Weeping when running

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
edited November 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
This might be “just me”, but does anyone else get uncontrollably runny eyes when running? And if I’m not the only one, what causes it?
I don’t think it’s a temperature thing, because I get it all times of year, (although it is worse / more annoying when it’s cold out - mainly due to getting cold cheeks!) and I don’t have streaming eyes when WALKING around even at -5 (Celsius)
It seems to happen pretty much every run for the first kilometre and then stops. It’s as though I am crying with actual tears running down my face.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I get it when it's cold or windy but not otherwise. My sinuses run year around though, thanks to allergies in the summer and cold in the winter. I assume the watery eyes are related to my rhinitis.
  • KNoceros
    Maybe it’s the added draught from running? Seems obvious when you mention wind @spiriteagle99 but I hadn’t thought of it!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    I definitely thought this was a post about crying while/after running and I was HERE FOR IT...ahaha. Where my other crying runners at!?!?! =D

I also have pretty decent allergies related to pollen and live in the midwest so basically all year long I have seasonal allergies. I only really notice my eyes watering when it's windy though..... so maybe you could try getting some drops to keep your eyes moisturized? Maybe your tearducts are over-producing bc your eyes are dry...?

Do you ever wear a billed hat when running, or sunglasses to keep the draft away. I basically always wear sunglasses even if it's not particularly sunny bc of this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I get it in colder weather.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    KNoceros wrote: »
    This might be “just me”, but does anyone else get uncontrollably runny eyes when running? And if I’m not the only one, what causes it?
    I don’t think it’s a temperature thing, because I get it all times of year, (although it is worse / more annoying when it’s cold out - mainly due to getting cold cheeks!) and I don’t have streaming eyes when WALKING around even at -5 (Celsius)
    It seems to happen pretty much every run for the first kilometre and then stops. It’s as though I am crying with actual tears running down my face.

Could be weather, but also exercise induced rhinitis is definitely a thing a pretty common.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16498856/
  • KNoceros
    @cwolfman13 that does sound like a possibility. I wonder whether my work library has access to the full text of that article…
  • KNoceros
    Ooh. They do! Time for a bit of reading…
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    I always get it it colder weather as well. Never when its warm.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited November 2021
    My nose always runs when I run-- warm or cold outside. I always carry a bandanna to wipe my forehead and nose (on different parts!). I'm also pretty expert at shooting snot rockets when no one's looking.

As for rhinitis: I have it bad. But, generally, all my allergies go away when I exercise. It's one of the reasons I like doing it!

Finally, I often run while listening to a podcast. One time, I listened to a particularly sad story and it really choked me up. I had to stop running and walk for a while. :( Sometimes, it's a cruel world.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Perhaps your eyes are drying out because of the increased air speed hitting your face?

Maybe try wearing sunglasses or athletic goggles to shield your eyes from the air current.

Just a thought...
  • KNoceros
    Having read the article @cwolfman13 provided I think I have found my answer.
    I’m going to play with using an antihistamine pre-run and see if that makes a difference.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Not a doctor but it sounds like you have “dry eyes.” I have this - doctor diagnosed.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-eyes/symptoms-causes/syc-20371863

Some things that help:
    - Wear glasses of some sort- sunglasses when it’s bright out. Polarized better than regular. I need a prescription so I wear regular glasses if cloudy/dark but even safety googles work. They keep the wind generated by your movement out. I cannot cycle without eye covering and running is almost as bad.
    - use eye drops that moisturize. Best for me are Bausch and Lomb Soothe XP.
    - be sure home is not overly dry. If you start your run dry, it will get worse fast.

It can be overcome. I run regularly!