The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Lovely cooler evening weather with a couple of rainy nights, so Evac Alerts and Orders for our local fires are rescinded as things begin to get under control. The assisting Mexican bomberos and Australian firefighters are headed home this week - a huge thumbs-up for the extra help!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,166 Member
    Been raining for the last week. After all the fires I know it’s going to cause mud slides. Those poor people in the fire zones can’t catch a break.
  • canadjineh
    We are down to cold and sunny now, only 5C today, with frost and below 0 temps overnights. I almost forgot about my tire changeover last Friday (I made the appointment 3 weeks previous), was on my way into town for other errands when we remembered and had to hurry back home to throw the winters into the trunk and back seat so I could 'get 'er done.' We are heading to Whistler for 4 days as a bit of a break from all the work and family care that has been non-stop for the past while, and will definitely need our snow tires on for that. We got a great deal, right in the village a block off the main drag, kitchenette, jetted soaker tub, gas fireplace and Lily our cat is also welcome. Only $99 a night with free underground parking and WiFi.
  • Lorelei19
    Lorelei19 Posts: 107 Member
    Hello!
  • sufferlandrian
    Hello! Been awhile since someone posted on here. Good to see you.
  • s1im62
    s1im62 Posts: 28,962 Member
    jt_alucard wrote: »
    is anyone else not liking the new forums!! ughhh

Happened across this post from 2014. History repeats? 😅
  • Lorelei19
    @sufferlandrian Good to see you, too! I'm trying to make MFP a daily thing so I can finally get rid of this excess weight I'm carting around, so I figured I'd pop in and say hello to everyone. See what's new.

@s1im62 Yeah.... they always like to "make positive changes" that really end up just not being good at all. I don't mind this so far, though.
  • sufferlandrian
    I just have a more difficult time finding things. I'm sure once I get used to it, things will make more sense but for now it's difficult. It was necessary to make large changes to get the platform more secure and more modern but large changes at one time are tough to adjust to.
  • Lorelei19
    @sufferlandrian Yeah, I took a break from MFP and when I got back it was pretty different. I've found it's been a challenge trying to figure things out, as well. I hope you're having better luck with it.
  • sufferlandrian
    Finally getting things figured out. I bookmarked the thread and now it's easier to find it. The top right of the page has a "Ribbon". You click on that to book mark a page. When you pull up the community page the box on the right has bookmarks. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Hi all nightshifters! It's been awhile since I was on and yep, it's a bit of a chore to find stuff again. We never did get to Whistler as all Hwys to the coast were washed out and filled with mudslides, and bridges are gone. It's been almost a month since the 'atmospheric river' hit and dumped months worth of rain in just a couple days, and there is only one hwy open presently - to essential traffic only like trucking (food, mail, etc) and emergency vehicles. 5 people ended up dying in the slides and when one woman's house was washed away downriver - whole small towns had to be evacuated.
    Talk about climate change :o we had 20C here at the beginning of December (!) and within two days it was below zero and snowing as normal.
    srx7s6q8ypoe.png
    pff39klirsge.png
    nij8ducivfhj.png

Stay safe, everyone!
  • sufferlandrian
    Wow! That's bad. I can't remember seeing it that bad there before but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. We got a good amount of snow here and then a warm front came over today so it's raining on top of it. Avalanche hazard is going through the roof.
  • Lorelei19
    Schew, that's intense. I hope you're doing well, though, through all that.
  • sufferlandrian
    @canadjineh - don’t you have another wave of moisture coming through your area this weekend?
  • canadjineh
    @sufferlandrian - you bet! In fact the only hwy open has now been closed this afternoon due to snowfall accumulations and commercial transport trucks spinning out and causing blockages and accidents. Where I am it is sunny and 6C, but the weather gets wrung out in the mountains between us and the Coast, so I'm not surprised. Crossing fingers that everyone on the roads are safe, and that sometime soon more goods will get thru.
  • sufferlandrian
    They keep telling us we are going to get hammered with snow but it never comes. We got about 2 inches of snow about a week ago but it's warmed up since then and it's almost gone. Montana hasn't failed me yet with snow on the ground for Christmas so I think we will get more soon.
  • sufferlandrian
    Finally getting snow but it's a rain snow mix. That's just going to make a mess down here in the valley. Fortunately it will make for great snowpack in the mountains.
  • sufferlandrian
    Up to four inches of snow so far. It's a start. Cross Country skiing will start soon. :smile:
  • canadjineh
    Beautiful snow and sunshine here, but super cold for us thru into the beginning of January. Today and yesterday it was -27C when I got up to feed Lily. That's -17F. Too cold to go out tonight for the annual end of year lantern ski at our local x-country trails. Especially since we cannot gather in the big log chalet afterward to drink cider, eat goodies, and warm up - due to COVID health protocols.
    Today I'm just at home working on my refund request to our travel insurance provider... we had booked a trip to the Azores at the beginning of Dec for mid to end of January. Decided it would be smart to follow Canadian Gov't instructions of "Level 3 - Avoid Non-essential Travel Outside of Canada." I cancelled the trip well before the time limit for full refund or credit ended, so now I just have to get our money back from the insurance provider since we aren't even going and no claim against the insurance will be made. Crossing my fingers....you know how insurance companies can be. :|

How's everybody doing out there? B)
  • sufferlandrian
    Gun shot wounds are usually so messy. I can’t believe we didn’t even need to sedate this dog. Clean through and through with only skin penetration.