Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, pie, pie, pie

Anyone have delicious pie leftover?

I just keep going back for one bite every so often. But I never, ever have dessert so I'm gonna enjoy it. 😁

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    No, but I'd been craving coconut cream pie, decided that I didn't really care about the crust aspect, so made a nice rich coconut cream pudding (I guess you'd call it?) as my dessert for solo Thanksgiving, ate it with a generous blob of real whipped cream. There's some still in the refrigerator, yet to be eaten.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    I wish, but I indulged.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    No pie...but a huge bag of pecans in my freezer. I keep grabbing a huge handful - toasting them and nibble on them all night😛
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    saturday i finally told my husband he needed to finish all the pie. i think i had a total of...6? pieces? between pumpkin and dark chocolate pecan. from wednesday night to saturday morning LMAO

HE was more than happy to oblige. LMAO
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No, but I'd been craving coconut cream pie, decided that I didn't really care about the crust aspect, so made a nice rich coconut cream pudding (I guess you'd call it?) as my dessert for solo Thanksgiving, ate it with a generous blob of real whipped cream. There's some still in the refrigerator, yet to be eaten.

Coconut cream pie sounds really good! I might add that to my Christmas or New Years dessert menu. 😋
  • lulalacroix
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    No pie...but a huge bag of pecans in my freezer. I keep grabbing a huge handful - toasting them and nibble on them all night😛

I love fresh pecans. Actually, I love nut season. I've got fresh walnuts and Brazil nuts to shell and eat. There's something satisfying about cracking nuts.... at least, for me.
  • lulalacroix
    saturday i finally told my husband he needed to finish all the pie. i think i had a total of...6? pieces? between pumpkin and dark chocolate pecan. from wednesday night to saturday morning LMAO

That's usually how I do it too. Tell my spouse to eat it or it's getting thrown out.

And I thought about making a chocolate pecan pie (or chocolate hazelnut which is so yummy). Bet your chocolate pecan pie was amazing?
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 486 Member
    Someone gave us a lemon meringue pie and I had a slice last night and just had another one for a snack. Absolutely delicious and worth every calorie. The rest has now been frozen.
  • AnnPT77

Coconut cream pie sounds really good! I might add that to my Christmas or New Years dessert menu. 😋

Slightly off topic rant: I like coconut cream pie, but I'm picky. Too often, purchased coconut cream pies taste like instant vanilla pudding with coconut and maybe coconut extract mixed in, seriously not worth the calories. They're not rich and creamy enough.

While the cobbled-up custard recipe I made was better than that, it wasn't perfected for my tastes. It was nice and rich, but not exactly the texture that sends me over the moon. I think I maybe need to mix some already-whipped cream into the cold custard, or something like that. I need to do more experimenting.

As an aside, I'm considering taking the remaining coconut cream/custard and making it into frozen custard in my ice cream maker. Unfortunately, I think the machine's freezing chamber may be buried at the bottom of my basement chest freezer, below the extra foods inventory I've kept up during the pandemic to reduce shopping frequency.

I don't know about you, but I've gotten *much pickier* in general about rich, high-calorie treats since weight loss/maintenance. If I love it and it's super calorie dense, I still want to eat it, but it darned well better be really, really, REALLY good. 😆
  • lulalacroix

Slightly off topic rant: I like coconut cream pie, but I'm picky. Too often, purchased coconut cream pies taste like instant vanilla pudding with coconut and maybe coconut extract mixed in, seriously not worth the calories. They're not rich and creamy enough.

While the cobbled-up custard recipe I made was better than that, it wasn't perfected for my tastes. It was nice and rich, but not exactly the texture that sends me over the moon. I think I maybe need to mix some already-whipped cream into the cold custard, or something like that. I need to do more experimenting.

As an aside, I'm considering taking the remaining coconut cream/custard and making it into frozen custard in my ice cream maker. Unfortunately, I think the machine's freezing chamber may be buried at the bottom of my basement chest freezer, below the extra foods inventory I've kept up during the pandemic to reduce shopping frequency.

I don't know about you, but I've gotten *much pickier* in general about rich, high-calorie treats since weight loss/maintenance. If I love it and it's super calorie dense, I still want to eat it, but it darned well better be really, really, REALLY good. 😆

I am super picky about what I eat in general. But when it comes to dessert, it's pretty much 100% made by myself or my daughter. Since we eat zero animal products it gets really hard finding good dessert. Most are very dry and frankly not worth the expensive "vegan" tax.

I haven't made a coconut cream pie in ages, definitely not in the past couple of years. You are right that it should be so creamy. And I also agree that purchased pies are most likely a vanilla pudding with a coconut extract. Mine will probably start with sweetened coconut cream and a thickener. Don't know if it will be creamy enough, but I'm sure it will have a lot of fat. I'll let you know if it's good.

Frozen custard would be so good. I guess you have to decide if it's worth it to go digging in the basement. 😏
  • lulalacroix
    mjglantz wrote: »
    Someone gave us a lemon meringue pie and I had a slice last night and just had another one for a snack. Absolutely delicious and worth every calorie. The rest has now been frozen.

Lemon meringue is one of my favorites along with key lime.

I'm just realizing that I really love pie. 😋😂
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

That's usually how I do it too. Tell my spouse to eat it or it's getting thrown out.

And I thought about making a chocolate pecan pie (or chocolate hazelnut which is so yummy). Bet your chocolate pecan pie was amazing?

horrible. just horrible. LOLOLOL

eiabzr1yhx48.jpg
  • PAPYRUS3

I love fresh pecans. Actually, I love nut season. I've got fresh walnuts and Brazil nuts to shell and eat. There's something satisfying about cracking nuts.... at least, for me.

Me too...a bowl of unshelled nuts always remind me of the holidays. They do taste better (imo) and take a whole lot longer to 'get into' when having to crack them...better for portion 'control' lol!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Quelled my pie/dessert cravings with mashed sweet potato with a little pumpkin pie spice worked in. I nuked it warm and then topped with cold plain yogurt and cinnamon/raisin granola. Heaven in a bowl!

• PAPYRUS3
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Quelled my pie/dessert cravings with mashed sweet potato with a little pumpkin pie spice worked in. I nuked it warm and then topped with cold plain yogurt and cinnamon/raisin granola. Heaven in a bowl!

I too have been known to do similar 'things' (roasted squash varieties are really good too!)
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    No pie leftovers. Thankfully I had a small army of family around to hoover up all the desserts. :)

I had two pieces of pie over the weekend and one small handful of chocolate covered almonds. That was all I ate for sweets.

Christmas is going to be a much different story... My husband makes homemade egg nog and a ton of German cookies that we only get on Christmas. I will be in gluttony mode for sure. :smiley:
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member

oooo... I will be stealing this idea. That sounds delicious!
  • AnnPT77

I too have been known to do similar 'things' (roasted squash varieties are really good too!)

OK, here I am digressing again *and* being a force for calorie depravity (?) again: Someone on another thread posted a recipe for a white miso caramel sauce (which was excellent), and a recent episode with squash juices caramelizing on the roasting pan (tasty!) has me contemplating making squash-miso caramel. It could be a disaster, but it might be good . . . .

P.S. On the more calorie-friendly end of the scale, some friends gave me a bottle of pear and cinnamon infused aged balsamic vinegar, which was really amazing on Winter squash, especially with a reasonable (modest) amount of toasted walnuts.
  • PAPYRUS3

OK, here I am digressing again *and* being a force for calorie depravity (?) again: Someone on another thread posted a recipe for a white miso caramel sauce (which was excellent), and a recent episode with squash juices caramelizing on the roasting pan (tasty!) has me contemplating making squash-miso caramel. It could be a disaster, but it might be good . . . .

P.S. On the more calorie-friendly end of the scale, some friends gave me a bottle of pear and cinnamon infused aged balsamic vinegar, which was really amazing on Winter squash, especially with a reasonable (modest) amount of toasted walnuts.

Was it (the miso sauce) suggested from @acpgee on 'What do your meals look like?' - I kind of remember reading this sauce suggestion a while ago. Sure does sound delish! and that aged bv w/walnuts sounds epic too!
  • lulalacroix

horrible. just horrible. LOLOLOL

eiabzr1yhx48.jpg

OMG!!! Just stop it!

Seriously, I imagine you will make something just as amazing in December and I'd like your address and an invitation please. 😋😂