At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I overlooked the strength of positive self-talk/identity for way too long. It amazes me how much we have get out of our own way sometimes.

I just totally stole that from @steveko89 on another thread.

That’s the finest piece of advice I’ve heard since BL telling me to let things go because “it’s better than it was before”.

That goes in the cache of Super Quotes.
    I've noticed the same tendency for imposter syndrome in my personal and professional lives as something I constantly need to be mindful of and manage.

I agree that it belongs in the Super Quotes! Also, never underestimate the (negative) power of imposter syndrome. It really exists and really messes with you. Case in point: Some relatives were asking me about my weight loss at Thanksgiving. The number of times I heard "Oh, I could never be that weight" was pretty astounding. That's imposter syndrome, folks. You can be anything!

@springlering62 Your husband is doing so well! I'm really enjoying the updates. Keep 'em comin'!
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Oh my god! I had no idea and I often have the same things daily and just did it meal by meal but day by day! Thank you!
    Lietchi wrote: »
    NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.

Pencil button, check mark at the top to select the whole day and then tap on the the dots and you'll see 'copy to date' as an option 😉

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Oh my god! I had no idea and I often have the same things daily and just did it meal by meal but day by day! Thank you!
    Lietchi wrote: »
    NB: for Android users, the "Edit" button is a little pencil icon in the upper right, instead of the word "edit" in the upper left like on iOS. Which I *did* see before right this very second, but never bothered to tap on it to see what it was, maybe I assumed it was like...a quick-access Notes button? Idk. But it is indeed the Edit feature. Heck.

Next you'll tell me there's a way to copy the whole day at once, or use recipes as ingredients in other recipes.

Pencil button, check mark at the top to select the whole day and then tap on the the dots and you'll see 'copy to date' as an option 😉

I didn't know this was a thing either... the magnitude of this revelation to me is probably clinically dubious at this point but I AM SHOOK with excitement about this.
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    edited December 2021
    Y’all’s feedback is truly interesting. BL is a retired analyst and spreadsheet master for an international beverage company. I don’t know why I didn’t expect him to glom onto the watch data. He’s been so disinterested until he got one on his wrist.

In two days it’s already unleashing his inner statistician, which is good and bad. He’s already increased his steps pretty dramatically, but is downright angry that Tai Chi doesn’t get more activity points. (Dude, first of all, you have to “start” the workout. Second of all, you’ve got to find a similar workout category. Third of all, his supportive wife has been in this Tai Chi class many times and very nearly poked my eyeballs out from boredom. I don’t expect many calories burned although I can see how it helps with balance and joint movement.)

It does become easy to obsess over digital rewards and challenges. I had to stop doing Apple Watch group challenges for months because I’d find myself heatedly screaming at anonymous teammates “put the damn watch on your wrist!!!!” And the individual challenge turned into floods of tears when I came down with Covid the last few days of one and dropped
    to a much lower score.

I sincerely wish Apple, in their zeal to prod me to improve my health, would recognize the need to build in rest days.

And their algorithms to encourage you to improve
    are laughable. They snowball with success.

This is my challenge for November:

3el9do7qvznm.png
    Y’all’s feedback is truly interesting. BL is a retired analyst and spreadsheet master for an international beverage company. I don’t know why I didn’t expect him to glom onto the watch data. He’s been so disinterested until he got one on his wrist.

In two days it’s already unleashing his inner statistician, which is good and bad. He’s already increased his steps pretty dramatically, but is downright angry that Tai Chi doesn’t get more activity points. (Dude, first of all, you have to “start” the workout. Second of all, you’ve got to find a similar workout category. Third of all, his supportive wife has been in this Tai Chi class many times and very nearly poked my eyeballs out from boredom. I don’t expect many calories burned although I can see how it helps with balance and joint movement.)

It does become easy to obsess over digital rewards and challenges. I had to stop doing Apple Watch group challenges for months because I’d find myself heatedly screaming at anonymous teammates “put the damn watch on your wrist!!!!” And the individual challenge turned into floods of tears when I came down with Covid the last few days of one and dropped
    to a much lower score.

I sincerely wish Apple, in their zeal to prod me to improve my health, would recognize the need to build in rest days.

And their algorithms to encourage you to improve
    are laughable. They snowball with success.

This is my challenge for November:

3el9do7qvznm.png

• SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    My iPad has just updated and everything is working differently! Somehow I’ve reposted your post twice without my comment. I thought my November challenge was crazy- 110 exercise minutes per day! I love the watch, but I do get compulsive about it. Also, I don’t trust the calorie allocation. Im often tracking my runs or bikes on Peloton, which is linked to Strava, and if I record my time on my watch, I often get double credit. Sometimes I delete it after the fact, but I try to avoid too many additional calories for a workout- within reason. Also, my long runs make me hungry the NEXT day, not the day of the run. But honestly, if I can control my compulsiveness, it does help motivate.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    This brings up an interesting thing I've noticed in myself.

I still eat some kind of dessert/traditional 'sweet treat' almost every day. Never stopped. Don't find them too sweet or anything. They're still as delicious as they ever were.

Yet I find I like a whole lot of foods now I use to REALLY not like when I was obese -- like greek yogurt and avocados and, heck, artifically sweetened sweet things (commercial or homemade) and am virtually immune to things tasting 'proteiny'

So, my tastes have changed not being obese, but not in the way so often talked about.

• knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Your tip about updating things once you’re more familiar with MFP is a good one. I was looking at a recipe I entered years ago and some of the components were really suspect—entries I wouldn’t have chosen today and that made a significant change in the calories/macros per serving. It’s good to review things every once in a while!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    edited December 2021
    ... that just makes you hangry and want to eat all da foodz. It’s better to eat more and stay on an even keel.

Thanks, as always, for the giggle. :smiley: I was also finding myself wanting to eat all da foodz and had to readjust my calorie level so I don't rebound. The struggle is real. :wink:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    @springlering62 Cottage cheese, fruit AND BALSAMIC? WHAAAAT?!!! It has never occurred to me to add balsamic to cottage cheese, and now I must try this! Do you use regular vinegar or glaze? Just a drizzle on top? Please teach me your ways!
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member

Fruity balsamic vinegar, straight from the bottle, to taste. I prefer strawberry, blueberry or chocolate balsamic, usually about 30gr.
    6-10 gr grape nuts sprinkled on top

I had to laugh at 6-10 grape nuts, as a grape nut is about as big as a grape seed. But I also totally understand. I am the same way about granola, which is supposed to be a health food, and just isn't. It's high in carbs and fat and beneficial, maaaaybe, only in fiber. I have to have tiny servings, if any.

I don't eat a lot of vinegar but I do appreciate that it has tons of flavor, almost no carbs or fat, and hardly any sodium. It's like a miracle.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Fruity balsamic vinegar, straight from the bottle, to taste. I prefer strawberry, blueberry or chocolate balsamic, usually about 30gr.
    6-10 gr grape nuts sprinkled on top

I had to laugh at 6-10 grape nuts, as a grape nut is about as big as a grape seed. But I also totally understand. I am the same way about granola, which is supposed to be a health food, and just isn't. It's high in carbs and fat and beneficial, maaaaybe, only in fiber. I have to have tiny servings, if any.

I don't eat a lot of vinegar but I do appreciate that it has tons of flavor, almost no carbs or fat, and hardly any sodium. It's like a miracle.

6-10 grams.

I’m anal, but not that anal. 🤷🏻‍♀️