Peels, Cores, Pits, Etc.

When you enter a food by weight does that include the inedible bits - like a banana peel? I just had a Honeycrisp apple. It weighed 201 grams, but I didn't actually eat 201 grams of apple because I didn't eat the core. I know it's not a lot of calories, but I was just wondering!

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    It would be insane for a database to include the calories in banana peel. Apple core is harder to define but the principle is the same.

An apple is listed as 52 calories per 100 grams. See the handy USDA database that uses 'edible portion'
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/list
    I assume it doesn't include the core

I've just weighed an apple core and it was 22 grams. So it may contain about 11 calories.

If the database value doesn't include the core then you'll be correct. If it does include the core then you'll be penalising yourself by 11 calories. It's what's known as a correct side error.

Incidentally, I eat the core - it's good for you. It makes the apple simpler to eat and you only have the stalk for disposal - I sometimes eat that too.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I only weigh the edible parts of things - meat included. You can weigh the whole thing then when you finish eating it weigh what's left over and subtract to find the 'edible' part or just cut it and throw out the cores then weigh what you are going to eat.

It's not a huge thing with an apple but when you get into chicken legs or steaks there can be up to 100 calories of 'extra' from the bones and fat.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    As was stated, the calories are just the edible portion.

However, with the exception of bananas and oranges (or other fruits with relatively heavy refuse), I just weigh and log the entire fruit. It is error on the side of conservatism, saves time, and at the end of the day, really doesn't matter much.
  • jaykal001
    jaykal001 Posts: 24 Member
    As was stated, the calories are just the edible portion.

However, with the exception of bananas and oranges (or other fruits with relatively heavy refuse), I just weigh and log the entire fruit. It is error on the side of conservatism, saves time, and at the end of the day, really doesn't matter much.

My thoughts too. I don't count it as a buffer or anything, but hopefully it just helps with anything i mis-calculate
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The database doesn't include the banana peel. I don't know what portion of an orange is included. Some of us remove the zest and eat the rest of the peel. And some people will include the zest in what they are cooking. With apples, the only thing that isn't edible is the seeds, which are mildly poisonous.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    When I weigh my apple, I weigh the whole thing...it never occurred to me not to. I figure it all evens out in the end.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I weigh apples whole and just go with what it says. Bananas are different - when I am planning on eating all of it, I weigh it with the peel. If I'm going to freeze half, I weigh the half out of the peel. Those few calories don't matter much to me right now since I have so much to lose. I always round up on what I eat anyway just to be safe.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    There is no core...
    2013-05-02-byebyeapplecorefoodbeast.jpg

And in all seriousness, I just chalk it up to a few extra calories counted as eaten that likely make up for some other small error I've made.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2015
    Calories are typically tracked by "usage serving portion" using the "food composition data" format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_composition_data). When a company sends a package product such with typically uneaten parts (say a prepackage chicken breast on the bone) its the content removed from the bone manually and incerated to measure the kcals. All byproduct is discarded so if you say boiled that bones for "bone broth" that would be extra calroies outside whats tracked. Same with an apple core, orange peel, etc which are edible but typically not eaten.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    I only log what i eat. So weigh it and eat it...when parts are left over i weigh those and substract..like a cor of an apple
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Weigh apple. Eat apple. Weigh left over core. Use the magic of math (subtraction specifically) to determine how many grams of apple you've actually eaten.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    When i make chicken soup i use the whole chicken to weigh it first than cook/broil the soup for hours.

Than get the chicken of the bones and what is left i weigh again and subtract that.
    Why should i log calories i didn't eat?

Not even for the fact that it are a few calories, but more for the fact you didn't get any nutrition's of it either.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    I always presumed if I logged something like a chicken drumstick the bone would be factored in! I guess that could explain why they seem so high in calories for what you get compared to eating chicken in other ways!
  • MJPettengill
    MJPettengill Posts: 1 Member
    As for the Apple Core, sure it may not be a big difference for those just tracking Calories, but some of us are very precisely tracking Macros โ€” and a core can mean a difference of 5+ grams of carb. In some nutritional programs, 5g seriously makes a difference. So I weigh apple, eat apple, weigh core, subtract core weight. ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    The original thread and all posts till the one before mine were made over 6 years ago.

However principle remains the same - from a calorie point of view count only the part you eat - unless for convenience you want to just weigh whole thing and consider it rounded up.

Or if you are wanting to be super precise for whatever reason, weigh the core, peel,stone etc and subtract from the whole thing.
    Or weigh the fruit already de cored, de stoned, peeled.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    edited November 2021
    Wait. Hold up.
    You guys that eat the core, didn't your mama ever tell you that you'll have an apple tree growing in your tummy when you eat those seeds?

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I assume the weight does not include seeds or pits. What I often do is cut up and weigh the edible portion, and then with other fruits of similar size, I use the same weight and eat the fruit whole if I want to.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    edited November 2021
    Wait. Hold up.
    You guys that eat the core, didn't your mama ever tell you that you'll have an apple tree growing in your tummy when you eat those seeds?

I love the core, so I figure if a tree starts to grow it'll just keep me feeling full longer. It would be a win win situation! Lol.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited November 2021
    My working assumption is there's a ten to fifteen percent "margin of error" on just about every metric for calorie / macro counting and exercise energy burn that I'm using, and further that it doesn't make any difference in achieving long term targets. If my (2000) target calories over or undershoot by 200 on a day it's nothing to bother with, but if at the end of the week there's an extra full day's calories, "8 Days a Week" is a Beatles song not a diet plan. Same for protein/carb/fat macros, which are actually more important to me.