Looking for Delicious Vegan Recipes

Options
Hi Im. Ce Ce
I am changing my eating habits to vegan and I am looking for delicious recipes or a recommended cook book. I am also trying to loose 28 to 30 pounds. Any suggestions on getting in my daily protein?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Seitan
    Tofu, Tempeh, edamame
    Lentils
    Beans
    Nutritional Yeast
    Spelt and other "ancient grains"
    Hemp seed
    Green peas
    Breads made from sprouted grains
    Soy milk
    Oats and oat milk
    Wild rice
    Chia seeds
    Nuts and seeds
    Meat substitutes
    Certain veg has more protein than others...ie potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc

I'm not a vegan, but in my experience, being vegan and meeting one's nutritional requirements takes a bit more knowledge than your average omnivorous diet or even vegetarian diet. B12 deficiencies are common as plants do not have meaningful amounts of B12 so you will need to make sure you're eating foods fortified with B12 and supplementation to avoid deficiency. Anemia (iron deficiency) is also fairly common with a vegan diet.

Many people who ultimately choose to go vegan start with a vegetarian diet or even pescatarian as it is easier to meet nutritional needs rather than diving in all the way from an omnivorous diet. Many find going straight to a vegan diet to be pretty overwhelming.

I would assume you are doing this for ethical reasons. Veganism is an ethical stance whereby they also do not wear animal products (leather, wool, etc) or use products containing animal products or that were tested on animals.
  • Nahlei
    Nahlei Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I’m primarily vegetarian (on special occasions I’ll eat fish, so strictly speaking I’m pescatarian) but I have a few websites and cookbooks that I use a lot that are either vegan or can easily be adapted from vegetarian to vegan (they have notes at the bottom of the recipes for how to adapt to vegan)

My go to online recipe sites:
    https://www.lastingredient.com/
    https://cookieandkate.com/

Books I frequently use:
    Vegan For Everybody (America’s Test Kitchen)

The Complete Plant-Based Cookbook (America’s Test Kitchen) - some overlap with Vegan for Everybody

Love Real Food (Kathryn Taylor) - this one is vegetarian but has many vegan recipes and options for making recipes vegan

I typically add a side of protein to every meal (most often tofu, seitan, or tempeh).

https://cookieandkate.com/how-to-make-crispy-baked-tofu/ That is my favorite tofu preparation to add to meals

I’m not sure what your protein goals are, but you may need to supplement with a plant based protein powder if you are looking for high levels of protein. Best of luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but have been vegetarian for 47+ years.

My advice would be to not only plan "one big protein" per meal (the omnivore routine, often, i.e., "what's for dinner" "chicken"). In addition, think about how to get small bits of protein in other things you eat, side dishes, snacks, even fruits and beverages. Those really add up, through the day.

To get ideas for food sources of protein that are relatively higher in protein, relatively lower in calories, this is a good thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links a huge spreadsheet with many, many protein-rich foods. You'll need to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top, but the plant sources are there, further down the list.

One thing I'd suggest is that if you eat meat substitutes, you check the nutritional labels. Some of these have meaningful amounts of protein and are calorie efficient, but others are just "meaty tasting" or a meat-like texture for using in recipes. Just because something is sold as a meat substitute, it doesn't necessarily have meaningful amounts of protein. Some do, some don't.

For general information about nutrition for vegans, this is a really great source, run by registered dietitians who are themselves vegan:

https://veganhealth.org/

Frankly, there's a lot of advocacy nonsense on the web - propaganda, even in some cases - in which people with investment (actual $$) misrepresent nutritional fact to persuade people toward veganism. (I hate that sort of thing, they make people think plant-centric eaters like me are all anti-scientific and ignorant.) The site I linked is science based, but very vegan-positive.

Wolfman is right, vegans need to supplement B12. That's not the only nutrient that can be less available in plant foods, so requires some extra attention for best health. The VeganHealth site explains more, quite clearly.

The final comment I'd make also echoes one made above: I assume your motivation to become vegan is ethical, in some form. Specifically, I hope you're not adopting veganism because you believe it has special value for weight loss. It doesn't. Many people find plant foods filling, but they're not uniquely calorie efficient or uniquely nutritious.

Despite being a vegetarian for many decades (thin to fat and back to thin again, BTW), I think a vegetable/fruit-heavy omnivorous diet is probably the most healthful for most people, and requires less learning and care to keep in a healthy zone of well-rounded nutrition. Obviously, I do think vegetarianism/veganism is a good, worthwhile thing . . . but the reasons aren't superior nutrition or special weight loss usefulness.

Best wishes for success with your new routine!
  • HollyStormCloud
    HollyStormCloud Posts: 2,074 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for a little over 2 years and I will echo others in saying that it does take some effort and research to do it correctly.
    There are so many excellent vegan cookbooks out there now and like Nahlei, I use The Complete Plant-Based Cookbook (America's Test Kitchen) frequently. Others I use a lot include:

Power Plates - Gena Hamshaw
    Vegan Eats World - Terry Hope Romero
    The Oh She Glows Cookbook - Angela Liddon
    1,000 Vegan Recipes - Robin Robertson
    Tahini and Turmeric - Ruth Fox/Vicky Cohenm (if you're a fan of Middle Eastern food)

Check your local library for vegan cookbooks. Mine has quite a few.

Some great websites include:
    https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/
    https://www.pickuplimes.com/
    https://sweetsimplevegan.com/
    https://ohsheglows.com/

Good luck with your dietary change!

• esmereldaSP
    esmereldaSP Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Is it vegan (probably for ethical issues) or more a whole foods plant based (more for health) approach you've interested in? If the latter, there are a lot of great books with associated cookbooks/recipes. Dean Ornish has a few really good recipes. For reading/videos, I would also suggest you check out Michael Greger and others. If you are eating mostly whole foods and eating enough calories, you really don't have to worry about protein. In spite of what Americans seem to think, protein deficiency simply doesn't occur here under normal (see above) circumstances. On the other hand, many Americans are fiber deficient and a WFPB diet takes care of that, believe me! As a matter of fact, letting your body adjust to the increased fiber is something to take a little care with--much more than any nutritional deficit as long as you are eating mostly whole foods. As noted by a previous poster, if you eliminate all animal products (not all WFPB eliminate them entirely), for an extended period of time, you do need to add a B12 supplement (or start eating dirt, lol)--that's the biggest catch to going vegan. Hope this helps! I'm a SparkPeople refuge and very new here. Is there a vegan/vegetarian/WFPB group here?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    Is it vegan (probably for ethical issues) or more a whole foods plant based (more for health) approach you've interested in? If the latter, there are a lot of great books with associated cookbooks/recipes. Dean Ornish has a few really good recipes. For reading/videos, I would also suggest you check out Michael Greger and others. If you are eating mostly whole foods and eating enough calories, you really don't have to worry about protein. In spite of what Americans seem to think, protein deficiency simply doesn't occur here under normal (see above) circumstances. On the other hand, many Americans are fiber deficient and a WFPB diet takes care of that, believe me! As a matter of fact, letting your body adjust to the increased fiber is something to take a little care with--much more than any nutritional deficit as long as you are eating mostly whole foods. As noted by a previous poster, if you eliminate all animal products (not all WFPB eliminate them entirely), for an extended period of time, you do need to add a B12 supplement (or start eating dirt, lol)--that's the biggest catch to going vegan. Hope this helps! I'm a SparkPeople refuge and very new here. Is there a vegan/vegetarian/WFPB group here?

This is the closest to that that I know of, that's still semi-active, though it's a bit low traffic:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

BTW, I somewhat disagree with you about protein adequacy in plant-based diets. It's true that it's rare for most Americans to be protein deficient, but most Americans eat animal-sourced foods. The protein density of plant foods is lower, as is the protein quality. In the past, I'd had a few friends who became vegan/vegetarian and developed serious problems, in part because they stopped eating meat/eggs/dairy, but didn't ramp up plant protein at all. It can happen, unfortunately.

It's not like it's some mega-difficult thing to get enough good quality protein, but IMO it does require extra attention, and that can be especially true if trying to cut calories alongside. (I'm not a shill for Big Meat: I've been vegetarian for 47+ years myself, and mostly preferring whole foods along the way.)

I've even seen some omnivores' diaries here where the person is getting seriously low protein: There are a few people whose eating preferences land them there, though it isn't common among omnivores.

One of the great things about food logging with a tool like MFP, IME, is the ability to easily track macronutrient intake (and fiber), and tweak eating if something isn't where one would like it to be.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I don't think there are too many Americans who think protein deficiency is some rampant thing or much of an issue at all. Also, most Americans are omnivorous...so would generally get sufficient protein as to not be deficient. Protein needs can also vary widely depending on activity and how much stress those activities put on your body.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I really like the Bosh! and Bish Bash Bosh recipe books. They also have a website bosh.tv
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I love SweetPotatoSoul, ElaVegan, and ChocolateCoveredKatie (for baking). CookieandKate has vegetarian recipes that are yummy and some are vegan. They have blogs with lots of plant based recipes that are tasty.
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love the "forks over knives" website for recipes. My go-to protein dishes are: lentil salad, black bean soup, vegetarian chili, black bean dip, peanut soup, chia pudding. The chick pea based pastas (Banza, etc) are not what I would call high-protein, but are a good way to get a bit more protein and nutrition than regular pasta. I also like to sprinkle hemp-seeds over a lot of dishes (i.e. pastas dishes, grains, oatmeal) to add a little extra protein. I sometimes use nuts, but they can have a lot of fat and calories. You can also use Roasted soybeans, like nuts for toppings, salads, etc. to give you more protein and less fat. Salads with beans, nuts, and/or tofu. Wasabi peas for snacking.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like connoisseurus veg, holy cow vegan, jessica in the kitchen, sauce stache and all the others mentioned above.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There's a Facebook group called "veganuary" for people who have signed up to try being vegan for the month of January. Lots of info on there, recipes, recommendations for books, YouTube stuff etc. I've found it informative and helpful. Newbies like me who are giving it a go for the first time and lots of vegans who have been doing it for a while.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love vegan food but am not vegan.

Minimalist baker website has amazing vegan recipes!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hey CeCe! I'm a college kid and fairly busy, so most of these recipes are pretty low-effort. Hope you enjoy them!

https://skinnyms.com/protein-packed-black-bean-and-lentil-soup-recipe/
    Really good low-calorie, higher-protein soup that cooks up quick. I usually just add a quarter of an onion, frozen mixed veggies, and some vegan sausages to make it a 15-minute meal.

https://thewholeserving.com/baked-black-bean-tacos-with-red-chile-sauce/
    Delicious and crowd-friendly. I generally make it with rotel tomatoes and some mushrooms. I also like to add a cup of TVP into the skillet with the garlic and onion to bump up the protein.

https://rachlmansfield.com/turmeric-golden-milk-oatmeal-bake/#tasty-recipes-24594-jump-target
    This is great for prepping ahead of time and is high protein. I usually use water instead of almond milk, but you can add soy milk for an extra protein boost. I like mine with sugar-free syrup and some hemp seeds on top.

https://simple-veganista.com/spicy-lentil-quinoa-wraps-with-tahini/
    This lentil-quinoa mix is FANTASTIC for tacos and takes 20-minutes. I ignore the dressing and serve it with spicy hummus and veggies. It's not high-protein, so I also like adding it to tostadas or taco salad with vegan-friendly refried beans if I need a boost.

https://bakerbynature.com/my-favorite-morning-glory-muffins/#wprm-recipe-container-37909
    Really good, snacky muffins. They fill you up, thanks to plenty of fiber, are about 222 calories per serving, and can be made easier by buying pre-shredded carrots and chopping an apple finely instead of grating it.