Whats the Healthiest Thanksgiving Food Item?

Whats the Healthiest Thanksgiving Food Item? 38 votes

Turkey
57% 22 votes
Ham
2% 1 vote
Cranberry Sauce
2% 1 vote
Dressing
0% 0 votes
Deviled Eggs
0% 0 votes
Mashedpottatos
0% 0 votes
Green Beans
36% 14 votes
Sodas
0% 0 votes

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    Anything and everything that you feel like eating on Thanksgiving.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,241 Member
    It can all be perfectly healthy. Moderation is key... and heck, one day without moderation isn't going to set back your health goals. In fact, it may help your mental health to enjoy the foods that are connected to good memories and time with loved ones.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Healthiest in what way? The turkey will have the most protein followed by the ham. Cranberry sauce will have a ton of antioxidants. Dressing? Guess it depends on how you make it. I use sourdough which is fermented and good for gut bacteria...I also use a lot of herbs and cucumber and mushrooms. Deviled eggs? I eat eggs every stinkin' day, so I don't see anything wrong with them. Contrary to popular belief, potatoes are an excellent source of nutrition, particularly vitamin C and potassium and they're a pretty decent source of veg protein as well. Leave the skins on for even more nutrients and fiber. Green beans...it's a vegetable, lots of good micro-nutrition. I only drink diet sodas, so that one would be completely irrelevant.

When talking nutrition, you can't really put things in a vacuum. You have to look at nutrition in the context of the whole. Personally, I don't find there to be anything inherently unhealthy in a traditional holiday feast...really, the issue is the feasting and overindulgence itself, not individual food items.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    What's the reasoning behind the question?

Individual foods, with only a few exceptions like trans fats, aren't healthy or unhealthy, IMO. Overall ways of eating (averaged over a day or few) can be relatively more or less healthy.

Context and dosage matter: Virtually any non-poisonous food can make a needful nutritional contribution, in the right context. Even pure sugar can be a godsend to the ultra-runner during an event, y'know, because bonking (a.k.a. hitting the wall) is not a good or healthy thing.

Everything on your list except *maybe* soda (unless running a marathon on the holiday or something) seems reasonably nutritionally useful to me, in reasonable portions/proportions. Even the soda isn't the end of the world, it just doesn't add much other than calories, nutritionally speaking, and our holiday context usually provides plenty of calories without it. I grant that the turkey and a few other things would probably cause me personally some digestive distress, because I haven't eaten meat (intentionally anyway) since 1974. But most people wouldn't have that problem.

No vote at all from me.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I voted Turkey, but Thanksgiving for me is a I am not counting and I will eat absolutely everything I want to eat day. I still log it, because I track my intake monthly and I balance it out the rest of the month, my record if 5600 calories lol. I usually plan for about 4500 for the day and lower my intake the rest of the month to compensate
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    My choice was 'turkey'. However, for me - it's not. I'm a vegetarian lol! I'll pick the sweet potatoes or beans w/out all the stuff that is typically added them. Just steam or roasted would be my pick.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Having sadness re MFP. Too many challenges about dear friends who belong and I can’t find them any more. I am sad at what has happened to us all.
    Katla
  • elaroch05
    elaroch05 Posts: 29 Member
    Healthy in what way? AND also how something is prepared could make a huge difference on how "healthy" an item is...like...sweet potatoes loaded with marshmallows vs. a savory nut topping would have different calorie AND nutrient profiles.
  • I voted turkey, since I don't eat anything but meat, fats, and eggs.. deviled eggs would be my 2nd, and green beans 3rd. I wouldn't touch the rest of them.

A vegan on the other hand might do better with some options I don't consume, like cranberry sauce.

It is kind of cool that turkey beat out green beans. Most people go for the vegetables.. not realizing meat is much more nutritious.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    It's Thanksgiving and it's once a year so I don't worry about it. I'll have a plate of stuffing, please.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    If I make them, it's the green beans since I don't add fat or meat. Second would be my cranberry sauce, made with fresh cranberries, one orange, a heap of celery, and just a dash of stevia.

I also make pretty clean dressing with vegan cornbread (no oil or butter), and tons of celery, onions and sage. Topped with mushroom gravy, it's my favorite part of the meal :-)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,707 Member
    If I make them, it's the green beans since I don't add fat or meat. Second would be my cranberry sauce, made with fresh cranberries, one orange, a heap of celery, and just a dash of stevia.

I also make pretty clean dressing with vegan cornbread (no oil or butter), and tons of celery, onions and sage. Topped with mushroom gravy, it's my favorite part of the meal :-)

What time do I come over for this!? 😄
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

What time do I come over for this!? 😄

Can we carpool to her house? I'm ok taking the scraps of what's leftover.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    For me, it is brussels sprouts. When I used to eat meat, I would put turkey up there too. This year I’m making a lentil loaf which is pretty darned healthy.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ^^Lentil loaf is so so yum!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I cook for my in-laws - 20 of them. I looked back and last year I apparently had stuffing and mashed potatoes for lunch and booked 400 calories so it wasn't very much of either. Then for dinner I had 4oz turkey breast, jellied cranberry sauce from the can, Brussels sprouts, and a little gravy. Another 450 calories. I weighed 177, now 172. Maybe a little desert this year.

Turkey is the most nutritious. I'm on turkey Spam now. 2oz = 80 calories.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    IMO, turkey w/o the skin and/or gravy would be the healthiest TG food item based on its high protein and low fat content.

If you don't eat meat, then any veggie w/o any butter or or other dairy products would be next best.

Adding skin, gravy, butter, sour cream, salt, oil/fat and whatever else makes things taste "better" pretty much negates the basic nutritional benefit of turkey and veggies but we "celebrate" TG only once a year.

LOL! ;)