Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I wouldn't say it's necessarily a hate, but more of an objection. There's a dude at the gym who is very vocal, and he was even groaning as he was foam rolling his muscles the other day. I have headphones on, but it's distracting. Then today, a woman was legit moaning when she was finishing out her set. I mean, it must have been her "ugh, I'm in pain" moan, but it also could've been mistaken for something else if you didn't know the context.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    It's why I train at home, I can moan and scream all I want :D
  • maria4560h
    maria4560h Posts: 41 Member
    I went to the abs/hips section the other day and there was this one guy the entire time I was in that section using every machine in it except the one he was at. He used it on and off but when he wasn’t actively using the machine for exercises on the machine he used it for balancing his stretches which he could do random places around the whole gym including a few places people typically do stretches in the ab section anyways. The usual stretch machines were not in use at all anyways. When there was nothing else to do for me except the machine he was hoarding I told him I’m calling management and got on the phone. Then he left. Not until then though. I asked him nicely before then but he didn’t care at all.
  • Mychal987
    Mychal987 Posts: 78 Member
    The guy that has to do bicep curls in front of the weight rack, blocking other ppl’s access to the weights instead of sliding a couple feet over to a non-doucher location
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Lunges, any type.

Oh wait, this was supposed to be about the gym?

Gyms that aren't 24 hours (I workout after the kids go to bed), gyms that don't have adequate heat (I have raynauds), gyms that UPCHARGE to use the literal free weights (looking at you 10 fitness).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Trainers that set up their clients with no respect for other people using the gym.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Trainers that set up their clients with no respect for other people using the gym.

But I need to balance on the Bosu ball doing pink weight curls in the middle of a squat cage so I feel more powerful!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Couple middle age guys today wearing what appeared to be brand new lifting belts and all they were doing was biceps and triceps...none of my business really...not really a hate I guess, but they looked goofy as hell.
  • AngWBald
    AngWBald Posts: 59 Member
    People who want to start up a conversation while I'm trying to use the elliptical or any other aerobic machine. Yes, I'm out of breath and I prefer not to talk right now.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    Just putting this out now in advance of the new year, but all the New Year's Resolutioners who swarm the gym the first couple weeks in January, making it impossible for us year-round regulars to get a workout in until they all disappear again by February. By all means, welcome to the gym, I hope you become regulars and improve your life. But if you're only there to fart around because you "swore" you were finally going to "get fit this time" then stop fooling yourself and taking up our space.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Just putting this out now in advance of the new year, but all the New Year's Resolutioners who swarm the gym the first couple weeks in January, making it impossible for us year-round regulars to get a workout in until they all disappear again by February. By all means, welcome to the gym, I hope you become regulars and improve your life. But if you're only there to fart around because you "swore" you were finally going to "get fit this time" then stop fooling yourself and taking up our space.

I lift 11:30-12:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The lunch hour is pretty tame and I hope it stays relatively that way. I do most of my work in the power rack area of my gym...so hopefully, if there is a big uptick in attendance, I'm thinking most newbies won't be starting there.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited December 2021
    I had to go off on a trainer yesterday. I was up against a wall in a large open area of the gym. I was doing single arm inverted kettlebell floor presses when I head something clanging down near me. I stop my exercise to see what happened. Trainer plopped a metal step box down 2 feet from my head. Now there is no set storage area for this piece of equipment and there was literally 50 ft of open wall space where she could have set it down.

I explained to her that her actions could startle someone and I really didn't want to lose control of a 40 pound kettlebell close to being over my head.

She gave me the "what's wrong" look. Stupid *kitten*.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    nossmf wrote: »

Yes! I dread the rush of people that start coming to the gym in January.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Christmas is over and it's started. Gym getting crowded. Which I don't mind. But all these people just loitering around. Like 3 dudes using the Squat rack but they dragged 2 benches over to the Squat rack so the 2 bros could sit while the third squatted. Not like there's 8 of us killing time waiting for a bench... :/
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    edited December 2021
    I have never even been in a commercial gym and after reading the 11 pages of this thread don't think I ever want to! I'll stick with my home gym in my bedroom!
    036wp9ntasps.jpg
  • Theoldguy1
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    I have never even been in a commercial gym and after reading the 11 pages of this thread don't think I ever want to! I'll stick with my home gym in my bedroom!
    036wp9ntasps.jpg

Thought I'd respond because I do think you only get one side of the coin in this thread.

I LOVE the gym. And yes that's me just above your post complaining. But I spent 7 months at home working out then finally joined a gym. I'm never going back. I love it. I love the options. I love the equipment and diversity. I even love seeing what other people are doing and taking from that. I go to the gym 6 days a week and miss it on Day 7.

But is the experience perfect? Obviously not. Why? Because people are there and some of them suck lol.

But I'd take it over working out at home any day. This is just a nice place for me to vent about the jerks.

But I LOVE the gym.

Likewise. Have been using public gyms for 40+ years.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,688 Member
    JMC3Terp wrote: »
    Thought I'd respond because I do think you only get one side of the coin in this thread.

I LOVE the gym.

Bingo. Just like I love my wife, will never stray from her, but I have stories about our marriage which paint an entirely different picture if they were the only ones heard.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    I live in IL where certain substances are now legal. Theres a group that like to partake in their car immediately before entering the gym. It smells the entire lobby and work area up for hours. 🤢🤢🤢