60 yrs and up

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Bumping this to keep the thread active. What are y'all up to? 😁
  • srfbos
    srfbos Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2021
    I'm newly active on MFP, despite the old account. I'm 62, vaguely remember being athletic once, and have watched my A1C get into the pre-diabetic range. Need to drop 40-50 lbs and starting to dream big about finishing 5Ks, 10Ks, etc some day. I eat healthy foods but too much of them. Almonds are good for you, but not half a bag at a time! ;-) Anyway, would love to connect with people - I work in tech, into music, family/kids, reading, sailing, basketball. And would love to stop talking about fitness and weight loss someday!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,969 Member
    Bumping this to keep the thread active. What are y'all up to? 😁

Um, nothing new, really?

I reported being up 4.4 pounds after birthday and US Thanksgiving indulgences, presuming much of it water weight & digestive contents. I'm down 2.4 of that so far. I don't know for sure whether the other 2 pounds is fat gain for sure - it's a little too early to know, for another few days. Calorie intake is back to my usual maintenance goal (banking 100-150 calories most days as usual).

On the activity front, I reported starting the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, 200km rowing machine (or 400km Concept 2 bike, or a combination) between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, with a plan to alternate row & bike 6 days a week, take Sundays off. Early days, but I'm on track with that plan, currently at 49,127 of the 200,000 meters equivalent, without today's 15k or so bike meters in the books yet.

We got some snow, at one point maybe 2-4 inches on the ground, but I'm mostly staying in because not much reason to go out lately, other than the odd errand. My car is weird - needs new tires, brakes, and the bleepin' dome & door-open lights come on during right turns (and more) even though everything's shut up tight; the tire-pressure light is on, but pressure's good all around, so either I have a sensor problem in some tire, or it's the spare (which I didn't pressure check, and often drops a little pressure when the weather gets cold). None of this is a crisis, just an annoyance. I have an appointment next Thursday to get it all addressed. (Old vehicle: 2009. These things happen. I don't like vehicles: Necessary inconvenience, at best.)

See, boring.

I hope everyone else is well: Let's hear from you, if you have time?
  • AnnPT77
    srfbos wrote: »
    I'm newly active on MFP, despite the old account. I'm 62, vaguely remember being athletic once, and have watched my A1C get into the pre-diabetic range. Need to drop 40-50 lbs and starting to dream big about finishing 5Ks, 10Ks, etc some day. I eat healthy foods but too much of them. Almonds are good for you, but not half a bag at a time! ;-) Anyway, would love to connect with people - I work in tech, into music, family/kids, reading, sailing, basketball. And would love to stop talking about fitness and weight loss someday!

Welcome!

But, um, stop talking about fitness? In my world, the transition is more like going from having to talk about fitness, to enjoying talking about fitness activities. YMMV! Me, I could talk technique about rowing all day long, happily.

I hear you on the "eat mostly healthy foods, just too much": That was pretty much how I got and stayed fat/obese, but I admit to having had too-frequent calorie-dense treats (maybe healthy-ish ones) in the picture, too. Calorie counting really helped balance things out, for me: Maximum short term enjoyment that's compatible with long term desired bodyweight results, for the win.

Wishing you success here!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,821 Member
    I can totally relate to eating healthy and becoming obese! I rarely ate junk food or processed foods. Never went through a drive-thru (except for coffee). Yet somehow I weighed 232 pounds. Yes, you can have too much of a good thing!

I can't imagine not talking about fitness. And by that I mean checking in with my friends before our three-times-a-week walk. Or planning a snowshoe weekend at a cabin with the same friends. Or talking to someone in the Nordic ski club parking lot about which trails are groomed and which aren't. Or drinking my morning coffee and deciding what trails to hike with my dogs for their daily walk. Or looking at the weather forecast to see if we'll be dragon boating or not. My "fitness" doesn't involve a gym because I find them boring. But I move and have fun every day. So there's always lots to talk about :)

• tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    @AnnPT77 I know what you mean. I could talk about swimming technique all day and don't get me started on the hiking stuff. BTW there is no "right" way to hike just be prepared.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I miss the group workouts and talking about fitness and techniques with other gym rats. Need to get back to that.

@tnh2o - Regarding hiking - gotta' agree. Be prepared. I have a couple of light packs with hydration bladders. I try to keep them stocked with supplies that might be needed, balanced against carrying stuff that I don't/won't need.
  • AnnPT77
    sirk401 wrote: »
    Anyone here OLD? I'm 75 and just starting MFP. Would like to shed @ 45 lbs.

I'm kinda old, just a little younger than you (I'm 66). One of my RL friends lost 25 or so pounds in her 70s, not calorie counting, just cutting back. I lost 50+ pounds at 59-60, calorie counting, have stayed at a healthy weight since.

In general, I don't think age per se limits *anything*. Sometimes, things that are more common with age (disabilities, for example) impose some limitations, but age itself? Nah, I don't think so.

Will I change my mind in a decade? Maybe, but quite a few of my active, athletic, slim friends are in their 70s and even 80s, so I'm thinking that's not inevitable.
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    I'm sorry for your loss Ann. Unfortunately, the older we get, the more we add to those dates. Monday, Dec 6 will be a little bit tough for me. It would have been my older brother's 67th birthday. We lost him on March 27 to aggressive pancreatic cancer. As strange as it sounds, I'm grateful that the universe saw fit to take him when it did. The area he lived in has been hard hit this year with forest fires and then flooding. I can't imagine how terribly difficult it would have been for him to try and negotiate everything while being sick and doing chemo.

Ladybug, sorry for your loss as well.

We were expecting to wake up to snow this morning, but it did not materialize. That means that I can get outside and take a walk instead of using the treadmill.

I'm just trying to stick to my calorie counting and getting the walking and yoga in. Coasting along weight wise which at this time of year is probably the best I can hope for. LOL My son wants to do Christmas baking today so I many have to indulge in a piece of shortbread or a mince tart. But only one. I'm thankful not to have a sweet tooth.

Have a wonderful weekend!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member

As @alteredsteve175 once said "We are Seasoned Citizens!" I told that to someone this week and they loved it!

To answer @alteredsteve175 I'm doing well! I crossed today out of the BMI Obese to the Overweight category! I hope all is as well as can be expected with you.

Sorry for all the loses related to dates but hope you have wonderful memories of happy times to cherish!
  • AnnPT77
    edited December 2021
    Hugs and sympathies to you, too, @Ladybug8882021 and @SharGetsHealthy! It's comforting to me to know that I'm not the only one who has some feelings of nostalgia, some mix of mourning and memories and grief and love, on certain dates.

I also appreciate everyone's support. It's meaningful, to me.

Sending strength and caring to both of you - Ladybug, today; and Shar on Monday. ((Hugs!))
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    As @alteredsteve175 says I had a "swoosh" from 12/1 to today 12/5 of 4.4 lbs!!!!
  • RichardHaw
    RichardHaw Posts: 16 Member
    Hi all, found this thread and thought I’d say hi. 64 and relating to the topic. Been tending to go up and down in terms of weight, glucose levels (been type II for a couple decades or so), and focus on health. It just gets harder as we age. It’s still the only game in town though. Hope everyone has a great and productive week.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member

Welcome to all our new joins and hugs to all that are feeling sadness.

This week I am celebrating my 75th Birthday and have plans to enjoy to the fullest dinner and a trip to the theater as well as a big Party planned by my kids.

@sirk401 - Success in your weight loss trip is very possible at this age. I joined MPF in 2018 and since have lost 65 pounds (down 95 from my high) my BMI is now in the normal range and I feel more able to move easily. At times it felt like it was taking forever but slow loss was my goal as much as making life style changes that are sustainable. Each morning I track my food for the day and always take a daily 30 minute walk . I really don't feel old, but I do have many old friends. Being timeworn has given me the opportunity to become proficient in a tested healthy weight life.

We can all do this.
    For now I plan to eat cake (just a little.)

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    @j29t Happy Birthday!

@AnnPT77 Happy Anniversary!