All things CPAP

Excess weight can lead to sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea can cause excessive daytime drowsiness. Leading to weight gain.

Chicken/Egg

Let’s support each other here. Tips for getting used to the CPAP mask. How to get the most out of CPAP therapy. Etc.

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,708 MFP Moderator

I found a nose-only mask worked best for me, so I agree with the suggestion to try different masks.

I recommend asking for a machine that has a "ramp up" feature. I think a lot of people give up on CPAP because they're not used to that kind of air pressure or noise and it can be quite strong. My machine had a button to start on a lower pressure for about 30 mins to let me fall asleep. I could never start it on full blast and fall sleep.

Also +1 on the humidifier, particularly a warm one. Mine was a separate unit that connected, with a little heating plate that the water reservoir sat on. I think the humidity was also important for comfort.

I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't need CPAP any more after losing some weight. Sorry to hear you still do @AnnPT77 but at least you've found what works for you. :)

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I've had mine for about 7 years. Also not weight related. My partner (who is also not overweight) has had one for the same time period.

Absolutely try a new mask if it doesn't work for you, but it is critical to give it time. I have tried a couple of masks, nose only, and am back to what I originally started with. Humidifier and heat help. Ramping up helps too.

@AnnPT77 made a super suggestion--consider a different pillow. I didn't realize that even though I am a back sleeper, sometimes I turn on my side. This can be really challenging when you're using a CPAP. I found a pillow from a company called Avocado that has cut up bits of something-or-other, that is so much more comfortable than my favorite down pillow. It provides enough support, but even better, there is something different about rearranging it in my sleepy state that works and I don't fully wake up. Sometimes, it's just grabbing a corner and tugging a little bit toward my feet that lifts my neck a little.

CPAPS take time. To anyone who tried it and hated it, consider the alternative. It isn't a good prognosis for your heart. Our machines are on recall right now, but because we just got brand new ones, we're not going to stop using it until they fix the problem. Good sleep means everything to me now.
  • ONUnicorn
    ONUnicorn Posts: 41 Member
    Regarding pillows: I'm a side sleeper who uses a full face mask. I've found it helps to rotate the pillow so you sleep on the short end instead of the long end. That way your head is supported but the mask hangs off the pillow and doesn't get pushed around.
  • shanek1990
    shanek1990 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2022
    CPAP changed my life. I put off getting checked for years and struggled with tiredness daily. No matter how much sleep I got I was ready for a nap a couple hours after waking up. I personally use a full face mask. It was a little uncomfortable at first but after a couple weeks I was used to it.

One of my biggest issues and frustrations was rainout. I keep my bedroom cold so I had to play with the temperature and humidity settings over time until I corrected the issue.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Great thread. Also don't forget that for those who truly cannot tolerate CPAP, there are alternative sleep apnea treatments. There are so many more options now than there used to be.