Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Fear of injections can be an issue for some but its probably a relatively small number. There might be good news coming. Going into test in Southampton UK is a vaccine which can be freeze dried and given by way of compressed air. A small, hand held unit is held to the arm and a jet of air takes the dose through the skin, no pin prick, I believe there is nothing to feel.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    edited December 2021
    The only genuine reason not to get vaccinated is a medical contraindication - and I cant see why anyone would be reluctant to share that.

[edited by MFP staff]
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    The only genuine reason not to get vaccinated is a medical contraindication - and I cant see why anyone would be reluctant to share that.

[edited by MFP staff]

^ this is the first time I have seen that a post was edited by MFP.

I am also seeing that the most recent post on this thread by @cwolfman13 comes up "Reply Not Found. The page you were looking for could not be found."

Is MFP monitoring content more than I have previously noticed?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Fear of injections can be an issue for some but its probably a relatively small number. There might be good news coming. Going into test in Southampton UK is a vaccine which can be freeze dried and given by way of compressed air. A small, hand held unit is held to the arm and a jet of air takes the dose through the skin, no pin prick, I believe there is nothing to feel.
    My husband has had compressed air shots in the Army and says they hurt like hell. It’s not the needle that hurts but the liquid being forced under your skin. They do it because it’s avoiding dirty needles, not because it doesn’t hurt.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I agree with this, and with rheddmobile's post just above that no one here judges those who cannot be vaxxed for medical reasons.

Also, as the person who noted that the regular posters here are all vaxxed, so don't need to be told to get vaxxed -- which I contend is true -- I also agree with 33gail33's post that at this point no one (the occasional poster, lurkers) who can medically be vaxxed and yet has chosen not to be vaxxed (and certainly in the US anyone not vaxxed is choosing that), is not going to be convinced by a post on a forum. Thus, it does feel a bit like a lecture to people to whom it does not apply (most of us here who got all our covid shots ASAP) -- and yes, I do tend to read lectures directed to no one in particular as directed to everyone in the thread, which is perhaps one of those interpretative quirks that Ann talks about, and my personal issue, but I will still be honest about my reaction.

Beyond that, there's really no way to have a debate about the vax here without it getting political or otherwise contentious.

I guess this is directed at me. It is not my intention to lecture anyone. Or imply that vaxxed people are being targeted in my comments. They aren't. MOST got vaccinated? So, I'm not entitled to post because it doesn't apply to vaccinated persons? Clearly, there are individuals that are reading this thread that are NOT vaccinated. I certainly did not make this a political issue, way above my pay grade. You don't need to be political to do the right thing. Many people are choosing to NOT be vaccinated in the US.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »

[edited by MFP staff]

^ this is the first time I have seen that a post was edited by MFP.

I am also seeing that the most recent post on this thread by @cwolfman13 comes up "Reply Not Found. The page you were looking for could not be found."

Is MFP monitoring content more than I have previously noticed?

Typically it means someone was offended and flagged something.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

[edited by MFP staff]

I'd certainly accept religious reasons as well, although I don't know which (if any) faiths prohibit vaccination. I do know that there are some with strong beliefs surrounding permissible medical treatments.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    Seventh Day Adventists don't allow medical care, IIRC. Locally, I have heard that the Amish are very unwilling to seek medical treatment and have not been widely vaccinated. I don't know whether they have had serious Covid issues or not. Very few are obese, which makes a difference in the likelihood of serious illness.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    As far as I know, we do not have Amish communities in Australia so I am unaware of their ideology on this.
    As well as not being obese, they are probably at less risk, and are less risk to others, by virtue of living in tightly closed communities?

There is a seventh day adventist church in my town and we have certainly vaccinated, and given other medical treatments, to members of the church, including the leader ( pastor, minister, ?? Not sure which term they use)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2021
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So there was a large party in Norway where Omicron spread among exclusively vaccinated people with no trouble. It does seem to completely ignore the vaccine as far as infection is concerned. So far no one from the party is very ill, but since they are all younger healthy people that doesn’t tell us much about how serious the infections are yet, since statistically they would probably be fine, even unvaxxed, with previous variants.

Remember that bear week celebration in Massachusetts over the summer where so many vaxxed people got Delta and everyone said that meant vaxxed people weren't protected? It turned out that while it's not 100%, the vaccines are preventing many infections. And no one knows why that super spreader happened.

Yep, I remember that I saw that event as an anomoly and made the point that media should stop focusing so much on that and using it as an example to spread the message that vaccinated people are more likely to get severe illness than unvaccinated people (statistically true in that case). It's important not to make conclusions based on exceptions alone.