What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member

210 minutes (3.5 hours) on my Elliptical. Last time got to 15.25 miles. Faster today because I got to 16 miles!

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member

A 40min spin bike session in my garage this morning. I was a bit sore at the start of the week, so been doing lower intensity workouts for a few days, but felt full of energy today.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member

7-8 am:

Warm-Up

Elliptical - 1mile (8m)

Strength: VE5-10MOM

HSPU - 6-3-3-3-3r (18r)

Pull-up - 12-6-6-6-6r (36r)

Dip - 8-4-4-4-4-r (24r)

• Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member

Today is finally my rest day and my body is going to thank me for it 🤣

Double session bootcamp all week but got my scans and lost 6 inches from my torso in 6 weeks!

• Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    On rest days do you do no exercise? I struggle with rest days because I feel like I should be doing something and then I worry that it will trigger my habit of pushing off exercise.
    Right now I am doing an hour of Fit Body Bootcamp and 30 minutes of walking 5 days a week.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2021
    Jamie2663 wrote: »
    On rest days do you do no exercise? I struggle with rest days because I feel like I should be doing something and then I worry that it will trigger my habit of pushing off exercise.
    Right now I am doing an hour of Fit Body Bootcamp and 30 minutes of walking 5 days a week.

Most of us that workout pretty regularly and harder do take an active rest day from pushing it. For instance, I do seven workouts a week, but two are on Tuesday. Two of the hour workouts are pretty brutal (today is one) and the rest aren't. But I only walk my dogs on Saturday - like a mile. That and walk at the grocery store, so not really what I would consider a true workout.

I know some lifters that lift 7 days a week but those are usually the ones that only work one or two body parts per day.

Really depends on your level of shape, how hard you push and if your body is telling you to take a break. For most, one day of not doing as much is smart training and lets your body recover. My wife, who suffers from Fibromyalgia, might need 3 days off per week. At least two. She doesn't recover as fast as I do.

Today was one of those hard workout days -- 500m sprint rows X 8 with 5 minutes between. During the rowing breaks I did supersets of lifting -- Chest, Shoulders, Legs (all compound movements). That left like 2 minutes of actual rest between the 8 sets. Around 800 calories burned for the hour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Into the repetitious off-season on and off slog, I guess: Today, once again 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) on the rowing machine, with the first two 2' off being around 1:15 very easy rowing (5 strokes row-out, around 1' row-in) and the last a fully rowed CD. Again, aiming for around 2:30 split: Moderately moderate, for a li'l ol' lady. All 3 2Ks were within 00.4 or less of the 2:29.2 average split, average 20spm (according to C2; Garmin says 19). Overall, 6K + 745 'rest' meters.

Unfortunately, mostly (47%) Z4, though roughly the lower half of the zone. HR chest belt seemed well-behaved this time, just the steady rate creep I'd expect at fairly constant effort, topping out at 154 (. . . which is coincidentally 220 minus the age I turn next week 😆! AFAIK, actual max is still around 180, though I haven't made a deliberate attempt to visit max recently, so who knows).

89b03ry3xzqu.png

Progress needs to be made. 😐
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Into the repetitious off-season on and off slog, I guess: Today, once again 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) on the rowing machine, with the first two 2' off being around 1:15 very easy rowing (5 strokes row-out, around 1' row-in) and the last a fully rowed CD. Again, aiming for around 2:30 split: Moderately moderate, for a li'l ol' lady. All 3 2Ks were within 00.4 or less of the 2:29.2 average split, average 20spm (according to C2; Garmin says 19). Overall, 6K + 745 'rest' meters.

Unfortunately, mostly (47%) Z4, though roughly the lower half of the zone. HR chest belt seemed well-behaved this time, just the steady rate creep I'd expect at fairly constant effort, topping out at 154 (. . . which is coincidentally 220 minus the age I turn next week 😆! AFAIK, actual max is still around 180, though I haven't made a deliberate attempt to visit max recently, so who knows).

89b03ry3xzqu.png

According to this (and I have no idea what a HWT or LWT is for women and you might even be a LWT, which would make your times even more impressive), you're killing it.

A 3 X 2K at sub 10 pace, what you just did, especially at rate 20, means your 2K would be around 30 seconds to 40 seconds lower than your interval 2Ks, maybe more since you didn't take the common 5 minute rest for that interval set. You might even be in the 9:10 to 9:20 range if you really pushed a 2K.

I know that's not your thing, but your numbers are a LOT better relative to your grouping than mine!

For a "littl' ol' lady", I've always thought you were kind of a badass.

https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2022/rower/2000?rower=rower&age=60-69&weight=H&gender=F
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2021

89b03ry3xzqu.png

According to this (and I have no idea what a HWT or LWT is for women and you might even be a LWT, which would make your times even more impressive), you're killing it.

A 3 X 2K at sub 10 pace, what you just did, especially at rate 20, means your 2K would be around 30 seconds to 40 seconds lower than your interval 2Ks, maybe more since you didn't take the common 5 minute rest for that interval set. You might even be in the 9:10 to 9:20 range if you really pushed a 2K.

I know that's not your thing, but your numbers are a LOT better relative to your grouping than mine!

https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2022/rower/2000?rower=rower&age=60-69&weight=H&gender=F

That's so kind! Thank you!

Yes, I'm a lightweight: For women, <= 135 pounds (61.5kg) is LWT in indoor rowing, and I'm around 125ish. At best, I've been in the 50-75 percentile range in C2 rankings for various distances, have never ranked anything longer than 30:00 timed. (I take the C2 rankings with a grain of salt, because I know lot of really good rowers don't rank erg workouts or do indoor races at all. On-water times really aren't comparable.) As a HWT, while still obese or near-obese, my indoor race times were within a second of 8:40, at best, but I was 48/49 then. I think you've gotten closer to top-ranked times for your age/weight class than I ever have. Looks like the last 2K piece I ranked was 9:27.0 (2:21.7 pace, my notes say 22spm, 70th percentile in C2 rankings), in January 2021. Fastest ranked 2K as a LWT was 9:07.3 (2:16.8 pace, my notes say 25spm, 66th percentile) in 2018 (at age 62).

Usually, in the Fall/Winter when I start erging again after on-water season, I don't like my HR/split correlations. At 2:30, I'd like to be staying Z3, or close. Age and the COPD will catch up with me (maybe have?), but usually I see some improvement in this realm over the Winter, so I'm hoping I'll see lower HRs at this pace later this year with some practice/patience, if I stick with it. We didn't do much race-pace or interval work this summer on water . . . it was just so stinkin' hot. I'll need to settle down to a slower pace, keep HR lower for a while, probably, now.

Again, thanks for the kind comments.

ETA: Keep in mind, looking at the C2 rankings for the current season, that we don't have the big indoor races in the 2K rankings yet. Those will start to come in more after the new year, and will include race times by some fast people who do an indoor race or two, but who don't usually log/rank workouts on the C2 sites. My performance (or most people's) looks better now, percentile-wise, than it will come Spring. 😉
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    [

^ Truth.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    First some strength training today:
    - 4 sets of dumbell step-ups
    - 3 sets of barbell bench press
    - 3 sets of barbell shoulder presses
    - 2 sets of dumbell flys
    - 2 sets of leg hip raises

Followed by 4000 meters of indoor rowing in 22 minutes, easy effort (as confirmed by my Garmin, Z2 or lower).
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    I did the hard (for me) yoga class with body weight strength training. I'm still a little sore from the last round (3 days ago), so I wasn't sure what to expect. I did pretty well, considering. It will be interesting to see how I feel tomorrow.

Followed this up this afternoon with a spirited family game of badminton (I live in a part of the US where autumn means you can finally go outside without melting your face off).
  • Arc2Arc
    Arc2Arc Posts: 484 Member
    edited November 2021
    Resistance training at the gym for 75 minutes with an emphasis on core. Later in the day a 4 mile hike.

I estimate a calorie burn of 100 for my 75 minute resistance workout with typical 90 second rest between sets and 23 sets. I figure actual is more and that’s an underestimate but over time seems to work out about right. It could be off-setting other mis-estimates.

Any opinions?
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2021
    Super easy pace stationary bike, the usual fake 10k + 3' CD, but slower, so just over half an hour total, nothing above Z2.
    Arc2Arc wrote: »
    Resistance training at the gym for 75 minutes with an emphasis on core. Later in the day a 4 mile hike.

I estimate a calorie burn of 100 for my 75 minute resistance workout with typical 90 second rest between sets and 23 sets. I figure actual is more and that’s an underestimate but over time seems to work out about right. It could be off-setting other mis-estimates.

Any opinions?

For strength training, calorie estimating is even more of a black art than for some other things. From best I can determine by listening to people way smarter than me about it, standard rep/set strength training with rests between sets is one case where the MFP METS-based database estimates are about as reasonable as any method, and much more reasonable than some other methods (heart rate: ugh). I use the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry under Cardiovascular, count the whole time from start to finish of workout, unless I take a longer than standard rest/break somewhere in there (if I do, I subtract that from the total time). 🤷‍♀️
  • MikePfirrman
    edited November 2021

Any opinions?

The only useful thing for my arm band HRM is the gym. When in doubt, use a HRM for calorie estimates. My chest HRM is great for the rower but the arm one is terrible, but it's much more comfortable and seems surprisingly accurate for when I'm at the gym. It's a Wahoo ANT+.
  • MikePfirrman
    Made my long and slow cardio day actually that. Did 1:20 on the rower (14K and some meters) @ a very slow pace (around 2:40 pace) but never exceeded 65% max HR for the duration. Felt easy throughout. Listened to a different play list to keep me from being mind-numbingly bored.

Beautiful morning on the deck too, which didn't hurt. Around 65 and sunny clear skies.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Did the first of a six week spin/core series led by a friend who is a spin/barre/kickboxing instructor. She put it together for her group of endurance focused friends. It was 75 minutes of spinning, with a challenging endurance block ending in a tabata routine. 15 minutes of core work followed. Kicked my butt.

She's planning to offer a 90 min spin/30 minute barre series beginning in January. Not quite sure I'm ready for that.
  • AnnPT77
    Super easy pace stationary bike, the usual fake 10k + 3' CD, but slower, so just over half an hour total, nothing above Z2.

Any opinions?

For strength training, calorie estimating is even more of a black art than for some other things. From best I can determine by listening to people way smarter than me about it, standard rep/set strength training with rests between sets is one case where the MFP METS-based database estimates are about as reasonable as any method, and much more reasonable than some other methods (heart rate: ugh). I use the "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" entry under Cardiovascular, count the whole time from start to finish of workout, unless I take a longer than standard rest/break somewhere in there (if I do, I subtract that from the total time). 🤷‍♀️

With apologies, I wasn't able to put my keyboard fingers on this last night before bedtime, but this is some of the background about why I believe HRMs aren't the best option for estimating strength training calories:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view?id=hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

Additional detail in this:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201003

Both of those are older articles, but largely reliant on physiology information that hasn't changed, even though some of the technical particulars about HRMs in them have become quite outdated, with advances in more multi-functional fitness trackers and their increasingly sophisticated algorithms based on measurements that go beyond HR.

It appears that some of the better-regarded multi-sport fitness trackers now use METS in their strength training calorie estimates, rather than exclusively relying on heart rate.

This is only vaguely on topic to this thread, triggered by @Arc2Arc's direct question. If we want to discuss/debate further, we should probably take it to the Debate Club area, or at least its own thread in Fitness and Exercise.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Wow, feeling sore today from my strength training yesterday, mixing it up by doing a push pull split (and increasing the number of sets per muscle group) and introducing leg hip raises definitely had an effect :D

Today's workout was a shorter run: 5.5km in 39min22, intervals alternating 8kph and 9.5 kph.