Prediabetic

My most recent bloodwork is consistent with prediabetes. My NP has suggested a low carb diet and exercise and we'll re-check in 3 months. Does anyone have any suggestions or advise?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Do some reading on the internet .just google the topic. It sounds like you need a better explanation and reason for why you should exercise and what carbs you should and should not eat.

A lot of people on here have turned a diagnosis like yours around. I'm sure they can tell you what worked for them..

But from what I know.. you want to keep your blood sugar stable.. that means eating protein with your meals and staying away from sugar and refined carbohydrates that will spike your blood sugar.

• MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 45 Member
    Happy to encourage you! I am in the process of reversing prediabetes.
    On May 21, 2022 this year, my A1c was 6.1 after much research and soul searching and changing my diet, rechecked A1C on August 1, 2022 and results were fantastic at 5.3. Also, my blood work was totally great!! LMK if I can answer any questions...
  • Sharsou
    Sharsou Posts: 8,844 Member
    How did you reverse it? For some strange reason, I’ve landed in the pre-diabetic zone with 6.2 rating. I’d like to know the things you actually cut down from ur diet. I don’t have sweet tooth, so I’m not sure what would’ve caused it?🤷‍♂️
  • ldaltonbishop
    ldaltonbishop Posts: 97 Member
    You know, it's almost as important what you make sure is IN your diet as what you leave out when dealing with diabetes. Balanced meals are important, which means most meals should have (low fat) protein, leafy greens or a low-carb vegetable, and also include some starchier stuff. For the starch, higher-fiber is somewhat better than the very popular potatoes, pasta, or rice. You can still have those things but limit quantities. A serving of pasta (2 ounces dry) looks pretty small on a plate.

You don't have to give up flavor. But you really, really have to watch portion sizes. Also, get enough sleep. And cardio is more important than resistance training. I try to get my heart rate up for 30 minutes a day at least five times a week. You can still do weight training if you like. But include cardio. And just walking is fine. I'm not very fast. It doesn't matter.

You don't have to give up sweets entirely but you do have to factor them into your carb counting. I usually try to avoid what I think of as sweets without virtue - pure sugar and fat, mostly. But I do eat a lot of protein bars (only 5 grams of sugar per serving, and 10 grams of protein).

I used to think I ate pretty healthy but there were certainly days when I worked late that I would just have a milkshake for dinner. I don't do that any more. But I can have a mini ice cream sandwich sometimes.

It's a lifestyle change. You can still eat most things you like, just small, small portions. But be mindful, and mostly eat the healthy stuff.