Maintenance pitfalls

2»

Replies

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    bump
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    Old thread but one bad habit which I notice in maintenance is that over time I start to eat faster and faster instead of savoring. Just reminding myself to take smaller bites and enjoy the food helps.

@SummerSkier
    Yes, I’ve noticed this, too, lately. Also looking at phone or other distractions while eating.

BTW- somewhere I saw you post about what you had noticed in some others about gradually shifting up goals & gradually adding back lbs. Remembering that post had helped me many times. Thank you!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    nay0meh wrote: »
    Bumping this! It's a super old thread but would love to hear more comments. I have been maintaining for two years and while it has become my life to be healthy, there is still always the fear in the back of my mind that I will get fat from eating too much or indulging in sweets. I have found that I am not the kind of person who can really practice moderation with sugar...it is better for me to avoid it, which I do 95% of the time or more. If I am PMS and really craving a sweet, sometimes I just go for it but I know it is tough to get it out of my system and fight that sugar addiction.

I am a Jedi also and do all of the tricks mentioned, like keep foods out of the house completely or have foods that are tempting hidden in the cupboard. I am thankful my man and son are supportive and want to be healthy, too.

I know my body enough now to feel when I have been deviating and it is catching up to me and all I have to do is jump on the scale and yep-feeling confirmed. Thankfully when I get back to cleaner eating, I level out again.

It's a lifestyle--not a destination. That is the most important piece for me. And it is the life I want and that brings me the most joy!

Hi @nay0meh
    I do the things you list.
    And…
    I don’t eat out or get takeout.

We only eat two foods that have a bit of sugar (and that I’ve learned I can definitely control.)

The one thing I noticed in the past month (almost 40 months maintaining 70 lb loss) was a little voice saying, “I don’t want to weigh & track all my food.”
    But I did because…
    1. I want accurate data.
    2. I was obese 40+ years; it’s very easy for me to eat a lot or make poor food choices.
    3. I know for sure it’s not the voice I should listen to. It’s the voice that will have me waking up a while from now obese & unhealthy again.
    4. I need to keep some macros/micros below certain values for health reasons & the only way I can do that is to track my food accurately.

• MaxGaynes
    MaxGaynes Posts: 57 Member
    No such thing as maintenance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    MaxGaynes wrote: »
    No such thing as maintenance.

I'm thinking you and I must define "maintenance" differently, because maintenance is where I think I've been for 6+ years now, after multiple previous *decades* of obesity.

Healthy BMI? Check.
    Good, normal blood tests/blood pressure, unlike in the past? Check.
    Same clothes size? Check.

To me, that's maintenance.

Will I stay there the rest of my life? Don't know, but I'm working at it.

I don't think maintenance means never having to think about managing eating or bodyweight again, ever. My always-slim friends don't ignore those things, either.

How would you define "maintenance", since you seem to think it's unachievable?
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Have lost about 85 lbs & I've been at or under my goal weight for over 8 years and fortunately have not really had an issue with staying on track except for vacations. That's when I'll eat foods I don't normally choose and will eat more than usual. My mind set is that when I get home, I'll get back on track no delay and no excuses. Even on vacation though I track everything and get in some exercise every day. Never really gained much more than a pound or two.

For me I think the "secret sauce" was never really going on a diet. I made small sustainable changes and over time changed the way I ate in a way that I really like and is easy to maintain. If I do find my weight has crept up in my range (+/- 3 lbs from goal) I'll not do much different except to make sure I'm accurately tracking everything and really staying at my daily goal. And I'll forgo the wine for a few nights.