisine.

I make a quinoa/chickpea/black bean meatless taco filling and I often dump it on top of a salad instead of dressing.
  • wunderkindking
    Weirdly if I add black olives I can do without dressing.

I mostly don't want to though so I use some light or homemade ranch (greek yogurt + seasoning packet) or, if spinach, a raspberry vingar.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,282 Member
    Upon reading my own post, I realize just how bizarre it sounds to me compared to who I was growing up. I barely tolerated veggies as a kid, and after moving out on my own I never ate veggies, period. Until I met my wife, and though I am the cook of the family, she insisted I add vegetables to every meal, and eat a large portion as a demonstration to our kids. Turns out my tastes have changed from when I was younger, and now I actually LIKE most veggies (certain exceptions remain). Weird.

I also enjoy salads with the dressing on the side. The very first change I ever did, years and years ago from when I tried Weight Watchers. It has stuck with me this whole time.
    Usually I am served a salad with about two teaspoons of dressing next to the salad, in a tiny silicone bowl. And almost always 90% of the dressing goes right back to the kitchen.

I will dip a corner of the salad item in the dressing. But it’s just the tiniest bit.

Also? Before I get blocked and reported….

Soap tastes like cilantro
    😂
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Blocked and reported.

This, but I'm the dude in the picture. The ultra fine woman is my wife. lol
  • Carlos_421
    Ah, like when my son claimed to be a Raiders fan and I "disowned" him.

Exactly that. lol
  • wunderkindking
    Blocked and reported.

I. I should have read your username, huh? Oops!
  • Carlos_421
    Blocked and reported.

I. I should have read your username, huh? Oops!

Haha! The hair steals the photo so it's understandable. lol
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I mostly don't want to though so I use some light or homemade ranch (greek yogurt + seasoning packet) or, if spinach, a raspberry vingar.

I love olives on salad and often add them, but when I don't use them or anything else with fat I prefer to have at least a little olive oil in the dressing (mixed with vinegar), but will use less than with a traditional vinaigrette. If the salad is higher cal, I might cut cals in the dressing by using just vinegar and a spicy mustard. I like the mix of veg and at least a little dressing, however.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Getting back to the original topic -
    You burn more calories in cold weather, so it's OK to eat a a little more over the winter.
  • wunderkindking
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I love olives on salad and often add them, but when I don't use them or anything else with fat I prefer to have at least a little olive oil in the dressing (mixed with vinegar), but will use less than with a traditional vinaigrette. If the salad is higher cal, I might cut cals in the dressing by using just vinegar and a spicy mustard. I like the mix of veg and at least a little dressing, however.

...I hadn't pinged that they're a fat source. Yeah that and the salt is likely why they make the salad a thing I can eat and enjoy without dressing. THANK YOU!
  • wunderkindking
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Getting back to the original topic -
    You burn more calories in cold weather, so it's OK to eat a a little more over the winter.

Well. Shivering burns calories. That's not what anyone means though and most people dont' choose to stay long in any environment where they start shivering.