Shape Shifters Team Chat - DECEMBER 2021

Replies

• @jennifersusanmcdougall Have a wonderful happy birthday!!
    @hipari The reason why junk is a concern is they are both diabetics, and they have both lost weight in the past couple years due to the dementia we think. Dementia lessens hunger and thirst big time. I don't think either of them are taking a daily multivitamin, which would be really nice. But I am really concerned about getting nutrition in them, and any liquids. But they seem to absolutely prefer sugar in everything, which is the tough part.

When I took care of Pa while Ma was in the hospital, Pa ate 4 nutter butter cookies for breakfast (???) a couple bites of a cream cheese kolache for lunch (???) and almost half of the meatloaf that his youngest son sent him. He ignored the two vegetables not even taking one bite of either of them. He also ignored the water I placed next to him all day. He drank 6 oz of coffee in the am, 12 oz of dr pepper at dinner. And 6 oz of water with his am meds and 6 oz of water with his pm meds.

I am really concerned about the sugars not about obesity. In a bit to get some sort of nutrition in them I have discussed providing some nuts. They are nutrient dense, and you don't need to eat a ton to get calories. But the hubby thinks the in laws won't eat the nuts as a snack/meal unless they are covered in sugar (of course!). I think in view of what I saw him eat, that would be preferable, since nuts at least have minerals in them and usually some vitamins.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    @justanotherloser007 I get it with the sugars. Could diet soda and artificial sweeteners in general be an option for them?

I openly admit I don’t know much about diabetes care, but here’s an uncomfortable question: if they love sugar, is it worth it to just let them eat it knowing it might shorten their lives a little bit? Would it actually help if they are elderly and don’t have a lot of time left anyway, so they get enough energy in and enjoy their lives more? We were forced to ask these questions regarding alcohol and my grandpa, and eventually it was decided by the family that his remaining life is likely short enough he won’t do extra damage with alcohol, and if he wants to live it happily buzzed he can do that. He ended up on medication that couldn’t be mixed with alcohol at all, but that’s a different story. With your in-laws’ medication routine it sounds like adding a daily vitamin pill to either morning or evening would work just fine, if it can be mixed with their other medication. That’s what was done with grandpa, we just added a vitamin pill to his pill sorting tray after consulting with the doctor.

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/candied-pecans-recipe/ I’ve made these sugar coated pecans for my grandma a couple of times, and she really enjoyed them. I ran them through the MFP recipe builder once, and a smallish jar of them was about 2000 calories, so perfect for sneaking calories.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Hi @jessicakrall8

I’m so sorry I disappeared this week. Been looking forward to the new group but my Dads been in and out of the hospital and looks like I’m headed back tomorrow.

Can you put me on the temporary suspension list please? I’ll be back as soon as I can!

Cynthia
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    Steps for Sunday, 12 Dec: 11.627
    Happy Monday everyone <3
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,102 Member
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    Hi @jessicakrall8

I’m so sorry I disappeared this week. Been looking forward to the new group but my Dads been in and out of the hospital and looks like I’m headed back tomorrow.

Can you put me on the temporary suspension list please? I’ll be back as soon as I can!

Cynthia

@ncfitbit Cynthia, you and your family will be in my prayers. I'll tell the MODS...hope he gets better soon...just try to breathe...I know you feel helpless in the situation...been through it many times...take care!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    @shnerb00 You signed up for the Step Challenge, so please don't forget to post your steps every few days. Hope all is going well...haven't heard much from you...how are you doing?
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    @justanotherloser007 I went through the same situation with Type 2 Diabetes with both my grandmother and mother. I know what you mean. We removed ALL sugar from the house and only had splenda packets on hand so they could use for cereal and coffee. My mother suffered from dementia for the last 16 years of her life due to strokes she had throughout that time. If you can use the assistance of someone to be home with them during the day (even if only a few hours), it helps immensely and they can remind them to eat on schedule and keep them hydrated. In the beginning I even took my mom to senior daycare and that helped. PLEASE don't be afraid to ask for help, whether it's from family, friends, neighbors, church or community. Self care is vital when being a primary care giver. It's the hardest job there is...

We're here for you to vent...that's important too. **HUGS**
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    edited December 2021
    JessicaKrall8
    Monday Weigh-in
    PW: 303.5
    CW: 302.6
    LTD: 77.4 lbs
  • Chalmation
    Chalmation Posts: 2,625 Member
    Daily Step Goal: 8,000
    12/11: 10,246
    12/12: 8,553
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 268 Member
    Monday already? ... Busy season for me work-wise. Thank goodness I ordered pre-made prep meals for the next 2 weeks The Holidays are around the corner and I'm not ready 😧
    @jessicakrall8 - During busy times I order pre-made meals online from a local company that delivers to your home or a local NutriShop in the area. I'm In Southern California so there's quite a few businesses that do this. I found them via Yelp search: "meal prep services" near me.

Great weekend - My Employer (in lieu of holiday party) treated the staff of 6 (including spouses/or +1) to: a holiday light cruise followed by Dinner and overnight stay in Newport beach. It was a great time, pretty sure I lost track of all the food/drink we enjoyed.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Mulecanter
    Monday
    PW 219
    CW 219.5
  • jessicakrall8
    Yukie_OP wrote: »
    Monday already? ... Busy season for me work-wise. Thank goodness I ordered pre-made prep meals for the next 2 weeks The Holidays are around the corner and I'm not ready 😧
    @jessicakrall8 - During busy times I order pre-made meals online from a local company that delivers to your home or a local NutriShop in the area. I'm In Southern California so there's quite a few businesses that do this. I found them via Yelp search: "meal prep services" near me.

Great weekend - My Employer (in lieu of holiday party) treated the staff of 6 (including spouses/or +1) to: a holiday light cruise followed by Dinner and overnight stay in Newport beach. It was a great time, pretty sure I lost track of all the food/drink we enjoyed.

@Yukie_OP I'll have to check into that meal prep services...that would come in handy once a month or so...thanks!! Your cruise sounds heavenly...hope you had a wonderful time! What an awesome idea from your employer!!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    4q4dgn9mnmvt.png

A wonderful friend of mine from another of our teams posted this to her feed this morning. I don't think she'll mind me poaching it from her...found a pretty graphic of it...really makes you think. We all need to give ourselves more credit.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,181 Member
    edited December 2021
    4q4dgn9mnmvt.png

A wonderful friend of mine from another of our teams posted this to her feed this morning. I don't think she'll mind me poaching it from her...found a pretty graphic of it...really makes you think. We all need to give ourselves more credit.

I like that. I've often said something similar... perhaps what could be called a corollary of that:

"Be disciplined now, make hard choices now, and a future [version of] you will be thankful for it."
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,558 Member
    Monday, December 13

Exercise: gym
    Net calories: 389
    Protein: 43
    Steps: 12.638 / 11.000

Ramblings of the day
    Good morning team. I finally made it to the gym again which was really good. When I got home, a package from my mom was waiting for me. She sent me some small presents for Christmas. It was really nice to get after a rough week. My fitbit went a little crazy and gave me 2477 extra calories today for some reason. I usually burn a little over 900 on gym days, so I just used that to calculate my net calories. Hopefully this is a one time thing and it will behave from now on. Happy Tuesday everyone <3
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 651 Member
    Steps

12/6 - 3,387
    12/7 - 2,828
    12/8 - 4,466
    12/9 - 8,265
    12/10 - 6,163
    12/11 - 3,720
    12/12 - 3,978
    12/13 - 7,732
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    I’m cleared for exercise! Well, kind of. I had my postpartum checkup this morning, and unfortunately it was pretty much a waste of time, except knowing nothing is wrong down there. The doc practically threw me out of the room before I could present any of my questions. I’m glad I booked a private 90-minute appointment for a physical therapist next week to get properly checked and have my questions answered regarding safe exercising and weight loss. So, I guess I’ll just continue with walking and add some light stretching and strength training at home until next week’s appointment.

My husband and I had a pretty serious discussion last night, as he’s been wanting me to lose weight for about 10 years now and I’ve had very little success. My goal is to get down to 176lbs (79,9kg) by the time I return to work next fall. I’m currently 240lbs, so that’s 64lbs in roughly 43 weeks, 1,5lbs per week. Not impossible, although it does require had work and we both agreed that our daughter and her needs come first so if my milk production drops or I need to otherwise slow down to take better care of her, that’s what we’ll do. Anyway, he’s committed to this as a lifestyle change that requires changes in our diet, and to make sure I have the opportunity for frequent exercise and gym visits.
This discussion has been closed.