Coronavirus prep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,719 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not in any way a virologist or other relevant expert, just a regular ignorant bozo, so I'll throw this speculation out there to see what others, especially those more knowledgeable, think:

I'm thinking that if it turns out we do need a different vax because of Omicron, it would be surprising if they specified a loooong required interval between current booster and new formulation.

Thought process:

I haven't seen much that suggested getting vaccine doses "too close together" would be particularly injurious to healthy people (or to immune suppressed ones, for that matter), where "too close together" was less than the 6 months between second vax and booster, or even less than the X weeks between dose 1 and dose 2, if it wasn't like subsequent days or something really silly.

What I've understood was more that close doses wouldn't be as effective in stimulating the immune system in the useful ways. Most other vaccines (of different types) don't seem to need long separations (like the Covid booster and flu, or flu and shingles, etc.).

What is making y'all think that if one gets a booster now, there's a meaningful risk that you won't be able to get this speculative new vax when it comes out in March, given what you know at this point?

Just saw this now. Vaccine rollout is a little slower here, and we have a little less freedom of choice. For example we are just offering boosters to 50+ beginning December 13th, younger age groups will be in the new year, and we are only eligible after 6 months.

When I posed the question of waiting it actually never occurred to me that I won't be able to get another booster if I take one now, just not really wanting to get more shots than I need. But now that you mention it I would imagine if a new booster comes out people who already had a recent 3rd dose would probably be last on the list to get it.

That's not exactly what I'd expect here (not sure where you are). If there's limited supply of the new vax at first, I'd expect any priority scheme to be similar to the previous ones, i.e., most at-risk first. It's still unclear who that will be (unvaxed vs. old/comorbidities vs. immune compromised, or whatever). That might mean people with 3rd boost prioritized lower, but I'm not convinced that would be true. But I'm still speculating.

If people with a recent third dose would be last on the list, wouldn't that be a reason to get #3 ASAP anyway, to move up that list as fast as possible? Really a lot of people are just getting the booster now, more or less. I was high priority (over 65), and my booster wasn't that long ago. I wasn't instant out of the blocks in signing up for booster, but not greatly lagging, either. Without looking it up, I think the delay vs. exactly 6 months wasn't more than a couple of weeks, and that was all me, not supply or rules.

I got the initial doses as early as I could schedule them here, though I won't pretend I was necessarily maximally efficient. (Some of my friends searched long distance for example: I just tracked multiple local sources until I found an appointment, for #1.)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    News out of Southampton, Uni research, UK this morning. They looked into the best timing distance between the 2 vaccines and then the booster, it seems to be coming out at 3 months!

Isn't there an underlying assumption you would then get another booster every three months, to keep you at the peak of protection?

I'm taking the approach that I'm already due my shot, and I need the booster to get me through the rest of the winter/spring. Maybe by that time we'll have a "new and improved" version available :smiley:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Then you are told to go wait 10 minutes, after which you will receive back your vaccination card ( a clever way to make sure people do not leave prematurely :P )

I remember when we were first organising the Covid clinics at the medical centre where I work - and we discussed this same issue - how to enforce people staying 15 minutes afterward in a friendly but no getting out of it way
    They get their paper work on arrival- information, questionairre, consent form, and then after the vaccine is given the time they can leave - eg 10:15 if vaccine given 10:00 - is marked in large print on front of paperwork - take this back to front desk then so we can record it in your notes (and from our software to the Australian Immunisation Registry)
    They know front desk staff won't take it back until the marked time
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Got my booster 4 hours ago. Process is a little odd. Arrive at scheduled appointment and fill out form by checking off lots of various boxes. A few minutes later, you get the shot. Then you are told to go wait 10 minutes, after which you will receive back your vaccination card ( a clever way to make sure people do not leave prematurely :P ). So at the 10 minutes, I get handed a whole packed, including my card.

10 minutes ago, i opened the packet to see if it is anything I need to keep or recycle. Page two of the packet has a section titled "What you need to know before you get this vaccine". Page four has a section titled "What are the risks of the vaccine". Page six contains "what if I decide not to get the comirnaty (COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA) or the Pfizer-Biotech COVID-19 Vaccine?" Seems like this process could stand for a little improvement. Shouldn't this packet be being given out BEFORE the shot??

It's so interesting the differences in procedures. My first two were at a mass vaccination site run by the National Guard. After the shot, they gave you a sticker with a time on it and sent you to a waiting area. When your time was up you could leave, but the Army guys at the door were checking stickers to make sure you weren't leaving early. They gave me a packet of information after the shot.

I got my booster at Walgreens. No packet of information at all. They did have me stay 15 minutes and were strict about it. I asked if I could wander around the store and shop while I waited, and they said no, they wanted me to stay in the pharmacy area. They had already given me my card back, so I guess I COULD have left, but, yeah, I figure better safe than sorry in case I had a weird reaction that I didn't have to the first two.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Had my booster yesterday at a clinic through my GP's office in central MN. Different exp than my first two shots which were in a small, rural hospital. Was well organized. Wasn't expecting the question of "which vaccine do you want". Had the option for either J&J, Moderna or Pfizer. Went with Pfizer since that was the same as my previous two.

My vac card was updated and I moved to the wait for the jab. I asked the person if they would aspirate and she cheerily agreed. She said they had 550+ appointments scheduled and expected at least that many walk ins.

I had requested my booster last week via MyChart since I'm 55+ and my DH is scheduled for surgery next week. I'll feel better being with him in the hospital having been 'boosted. Covid cases in the area are like other areas, extremely high and National Guard medical has been assigned to assist at the hospital where DH is scheduled for surgery.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    In the past week the active cases in the counties around me have doubled. We haven't been this high since December of last year. What is happening where you live?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    edited December 2021
    In Pennsylvania, the numbers have been really high. Not quite as bad as last Christmas, but still high. One day this week was 9000+ and another day was 10,000+. Before the recent spike, a really bad day was 5000. Deaths aren't that high, because it is younger people testing positive, but obviously still happening. But our statewide vaccination rate is only 65%. The county where I live is only 47%.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    In the past week the active cases in the counties around me have doubled. We haven't been this high since December of last year. What is happening where you live?

Active cases are climbing here too (Ontario, Canada). Not surprising since winter is rolling in and outdoor activities are decreasing. They're saying we haven't seen these numbers since April. Most of the early cases were reported as travel (outside our region) and just spread from there.

Not a lot of hospitalizations but there have been a couple of deaths here and there. The health unit is not reporting vaccination status to protect individual privacy... because when there are only one or two cases in hospital, it's not going to be a secret. Vaccination uptake has been high here, 86% of 12+ are fully vaccinated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,719 Member
    lokihen wrote: »

Bad.

New cases recently were highest ever in the state (Michigan), 7-day average of new cases at least close to highest. Seems to be dropping off slightly in last few days, but still really bad. Multiple hospital systems overwhelmed, big hospitals unable to accept severe cases from small rural hospitals in the usual way; federal emergency teams have already been brought into some hospitals, others on the brink. Most cases in the hospitals are unvaccinated people.

It's cold here, has been snow, people moving inside. I don't think that's the only factor - far from it. But it's one factor.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Just spent $130 at Walgreens for 10 rapid tests. A few unvaccinated family members may not like it, but we’re telling anyone who wants to come for Christmas that they need to test first. And that we are providing the tests at the door.

I know I’ll get blowback from a few of them, but I’ll just say we are ALL doing this, vaccinated or not, so we are not singling them out.

Good for you! Although I'm sure that's nothing compared to the blowback you'll get if someone tests positive and you turn them away.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I asked if I could wander around the store and shop while I waited, and they said no, they wanted me to stay in the pharmacy area. They had already given me my card back, so I guess I COULD have left, but, yeah, I figure better safe than sorry in case I had a weird reaction that I didn't have to the first two.

We let people wait anywhere in the surgery or in a sort of mall down the middle of the building or go in the pharmacy or the blood collection site in the building -( the building consists of drs surgery one side and pharmacy, lab collection site and mental health counselling the other with a large hallway or mall down the middle) as they are still in the vicinity and under general supervision.

But we get the questions: can I go out to the coffee van, can I go out for a smoke, can I sit in my car?

No, of course not
    You have to stay inside under general supervision.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Theo 68. I've just come back in. I suppose that would be the implication, a booster in three months after the first booster one is advised to have! The advice I received was 6 months but that has now changed though my time lapse will be best part of 8! I believe there is all kinds of research not least to see how the vaccines we already have protect against the range of variants. Scientists do keep hard at work discovering short comings of situations and trying to better what is available.
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Not over here in Europe. For travel both vaccinated and unvaccinated have to have 24 hour negative test results as of this week in France and Germany. Other countries are even more strictly mandated.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    ElioraFR wrote: »
    Not over here in Europe. For travel both vaccinated and unvaccinated have to have 24 hour negative test results as of this week in France and Germany. Other countries are even more strictly mandated.

Oh I'm going to Germany in a couple of days and hadn't seen this, I kept checking as it changes so quickly. Was this just announced?