How do you run on snow?

Hi! How do you all run on snow and ice? What shoes do you use? Do you have links to spikes that you put on over your normal running shoes? Shoveling sidewalks seems optional in my city. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I don't run, but I cycle and mountain bike and hike and walk. In the winter most of my exercise goes indoors during the week, namely because it's dark at the times available to me for exercise. If it's a nice day and roads and whatnot are clear I will get outside on the weekends for a ride...but mostly I switch to spin classes and training with Zwift on my indoor bike trainer in the winter.

My wife is a runner and she does not run in snow or on ice...she doesn't really like it as much, but she hits the treadmill a lot more during the winter months, particularly in bad weather. Fortunately winter here is fairly short lived, so we put up with indoor training for a few months and look forward to spring.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I live in a pretty extreme winter climate with a ton of snow and ice. I can't run due to injury, but I walk a lot in the winter and my DH is an avid runner. There are specific winter running shoes that you can buy, which have goretex and more grippy soles. My DH finds these to be sufficient for winter running in most conditions, but if there's a recent snowstorm, we both prefer to add Yack Tracks for better grip.

But really, just the winter running shoes are sufficient for 80-90% of our winter season needs, and winter is looooong and haaaaarsh here.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    On skis!
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    I use Yak Trax, especially the ones with the ice option, as sometimes I do like to jog in the woods when I take my dog out for our usual walk. However, my jog is really just that: it's slow and controlled and careful. The hills here are icy and dangerous. Also, the snow is packed down and not fluffy, usually, because the trail is used by many. If the snow were fluffy, I would use snowshoes, I think.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited December 2021
    I haven't run as much on snow the last two years, but I did quite a bit of it when training for an early spring marathon several years back. Among the marathoners and trail runners in our group, two methods are popular.
    Many of us wear trail running shoes, such as Saucony Peregrines or similar models. In addition, some in the group, including me, used strap on style nanospikes. I use Kahtoola nanospikes. They work well on snow and ice, but are not comfortable on bare pavement.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Snowshoes.
    016m7mabearr.png

• DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 120 Member
    Depends on the surface. Trail shoes may provide enough stability if the snow is fresh powder; they also work well on hard-packed snow. Anything remotely icy, Yaktrax are the way to go. Regardless, you'll need to slow your pace.
  • mirianyusm
    mirianyusm Posts: 89 Member
    edited December 2021
    I don't run in the snow but do run on icy pavement. I wear Icebug shoes that I bought at Amazon but I am sure you can find them at REI or other sporting goods store.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Depending on the amount of ice/snow, I either go with non-spiked trail running shoes or a retired pair of spiked XC shoes with shorter 1/8" spikes. (I don't recommend the latter if significant amount of bare pavement).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I have a couple of friends who live where there is a lot of snow every winter who have made their own spiked shoes using screws. You can look it up online.
  • PolarBearBob
    PolarBearBob Posts: 17 Member
    I was born and raised in Alaska, and before my futile and failed attempt to tame Alaska I snowshoed. I can't manage it with my knees now but it is an incredible workout.

Dress appropriately because you will sweat yourself soaking wet in short order and in a short distance. There are a huge variety of shoes to choose from. The ones I recommend are the long narrow version not bear paws. Use trekking poles or cross country ski poles to aid your run.

Once you have developed a rythm for running with them it will take you to any level of challenge you are looking for.
    Good Luck
    PolarBearBob
  • BethJE17
    BethJE17 Posts: 9 Member
    I've lived in the New England area my whole life and I love running outside in the Winter. If there is any snow or ice on the ground I put Yak Trax on my sneakers and that helps a ton! If I were to run in deep snow I would just use snowshoes! Best of luck and have fun!
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    all, thank you. i bought the yak trax and another type specifically for running! now to start getting into running....
  • kdhaile
    kdhaile Posts: 26 Member
    Micro spikes on trail runners is what I use. You just have to be careful on clear pavement because the micro spikes will KILL your feet if you have to go long (I would usually just walk then). As most other people noted you will need to reduce your pace. Landing on your behind on ice is not fun (take it from my experience).