Peloton Bike/Tread

Hey All, I am starting to get ready to purchase my first set of in-home equipment and am very indecisive. I am leaning towards Peloton; however, am not opposed to other brands. I am hoping to purchase either a treadmill or a bike.

For those that own a treadmill or bike, do you have any advice of what to look for? What brand have you enjoyed? Any info is appreciated!

Replies

• frugaldoc1
    frugaldoc1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello.. Just joined the community and was browsing and saw your post.
    I purchased the Peloton Bike 3-4 years ago and have not regretted it for one minute. The bike is very high quality and they are constantly upgrading the interface (app). Latest upgrade is you can now pause workout if needed. The app alone is incredible with access to yoga, meditation, stretching, bootcamps, resistance band workouts, etc.
    I have the original Peloton Bike, not the Peloton Bike +. Personally for the extra $1000 I would probably just get the original and not the +. The original screen and speakers seem fine to me vs the +. The rotating screen on the +? I just use the app on my iPad when I want to do yoga, etc.
    Hope this helps. You can't go wrong with either bike. Just make sure you enjoy spinning workouts and are serious about this journey your are about to go on, because it's to expensive to just have it sit there.
    If you do decide to get Peloton here is my referral code g65crw. That will get you $100 off accessories and I'll get $100 off at the store I believe. Thanks!
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Thanks @frugaldoc1! Do you need specific shoes for the bike? I saw something on the website about it using specific software in the shoes? I don't want to spend the money on that stuff if I don't need to lol.
  • frugaldoc1
    frugaldoc1 Posts: 2 Member
    No need for specific shoes for bike.. I actually changed the pedals out on my bike when I got it because my shoes used the SPD clip system and I believe the peloton pedals are the look delta system? My pedals have the SPD clip on one side and the other side have straps so you can just wear workout shoes (wife). Not sure if the Peloton pedals has the option of not wearing cycling shoes? Pedals not that expensive and I sold Peloton pedals on eBay, so it wash basically a wash. Changing the pedals out is not hard, but google it because one of the pedals you actually turn counter clockwise to tighten.
  • navychickpensfan
    navychickpensfan Posts: 25 Member
    I also love the peloton app lots of exercises and instructors to choose from. However, I did not purchase the peloton bike. I purchased a Echelon Connect 3 on sale for $600. There is an app that will connect to the Echelon and give the bike the auto resistance. The bike is high quality and you can choose cages or SPD clips.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    If you haven't narrowed it down between a treadmill and a bike then you are very undecided, indeed. (Just like me!) I'm going to assume you already run. Are you also a dedicated cyclist?

I observe that a basic spin bike is very affordable (<$500). I have one that I use at least once a week. I monitor heart rate and cadence and the resistance is manual (there's no such thing as "speed" or "distance.") I got the taste for spinning from taking spin classes at one point. Now, I really enjoy spinning for an hour by myself while watching an action movie. I do timed on/off seat intervals: 2m standing, 3m seated. I use heart rate to *kitten* my level of effort (as does my Garmin watch).

I also have a road bike and fluid trainer, but I don't use it that much. Dedicated cyclists will prefer a more realistic cycling workout using a bike and trainer or a fancy training bike like the Wahoo Kickr-- usually with the Zwift app. If you're starting from nothing (no bike), then the whole setup could cost more than a Peloton bike.

I also jog, mostly outdoors. But, in the winter, I will sometimes go to our corporate gym and run on the treadmill (e.g., today). I observe that a usable treadmill for anyone with bodyweight over 160lbs will cost you at least $2.5k (that's the cost of the Peloton Tread, but you also need to buy the subscription). Many people spend significantly more than that. (Gym-quality ones are ~$5k.)

I also swim. But, it's pretty difficult to do that in your own home!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    There are a lot of people who love their Pelotons but:

1) they're epensive

2) aren't as good as other spin bikes that you can buy for the same price or less

3) are really only worth buying if you are the type of person who likes/needs & is willing to pay for the online AV service wc I believe costs another $40/mo.

If you are such a person, then go for it w/the understanding that you are really buying the online service, which will disappear if the company goes out of business; in which case, you just overpaid for the bike.

FWIW, I own a LeMond RevMaster Pro spin bike wc still retails for about $1600 (including the Pilot II monitor) that I bought for $1k and gave seen 4sale on CL 4 as low as $750.

It's afar better spin bike than the Peloton and isstill widely used in gyms.. There's no AV service but I don't need that. When I ride it, I just listen to music or watch videos on my phone w/the phone mount attachment that i added 2 the bike 4 just afew bucks.

Works well well enuf 4me.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    And, someone can tell me why Peloton stock just halved in value over the last week.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    And, someone can tell me why Peloton stock just halved in value over the last week.

Here's are a couple of opinion pieces about Peloton's stock published by the Motley Fool:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/09/29/1-reason-the-market-is-not-keen-on-peloton-stock/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/11/05/heres-why-peloton-stock-got-absolutely-smashed-on/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    @sgt1372 : yes, quite! The investors, it seems, have decided that Peloton faces significant competition, which is evident when you look at all the choices.

As I said, you can get a very usable spin bike for just a few hundred dollars. I have one that I bought from Spinning.com for about $600. It's a very basic one with a chain drive and felt brake. Still, it is very solid and quiet. But, you can also buy one from any number of vendors on Amazon (e.g., Sunny Health and Fitness) for even less and many have magnetic resistance and belt drive. Some look so cheap that I fear they may not be well built.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    Thank you for all the insight everyone! The main reason I am looking at Peloton is because I like the idea of having "classes" I can take and I think it will help keep me engaged. When I am using equipment at the gym I tend to get bored/distracted (I prefer to be outside, but the weather can hinder that). There is too much going around me at the gym that I struggle to focus on what I should be doing.

I recently cancelled my gym membership since I did not enjoy going for the reasons above. My thought is to either start investing on building my own home gym, or to find a smaller gym with less people. Knowing my issues with being distracted, I feel investing in a home gym is currently my better option for me.
  • davepollack
    davepollack Posts: 19 Member
    You get a Peloton Bike for all of the instructors, community and extras off the bike. We bought the bike because I needed the push and motivation. Honestly when I would go to the gym, I would lift or get on a treadmill and just walk. Took a spin class here and there but not much other variety. I didn't do any extra stretching, cardio. etc. The Peloton instructors preach this and so not only am I working out more, I am doing more and different exercises than I was before.

Definitely a personal choice as you could buy a different spin bike and still purchase a Peloton app subscription as well to get the same effect.

Just my reasoning as to why we made the purchase.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    Thank you for all the insight everyone! The main reason I am looking at Peloton is because I like the idea of having "classes" I can take and I think it will help keep me engaged. When I am using equipment at the gym I tend to get bored/distracted (I prefer to be outside, but the weather can hinder that). There is too much going around me at the gym that I struggle to focus on what I should be doing.

I recently cancelled my gym membership since I did not enjoy going for the reasons above. My thought is to either start investing on building my own home gym, or to find a smaller gym with less people. Knowing my issues with being distracted, I feel investing in a home gym is currently my better option for me.

Two things. I think this is really important, but it's your money. 🙂

1 You can get the Peleton app for something like $10 a month with any bike or treadmill.

2 If the company Peleton ever goes out of business, what will you do with that very expensive bike?
  • L got my bike plus June 2021 and loved so much not only equipment but the community. I just in invested the tread and personally I love all, l invested in me!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,311 Member
    When I was hard core training I liked a standard spin bike with specific workouts or my road bike and trainer. I was very focused. Not so much now. I still ride and teach spin classes but don’t race any more.

I have a Peleton and find it is good for quick intense workouts (20-45minutes). I love the classes and can really push myself.

For endurance riding the trainer/Zwift is better.

Hubby looked at the tread and said it is well made. He is a marathon runner so though he likes the bike workouts for cross training he isn’t interested in the tread type classes. A standard gym Quality treadmill is his preference.