Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Thread Ignoring

Currently, posters have the option to ignore all posts from specific users. (Or at least the option existed prior to the recent upgrade...does it still?) I recommend an option to allow users to ignore specific threads: the thread thereafter will not appear in the list of available discussions, the user will not be notified of new posts to the thread, it will be (for that user) as if the thread never existed.

Rationale: a specific thread may spur intense emotions in a reader, whether from memories due to past/present personal experience, or abject disagreement with a certain topic of discussion. While the user can abstain from opening the thread, the appearance of the title may be sufficient to cause unrest. Alternatively, a user may have no interest in a specific topic, and ignoring the thread would allow the user to more quickly locate other threads of actual interest.

Note: this is not giving other users the option to kick a specific poster out of a thread, but rather the option for a user to effectively kick THEMSELF out of the thread. Whether the thread is forever ignored, or moved to a separate "ignore" folder for the user to later opt to un-ignore, along with questions of unlimited ignores or a set number, I reserve for the community and staff to decide.
12 votes

Active · Last Updated

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I would love this option. I voted for this years ago. As someone who is in the forums often, there are plenty of threads that just aren’t my thing, and won’t ever be my thing. Wish we could “swipe left” or ignore so it’s more user friendly.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I would love love love this option!

I hate the visual clutter of seeing the same posts pop up all the time (usually "check in" thread that doesn't apply to or interest me, or some "chit/chat" fun-and-game crap thing with 4,000 responses).

I would love to just click "ignore" and never see them again!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    +1! I would love to be able to just block all the drop-a-word-add-a-word threads.
  • Ketomoijo
    Ketomoijo Posts: 89 Member
    You could just choose to ignore the thread or user 👍
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    One more vote for this! I posted in a thread a few years ago, having no idea it would blow up the way it did. Now I receive notifications every single day from a thread that does not interest me. I recently went on vacation and when I returned I had over 100 of these notifications to wade through before I could find the ones that interested me. Please make this happen!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Another vote here! I am not interested in challenges, memes, selfies, say something about above poster or drop-a-word-add-a-word games threads which can take up a good bit of real estate on the Recent Discussions page that I most often visit. It would be soooo nice to log in and not have to see those threads.
  • durden
    durden Posts: 3,172 MFP Staff
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    @durden you are correct, I see we can ignore categories of threads, but what about if I want to interact with SOME of a certain category? This recommendation is for specific threads.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited December 2021
    durden wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »
    @durden you are correct, I see we can ignore categories of threads, but what about if I want to interact with SOME of a certain category? This recommendation is for specific threads.

Agree that the function doesn’t go far enough to truly make it a user friendly experience.

I follow the food and nutrition category.. but there are plenty of popular threads in that same category that *always* pop up that don’t interest me.

It just clogs a personal feed with items of no interest and that’s a waste of time.

I’m sure there are things that I love that wouldn’t interest other people in the least. So now, users just scroll past.. but what if there was an ignore button on threads so you only get the content that you feel is relevant for you and your goals?

I love the recipes category, but if someone posts about cooking raccoon … I still want to see the recipes category.. but ignore that specific thread.