Cyclists add me!

Any fellow cyclists here? Feel free to add me!

I'm a 48 year old "clydesdale" who loves cycling, using MFP to track calories in/out and for motivation. Hoping to.become lighter on the bike over time.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Will send you a FR....

Copy/paste of my response to another thread -
    Mostly an endurance road rider but bought myself a 29er for my 60th birthday but hasn't had a lot of use yet.
    Just about to trade up my (OK, one of my....) road bikes for a BMC Roadmachine.

There's a Strava weekly challenge for MFP cyclists which can be found here.....
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/179287

And a free form monthly thread can be found here.....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10843449/september-2021-biking-cycling-bicycling-unicycling-tricycling-tandemming-challenge#latest
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Cyclist here ... member of Audax Australia.

About me on my blog (close the spaces to use link): http:// machka.net /about-me/

• NJPhil
    NJPhil Posts: 45 Member
    I'm a cyclist also. On the road for fitness, but really enjoy getting out on the trails.
  • CycleMomOf3
    CycleMomOf3 Posts: 336 Member
    Cyclist here from northeast USA. Tough getting out until December right now because of scheduling issues (nobody to watch the kids during daylight hours before/after teaching day), but hoping to get back out on the trails come late December once school lets out. I used to be a road biker, but have had too many close calls with inattentive drivers (plus I just hate all the Lycra, to be honest). I don't want to orphan my kids, so now I stick mostly to gravel trails and some mountain biking.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited September 2021
    63yr old from Connecticut here. Most of my riding is done on a triathlon bike, though I enjoy doing social rides on my roadie or hybrid when I'm not training. I also ride indoors in the winter.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    67yo and more-than-clydesdale myself - even after losing 80+ lbs with a combo of cycling and other exercise and a moderate eating regime managed with help of MFP. Upon my slightly-early retirement end of 2017, family got a bike for me for Christmas saying, "go ride, it'll be good for you." So I did. And it was. But not entirely sufficient. As the saying goes, "you can't outride your fork," so attention to your eating is required. MFP helps greatly with this. Being in coastal New Jersey, I get all 4 seasons (miserable and icy, wet and sloppy, humid and mosquitos, fleeting beautiful autumn - just kidding, I enjoy all seasons, but don't ride in the ice/snow). As a result of the seasons and my locale, I supplement cycling with beach swimming in summer and gym work in winter (pre-covid, anyway). Rounds out the effort and the effects. I do about 50/50 road/off-road and 80/20 paved/unpaved on a single bike with a few mods to support this profile.

Good luck on your journey. Pic below is from mid-Aug, visiting my daughter in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Gravel trail on Ottawa east side, along Ottawa River. Quebec is on opposite bank.

w9jmp0769hfz.jpg
  • Nicoles0305
    Nicoles0305 Posts: 313 Member
    Cycling is my preferred form of cardio! I’ve loved it since I was a kid, but only got back on the bike a few years ago. I’ve got a hard tail Trek with mid fat tires, and a full suspension Diamondback. I love hitting the MTB trails, but also love a good gravel trail ride. Lately, I’ve been riding the Peloton though, as this getting dark earlier business doesn’t allow as much outdoor riding time. Also, my doc really encouraged the Pelo- told me she has another patient who’s gotten into amazing shape riding a Pelo. What do you know? It’s working!
  • Rouleur67
    Rouleur67 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi there. I’m an old roadie who does long distance multi day events for charity. Winter is coming so I’m trying to grab weekend rides before Irish winter settles upon us. Feel free to add me!
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    I’m a pretty hard core cyclist. Feel free to add me.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Will send you a FR....

Copy/paste of my response to another thread -
    Mostly an endurance road rider but bought myself a 29er for my 60th birthday but hasn't had a lot of use yet.
    Just about to trade up my (OK, one of my....) road bikes for a BMC Roadmachine.

There's a Strava weekly challenge for MFP cyclists which can be found here.....
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/179287

And a free form monthly thread can be found here.....
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10843449/september-2021-biking-cycling-bicycling-unicycling-tricycling-tandemming-challenge#latest

Joined 😁🚴‍♂️
  • Gardensoul57
    Gardensoul57 Posts: 17 Member
    Cyclist here as well in Northern CA. Have loved cycling since I was a kid. Now I ride for exercise three days per week (13-15 miles each ride) and ride everyday to meet grandson at his house a mile away and we ride to his school every am and pm. I have done some organized rides, with longest being a metric century. Nothing like getting on your bike and feeling the breeze in your hair and the power of your body moving 16 to 17 mph and noting the speed and distance change as you lose weight and build muscle. Received the best comment over the weekend when my triathlete brother saw my 49.5 lb weight loss for the first time and said you have your “bike bod back”. That’s right brother. I am back and stronger than ever.
  • alrowlandson2828
    alrowlandson2828 Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2022
    Sweet!!! Wait does Peloton count? I’m new to it but obsessed! I just need to figure out how and where to incorporate cycling with all my weight lifting.

(edited by mods)
  • jigglyjumper
    jigglyjumper Posts: 1 Member
    Roadie in the Cayman Islands here. Was averaging about 80 miles/wk at the beginning of this year but fell out of it a bit. Looking to get back into it and get my leaner body back.
    Feel free to add :#
  • cianag
    cianag Posts: 29 Member
    I think I'll join the MFP Strava club. I'm probably finished cycling for the year. In 2020 I did the Trek 100 (etc) mile challenge, and worked hard to get in 100 miles, since I'm very overweight. At one point I had to go to the ER because I wasn't getting enough salt due to the sweating, etc. When it was all over I was so disappointed to see that the "prize" coffee mug didn't even acknowledge the 100 mile challenge nor Trek. It had pictures of some people who I have no idea who they were. I tossed it in the trash. But it was super motivating before that. I bought a new bike, not a Trek, so I hope I get more miles in next year with a leaner body.
  • marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    cianag wrote: »
    I think I'll join the MFP Strava club. I'm probably finished cycling for the year. In 2020 I did the Trek 100 (etc) mile challenge, and worked hard to get in 100 miles, since I'm very overweight. At one point I had to go to the ER because I wasn't getting enough salt due to the sweating, etc. When it was all over I was so disappointed to see that the "prize" coffee mug didn't even acknowledge the 100 mile challenge nor Trek. It had pictures of some people who I have no idea who they were. I tossed it in the trash. But it was super motivating before that. I bought a new bike, not a Trek, so I hope I get more miles in next year with a leaner body.

Do join! See you on Strava 😁

If you're done cycling for the year, you can still go for some nice walks. Gotta keep moving.

100 miles in one sitting is a lot! The satisfaction you get out of such an achievement like is way better than a stupid mug :)
    Next time you'll do it without suffering.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Cyclist here, NW Atlanta area.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    65 y.o. triathlete/cyclist here. I'm very fortunate to live about 1/4 mile / 400m from the recreational paths along the Ottawa River and 10km (by bike} from the entrance to Gatineau Park which offers insanely beautiful riding & hiking (the parkway is closed to cars quite often, Ottawa & West Quebec have very active cycling communities)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Hi, I'm a cyclist. I ride all year long as I'm fortunate to be in the climate that allows it. I ride quiet a bit, 550-760 ish miles a month. Add me!
  • johnmtrendler
    johnmtrendler Posts: 22 Member
    road cyclist here from Southern California, trying to get back into a rhythm. Feel free to add me
  • Fluffh34d
    Fluffh34d Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone - Basement cyclist on Zwift :) Feel free to give me an add