I ate all my day's calories for breakfast because I was hungry.

The more weight I lose, the hungrier I get. I've read lots of articles that back that up with "science" as well. First time in human history where eating too much is a bad thing. The more you lose, the hungrier you get.

I wish I had time to go to the store b/c I'd get some celery to chew on.

I've found peppermint tea can sometimes help with curbing appetite, so that's what I'll do.

I'm going to go over my calories today for the first time in months, b/c there is no way I'm going the whole day without eating. I typically time my meals an hour before my exercise sessions. I still have two more exercise sessions today. What a travesty.

The past couple of weeks I have been absolutely ravenous.

Replies

• dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    > I also find I tolerate a deficit less well at a lower BMI.

This is well accepted by "science"
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/news/20180214/yes-its-true-were-hungrier-after-losing-weight#1

It doesn't mean we need to adjust our calories. It just means we need to find ways to cope and live beyond it until our bodies have become most accustom. Most studies I've read said 1+ year of maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    How big is your calorie deficit? Are you accounting for your exercise with more calories? I never encountered this with my weight loss or 7 years of maintenance. The only time I've ever encountered it was going below about 12% BF which is really lean. I typically maintain at 15%ish and haven't encountered this at that level of BF or higher. I am unsure if you're male or female.
  • dontlikepeople
    edited December 2021
    Roughly an 800 calorie per day deficit most weeks, 1.5 to 2lbs per week, consistently, for the past year.

I have lost weight many times, and have always had intense hunger. Even when I was maintaining at 15% I was very hungry all the time. I am glad you have an easier time of it though.

• dontlikepeople
    Oh, right, because I'm the only person who gets hungry when losing weight :| FML why do I come here?
  • cwolfman13
    I've never really looked into it since I only experienced this at very low levels of BF...but I wonder if it may be something that is more pronounced when a lot of weight is lost or needs to be lost...or if perhaps weight has been an issue much of one's life.

I got myself really out of shape in my 30s chasing career, but even then the most I needed to lose was 35-40 Lbs. Most of my life I've been pretty lean...competitive track and field sprinter 3rd grade through high school...military combat ready unit...and in college I remained very active as I didn't own a car much of that time and biked and walked everywhere and most of my hobbies were some kind of active recreation. I was only chunky for a handful of years in my 30s.

IDK...just spit balling
  • cwolfman13
    Do different types of exercise do anything. I get pretty hungry on weight training days which is one of the numerous reasons I only do 2x per week full body...but long endurance cardio generally suppresses any appetite I might have.
  • dontlikepeople
    Agreed on cardio being an appetite suppressant. Exercise in general actually curbs my hunger. I time most my meals to be an hour or so before exercise in general. That works best for me.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Also maybe you're carb sensitive?
    I don't do keto but I try not to have too many carbs as they leave me hungry within an hour.
    Maybe give low - ish carb a try.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ghrelin

I'm not stalking your thread honestly 🤣 but this basically sums it up.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Please ignore the disagrees and try and listen to the people who are really trying to help you.

We all get disagrees and I never really try and figure it out, all type of mindsets here so your going to get the good with the bad.

Take the good, leave the bad. I won't give other advice because you've been given the gamut. Don't let negative deter you or run you away, this is a good site with good people.

Have a good day 😊🙃😉🤗

Yep, only wimps click "disagree" and don't actually post what they disagree with. Ignore the "disagree" folks, in the world of nutrition and health, so much is unknown and controversial that you basically can't say anything without someone disagreeing with you, so don't let it get to you. I agree that it's super annoying, but at the end of the day, it might keep the actually fighting here down because the disagree-ers stay silent most of the time.

I once had a post that was just me sharing what I personally did and how it affected me, and I think I got like 6 disagrees. I was like "how does someone even manage to disagree with the facts of what I did??"

As for your situation, it's hard to say what's happening, but I know from my personal experience of having lost a lot of weight that a prolonged duration of significant calorie restriction can trigger a rebound INSANE urge to binge that lasts for months. This happened to me in my early 20s when I was at my lowest weight, and I rebound gained 40lbs because I just could not stop eating.

Every time I've lost weight since, I've made sure to cycle through a few weeks of eating more, which has helped keep this at bay. It was really overwhelming at the time, and I never want to go through that again.

Good luck figuring out what will work for you. Because that's all that you really can do, experiment and see what works for you and your unique body.