Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I fear its likely he is unvaccinated. I'm relieved for him that he is keeping going. I think I remember some countries were trying giving extra antibodies, (not relying on the ones we should make for ourselves which can be slow building up), for those who have active lingering illness. I hope he recovers soon. I can't remember where I read this but sometimes those who have "long covid" do better once they have had the vaccine. it might be the vaccine educates the immune system so it kicks in and over comes the lingering effects. One thing is sure, this is some nasty virus.

It sounds as if you have a responsible employer with the workforces well being at heart. Would we being older, could get the booster vaccines here as easily.

Take care, Keep safe.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Been MIA for a bit. Juggling lots. Anyhow, DH and I are planning on getting our boosters the week after thanksgiving and we are debating what choice to make. The two of us had Pfiser for our initial two. My husband keeps commenting on "how bad" his reaction was, though I don't think it was worse than a 24 hour flu. The question I am posing is, would you suggest the Pfiser booster or switching to the Moderna? Any insights? @summerskier I think I recall you making a post about a month ago about choosing to get boostered with your opposite vaccine.

Sorry if this is an old topic, but I have not mastered MFP searches. :)
  • SModa61
    thanks @suzysunshine99 I think we will stay with the Pfizer. @fuzzipeg I agree that I do not think the "update" was an improvement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Been MIA for a bit. Juggling lots. Anyhow, DH and I are planning on getting our boosters the week after thanksgiving and we are debating what choice to make. The two of us had Pfiser for our initial two. My husband keeps commenting on "how bad" his reaction was, though I don't think it was worse than a 24 hour flu. The question I am posing is, would you suggest the Pfiser booster or switching to the Moderna? Any insights? @summerskier I think I recall you making a post about a month ago about choosing to get boostered with your opposite vaccine.

I got Pfizer for my first two as well as my booster. I got my booster at CVS and they told me it was no problem if I wanted to mix and match, but I just went with what I had initially. I think side effects are completely random. I didn't have anything with my first two or my booster except for a mildly sore arm. My mom had Moderna and she had no reaction to the first and mild side effects with the second and nothing with the booster. My wife also had Pfizer with no reactions to any of the shots. A friend of ours has had mild side effects with all three of her shots...those being mainly feeling a bit fatigued and "under the weather", but no fever or anything like that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I had Pfizer, Pfizer, Moderna. I agree with everyone that the side effects are pretty random. I had no reaction to the first, felt like I was coming down with something for about half a day with the second, and mostly just had a sore arm with the booster.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Made my booster appointment for after Thanksgiving also. I had Pfizer for the first two and only reaction was sore arm and extreme fatigue. I neglected to ask what the booster will be but will settle for either Pfizer or Moderna. Will reschedule if it's J&J.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    I got the J&J in April. It kind of kicked my butt for a second. I had a fever, chills, and body aches by dinnertime, didn't get much sleep, but felt better the next morning.

I just got Pfizer on Friday. Felt fine other than a sore arm that day. Woke up Saturday kind of achy and tired like I was coming down with something, and my arm was still sore. Sunday I was fine.

Agreed that side effects seem really random across the board. The immune system is weird :blush:
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Exactly I had the Pfizer with my vaccines and just went with it for my booster too- I was fine-for my second shot- I had a slight reaction like mild flu just overnight- the booster went fine- just a sore arm as I usually have even when I get the flu shot each year- so I am so thankful to have them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Earlier today there was talk (BBC News) of vaccines which create a "T cell" immune reaction are likely better than those which do not.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »

My doctor suggested getting the same brand booster as the initial pokes. Did so, no issues.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    I had Pfizer for the original vaccine and wanted Moderna for my booster but Walgreens (where I scheduled mine) said they would only give you what you had originally. They probably don't want to deal with a 1000 questions. I could switch to using CVS if they let you choose which one you get but I want it sooner rather than later to maximize my immune system prior to winter.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Hadn't looked at this for a while but seems counterinitiative. If you enter Chicago from a state with more that 15 cases per 100k population you are suppose to quarantine. Per the most recent map, the states that are "good' are some of the one's that tended to fight restrictions/vaxes, etc.

Don't really understand.

1nlodho2mwmn.png
  • SModa61
    Thanks all. I did our scheduling last night. Getting a booster in Florida was a piece of cake (flying there on Tuesday). We set it up for Pfizer booster next Friday morning. We’ll arrive at our condo Wednesday, buy groceries and such Thursday, shot Friday, and plan on quiet day Saturday.

@Theoldguy1 i remember when earliest rounds of travel quarantines existed. Massachusetts was quite strict. The irony was the Mass statistics at the time were worse than anywhere I was traveling from. As for your latest chart, I think current weather is a key component. Right now, more northerly states are heading inside for heat, while those yellow state residents are heading outside and away from air conditioning.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Hadn't looked at this for a while but seems counterinitiative. If you enter Chicago from a state with more that 15 cases per 100k population you are suppose to quarantine. Per the most recent map, the states that are "good' are some of the one's that tended to fight restrictions/vaxes, etc.

Don't really understand.

Probably a couple of explanations: (1) it's tended to be seasonal and moved from the south last summer north over the winter, so that part was expected to happen again; and (2) it really burned through the Florida to TX states over the summer -- I have a case in MS so have been following events there, and the death rate was quite bad, as well as the cases rate. My case was supposed to go to trial in Feb (it got moved to later in the year), and I had been saying that by that time the rate would likely be low given the two factors above.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Don't really understand.

I think a big part of it is seasonality. The Texas and the South was surging pretty hard over the summer. We're getting a surge here in NM similar to what we saw last year when the weather cooled and more people started congregating and doing things indoors. Our highest per capita new cases and hospitalizations are in the NW and Eastern/South Eastern parts of the state. We have a pretty good vax rate in the state as a whole, but those areas of the state have low vax rates and low mask compliance, so the numbers aren't all that surprising. Our highest vax rates are in the Abq metro area and Santa Fe, which make up over half the state's population.