Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited November 2021
    I have been glued to reading & rereading these posts as I work out evaluating / balancing weight loss goals and health from @NovusDies & everyone all week. Great solid advice & I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all these nuggets of wisdom, often collated with humor & kindness…..
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,813 Member
    I was mulling over my relative success in losing - and keeping off (for a year) - a substantial amount of weight. Oh I’d done it once or twice before with little success, deprivation and daily hunger. This time has been so much easier. Honestly I think a lot of it has been having the time to care for myself. When I had more family responsibilities, a job and more worries, I was always last. One of the perks of getting older has been letting go.
    I am so impressed that so many of you can do it all and still lose weight. I’m cheering you on!
  • luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    I talked to a registered dietitian for the first time today. I'm not sure I agree with some of her comments, but I did find a few remarks of hers intriguing and worth diving deeper into.

The TL;DR version:
    • Focus on healthy eating more than calorie tracking, using MFP more as a food journal.
    • It's better to go at it slowly and steadily.
    • Hunger pains stem from dehydration, true hunger signals, unbalanced prior meal, or emotional needs. How to differentiate actual hunger signals from emotional hunger pains depends on time. Real hunger pains occur after about two hours from our last meal slowly. We're supposed to be eating every 3-4 hours while we're awake.
    • If we open the fridge, but nothing appeals to us, we're looking for emotional fulfillment. So delay the munchies, find alternatives, and determine why we need to comfort ourselves with food.
    • Treat food like medicine. Of course, we need enough nutrients to sustain ourselves, but "overdosing" is terrible.

The more extended, more detailed version for those interested in reading:
    Comments I can agree with:
    • Rather than focusing on calorie tracking, focus more on healthy eating.
    • She recommended the plate method to ensure I'm getting the right amount of nutrients our bodies need to survive. For those who don't know what the plate method is, it's to take a 9"/22.86cm plate and divide it into sections: Fill half the plate with fiber dense, starchy(?) vegetables, a quarter of the plate with a form of lean protein (i.e., salmon, lean chicken, etc.), and the last quarter with dense, complex carbohydrates (i.e., brown rice or quinoa).
    • The best way to get healthy fats is to take the actual food as part of our diets, i.e., actually eating the avocados and olives, etc.
    • Slow and steady is how you keep the weight off, including adding exercise and choosing nutritious food items instead. It's also the healthier way to go about it, rather than continuously cycling between losing the weight and gaining it, only to need to lose it. Apparently, it's a cause of gall issues and stomach-related illnesses or cancer? Unfortunately, I wasn't too focused on that topic, so I don't remember what she said exactly. The video visit wasn't the best of connections, either.
    Comments I'm unsure about:
    • With cooking oils, it doesn't matter the type as long as it's closest to the natural source and buy the most miniature bottle available. It's meant to be used sparingly and keep the food from sticking to the pan. She recommends staying away from coconut oil and one other oil because those aren't heart-healthy and contain a high content of saturated fats.
    • Like the first item I listed initially, use MFP as a food journal instead of focusing on calorie tracking. I believe she was trying to warn me about limiting myself and not taking in enough nutrients due to the calorie limit. Though I think it's possible to still be within the calorie limit and have a nutritiously dense meal, I just need to find those ingredients. :lol:
    Thought-provoking comments:
    • According to her, we're supposed to be eating every 3-4 hours, so after around 2 hours, we will start receiving valid hunger signals slowly. Hunger pains that happen almost instantly result from dehydration or sugar crash due to an earlier unbalanced meal. Or we're really trying to satisfy an emotional need because we're culturally trained to associate comfort with food.
    • If I open the fridge, but nothing appeals to me, it's a sure sign that I'm looking for emotional fulfillment rather than nutritional satiety. At that point, the dietitian urged me to look to alternatives, such as talking with friends, taking a self-care break, or doing something I enjoy. The main point is to delay munching and instead figure out why we need to comfort ourselves with food.
    • The most thought-provoking thing of all: Think of treating food like medicine. We need enough to sustain our bodies nutritionally. So if we ate our nutrient-rich plate of food mindfully and still want more, we're now trying to fulfill an emotional need. At that point, it's OK to have that ice cream or whatever it is that makes that need satisfied. So the dietitian urged me to be present and mindful when eating that ice cream or whatever it is to tune ourselves to when the emotional need is fulfilled. At the same time, because we're mindfully enjoying said ice cream, our brains now have time to catch up and send that "I'm full!" signal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    Gallstones are often associated with rapid and significant weight loss. Pretty high correlation.

Coconut oil claims to have some good mojo medium chain (I believe) triglycerides supposedly negating the fact it is a saturated oil (solid at room temp). Problem is most National heart associations after looking at evidence... still say no (or at least they did three years ago when I checked)

Many people resent or get triggered by counting or set extreme goals. Some people find freedom in counting, especially when associated with reasonable and flexible goals

I would rather count than worry about making my plate pretty and not too empty and not too full. This may obviously not work as well for everyone. Doesn't mean I don't eat my veggies either 😹

While I was losing weight and even now quite often when I'm back home without encumbrances! I have multiple snacks and no formal meal.

Encumbrances tend to want real meals. Fitting them in the day makes things a bit harder!

The best thing is that you're exploring and thinking about what will work best for you! 🐹🤔❣️
  • Yoolypr
    That’s it! Multiple snacks instead of a third formal meal. That’s what I’ve been trying this week and so far so good. Probably won’t work for most people though. I do log all snacks. Party is over when I reach calories limit.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    That’s it! Multiple snacks instead of a third formal meal. That’s what I’ve been trying this week and so far so good. Probably won’t work for most people though. I do log all snacks. Party is over when I reach calories limit.

I can see how that option might work - but for me, the snacks tend to be high calorie enough to add up to more than quality, filling meal very quickly.

I think I just need to have a chef on-hand to quickly bring me a healthy, filling, low calorie meal whenever I feel a bit peckish B)
  • Yoolypr
    The adverts for gyms, exercise equipment, diet food plans and low cal groceries are out in full force. While I know none of this will last or lead to long term weight loss, I find them to be helpful. Can’t escape the reminders to do better this time of year!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Thank you Bella….I saw this, too and found up it interesting…a binge for me is not 1000 calories….it is more likely 10, 000…. I like the riding the wave concept….
  • Yoolypr
    Having anxiety eating. Waiting on son’s covid test results is making me look for comfort. He’s not very ill - vaccinated, boostered- but still not well. Hubby and I are both over 70 and spent many hours with son in close contact. Are we asymptomatic? Do I need to cancel appointments, isolate??? Maybe he just has a cold? Argghhh!
    Anxiety is usually my trigger to eat everything. Hope the test results come soon although may take up to 3 days! No food is safe right now.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Take it as easy as you can @Yoolypr

If you're super concerned about who you're meeting you could cancel appointments and limit yourself a little bit as a courtesy and within reason.

Regardless of WHAT type of cold (other, or COVID, or flu) your son does have *something* and you have been exposed to it. So your chance of having *something* show up over the next five days is not zero and of course people are at highest contagion before and at symptom onset not just for COVID but for other coronaviruses and the flu too.

Having said that. He is not well but not very ill. That should be a tiny bit of comfort.

I hope you continue in good health! Maybe use the energy you have to cook some chicken soup?!?!?! ((((HUGZ)))) <-- but socially distanced! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Thank you PAV! I’ve always been a worrier which accounts for massive comfort eating in the past.
    No test results yet. Son is not feeling well but no worse. He’s had all possible vaccinations and flu shots, as we have, so the possibility is breakthrough virus, flu or a cold. The outlier is allergies which are high right now in our area. I know northerners don’t think of winter as allergy season but we have something every month. It’s trees and cedars currently.
    I’ve cancelled all appointments and contacts for the week. Like everyone else in the world, I’m tired of being worried and wary.
  • PAV8888
    I admit to not even remotely thinking of allergies while it is pouring buckets of visible chunks of water! :blush:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Allergies in Florida are bad, too….my eyes have been itchy a couple of days!
  • lauriekallis
    edited January 2022
    Bella - that was a great post you shared. Thank you. So many things she noted resonated with me. I copied this one:
    You will never always be motivated, so you must learn to always be disciplined.
    Because I know that is something I need to take note of. I'm terribly undisciplined - which isn't usually a problem because I am usually very highly motivated and that gets me through. But every once and a while motivation fails me.
    PATIENCE ???!!!!! What's that?
    So many things to consider/try/be aware of.

Allergies :o one good thing about our winter - pretty well none for a few months at least (except Christmas trees :) )

Yooly - hope you get the results soon, and your son's test comes back negative, then you can all relax again - for a little bit anyway.
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2022
    I want to wake up on January 1, 2023 without thinking about how much weight I still need to lose. I know I’ll have to keep daily tracking in maintenance. However that feeling of failing yet again would be gone. So this is the year I get it done.
  • Yoolypr
    I was pondering the human experience of two + years of mask wearing. It’s well documented that people interact socially based on facial expression- even micro expressions. Has the inability to fully see each other’s faces created some of the anger, social disfunction and downright violence? Are we not SEEING each other or not perceiving each other’s humanity? Even dogs and cats react to their human’s face. What will become of the children whose school and social experiences have removed facial/emotional cues? I surely miss living in an unmasked world.
  • lauriekallis
    Me too, Yooly. I'm rather astonished at how accustomed I've become to masks - and really how expressive faces are from the mask upward.
  • lauriekallis
    But maybe that is just an illusion to help me cope?
  • PAV8888
    I am very surprised as to how come clear masks have not become the rule rather than the exception