Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What determines how your life will be?

ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I hope this can remain nonpolitical so it stays but lately I've been thinking a lot about how our lives turn out, what it takes individually to 'make something of ourselves' versus 'blaming our childhood/environment, etc., etc.'

Is our success rooted in our family's ties, origins, family's successes, or does coming from poverty, abuse, etc., create a more challenging and/or impossible likelihood of being successful in life. I guess another question would be what is your definition of success?

I've been lucky enough to know people that were raised in less than fortunate circumstances yet rise above all their challenges to be happy. But I also know a couple people who choose to blame the world, and their childhood, for every single thing that happens to them.

One celebrity that comes to mind right off, is Oprah Winfrey. But I know there are many many who have risen above and beyond, despite rough childhoods.

Just interested in people's perspective is all. :) How far does our beginning in life go towards creating who we are? And what other factors do you feel come into play?

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited November 2021
    It comes down to personality traits and genetics. The phrase anyone can succeed is funny, someone with an IQ of 85 can never become a lawyer no matter how hard he tries. Intellectual capabilities are not evenly distributed in the population.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think our environment and how we were raised most definitely has an impact on how successful we are. I think how we are parented may have an even more important role than physical circumstances of our upbringing. It influences how healthy we are (physically and mentally) and character traits tied to success such as perseverance/resilience, empathy, self-control, curiosity, and integrity. These traits are just as important (if not more so) more important than doing "well" academically. Of course, people who are born and raised in more advantageous circumstances (and in that I also include ethnicity and even gender) may automatically have more opportunities for so-called better education, better-paying jobs, not to mention better housing etc., that we often equate with an outward appearance of "success."
    What people who come from what most might consider more disadvantaged backgrounds have vs. those who don't is plenty of opportunities to build and cultivate resilience. Resilience is a hugely important trait when it comes to not only "success," but mental health as well. That's not saying that it wasn't and isn't way harder for those who have many more obstacles to overcome than those who don't, and I think it's ok for those people to acknowledge how hard it is/was. I also think it's understandable why people who come from more disadvantaged backgrounds to struggle more with things like better education, better-paying jobs, health (weight included) and addiction, for example. However, I think kind of the opposite of resilience is getting stuck in that "woe is me" attitude and blaming everything and everyone and not making attempts to move ahead.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I also think we have to differentiate between personal success and professional success.

I know too many people who have achieved great professional success, but they admit that their personal life is a disaster.

They would still describe themselves as "successful" because they have a good job, a lot of money, and a big house.

But, if it were me, I wouldn't consider my LIFE as a success unless I was healthy, happy, and engaged in good relationships.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    A distinction no one seems to have made so far is whether we're talking individually or statistically.

To give a non-political (at least for the past 1400 years) example of the difference, the empress Theodora started life as an... entertainer, to sanitize it for mfp (a child entertainer from a modern perspective, to be specific) and became arguably the most powerful woman of her time... but I hope I don't need to justify that, statistically speaking, your birth was rather an important thing back in the 6th century...
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    It comes down to personality traits and genetics. The phrase anyone can succeed is funny, someone with an IQ of 85 can never become a lawyer no matter how hard he tries. Intellectual capabilities are not evenly distributed in the population.

I have seen numerous stories of adults with Down Syndrome (who would be considered "intellectually disabled" by measuring their IQ's) who are successful in terms of owning their own businesses, getting married, modeling and working in professions that they love. Seems like they succeeded at doing what they wanted to do, despite having low IQ's. Having a high IQ doesn't guarantee any kind of professional success either, especially if they struggle with skills not measured by a standard IQ test (which is actually relatively common in those with measured high IQ's).
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

Having a high IQ doesn't guarantee any kind of professional success either, especially if they struggle with skills not measured by a standard IQ test (which is actually relatively common in those with measured high IQ's).

I never said it did.

I was talking about professional because the defnition of success is so vague it has yet to be defined here. So my post was about professional success.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Most peoples 'success' is determined by what other people think.
    Likes on a social media page and what your job title and relationship status is.
    Not forgetting your bank balance and how much 'stuff' you own.
    Validation is 'success'

• ReenieHJ
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I believe it's subjective because "success" means different things to people. For some it's money, some relationships, some meeting a lifelong goal (say climbing Mt. Everest), etc.

While I believe that anyone can achieve what they want that's reasonable, HOW hard it is for them varies. For some it comes easy and for others, they may struggle.

I worked in sales organizations where all they thought about was money and that was the sign of their success. I worked long hard hours and really didn't enjoy that much, but did it for 12 years because I thought money defined me.

Later, I decided to go after my passion........health and fitness. And that's what I do today. I LOVE MY JOB. The hours I put in don't seem hard or crazy even though I may work 45 hour a week or more. I'm not rich doing it, but I live within my means and am quite happy. Stress is super low and I come to work enthusiastic every day. How many people can really say they totally love what they do for a living?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That, right there, would be part of how I'd define success. Loving what you do and doing what you love. Making enough money to pa the bills with a bit left over would help as well. Having the love and respect of family and friends makes life worth living. But it all needs to come together and be the glue that defines success. I guess in a nutshell success could be defined as contentment with your life.
  • ReenieHJ
    Likes on a social media page and what your job title and relationship status is.
    Validation is 'success'

Interesting point. I think a certain amount of validation helps create a circle of support to motivate or inspire a person but really isn't or shouldn't be what it currently has come to be, to define success. :( We pay way too much attention to things that don't matter in our lives, such as all the media influencers, etc. But more towards validation from loved ones. And even then, we need to know(for ourselves) where to draw that line.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Validation is 'success'

Interesting point. I think a certain amount of validation helps create a circle of support to motivate or inspire a person but really isn't or shouldn't be what it currently has come to be, to define success. :( We pay way too much attention to things that don't matter in our lives, such as all the media influencers, etc. But more towards validation from loved ones. And even then, we need to know(for ourselves) where to draw that line.

Validation in the form of social media is addictive.
    I'm not judging anyone that uses it as like you say a tool to motivate or inspire - but it's mostly ego boosting bragging that usually only has a small element of truth in it.
    Every time I Google someone I know well their online persona is usually hugely exaggerated.
    They're always really 'successful' in their bios.
    If we were to have honest social media then most people would just be ordinary - and that's OK!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    my idea of success is not being the most senior or top position in my proffession or having the most money or the most things.

It is doing a job I like and that I am good at and do my best in and having a loving family and friends and contributing to my community and having a happy productive life.

those things are influenced by our upbringing too - a loving supportive family and the support and mental capacity to have occupational options in life and money handling skills - makes it easier to have this success than somebody who has poor relationship models and impacts of childhood trauma, for example

But I don't consider somebody who is CEO of a big company to be more successful than somebody who works in a low paying job that they like and do well and both or neither could have successful personal lives.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    You make some good points there Mike.

But I disagree with this: Stanford University did a study years ago following people that did goal planning versus those that didn't. Those that did were widely more successful than those that didn't following them for around a decade (I believe). I've always been a strong believer in five year planning. Start with where you want to be and work backward. Franklin Planner seminars are great. Panda Planner is also a wonderful tool.

Well l dont disagree that they did a study - but I wonder what their criteria for 'more successful' were.
    Obviously a subjective term

and I have a huge dislike of 5 year planning - I think a go with the flow and make decisions according to what happens in life is much better than having a formal 5 year plan.
    My absolute pet hate is workplace appraisals that ask Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    My answer was always Still here if my circumstances are the same, somewhere else if they are not..

I consider myself to be successful, according to my own criteria given upthread, and I have never ever done 5 year plans.