Coronavirus prep

Replies

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    My husband and I have been spared so far, as far as I know. Whether that will last, I have no idea. If getting Omicron leads to better immunity, I wouldn't mind, since we've both been boosted. But we won't do anything stupid to get exposed.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member
    edited January 2022
    I know people who IMO live pretty well bubbled that have gotten it. I did watch a video yesterday by that "Dr. John Campbell" that gives me hope that maybe society will benefit by Omicron going through the population by potentially providing immunity to other variants like Delta. The video I watched was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYLbJ0H8zdc
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Thats what happened to me on Christmas @COGypsy

I've been in bed since and have lost most appetite and have been so tired. I'm also double vaxxed and not scheduled to have a booster until Feb after 6 months.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    My husband and I have been spared so far, as far as I know. Whether that will last, I have no idea. If getting Omicron leads to better immunity, I wouldn't mind, since we've both been boosted. But we won't do anything stupid to get exposed.

Be careful what you wish for. I got a "mild breakthrough" case of COVID that laid me out flat for about five weeks. I lost my sense of taste and smell on 10/24 and the first week of December was the first week after that where I didn't need a daily 1-2 hour nap just to function. Taste is mostly back and smell is maybe 50%. I was double vaxxed, and had scheduled, but not yet received my booster shot. This was absolutely the sickest I ever remember being as an adult.

I know most people don't get this sick from breakthrough cases, but I'm 47 and healthy, no co-morbidities or risk factors. I rarely go out and take precautions when I do. I did eat indoors at a restaurant about 2 weeks before I got sick. Statistically iffy for the incubation period, but the only thing I can come up with.

I've figured all along I'd get COVID eventually and just deal with it because I'm vaccinated and so it would just be inconvenient, pretty much. I was very, very wrong.

This is an example of why I'm still very cautious even after being boosted. I'm also older with co-morbidities so I wouldn't be surprised to discover I would be part of the small percentage that is protected and ends up hospitalized anyway.

Last week my parents visited their great-grandchildren even though we're in a surge. I told them I'm marking 10 days on the calendar that I will be isolating from them.
  • SModa61
    @COGypsy @Chef_Barbell I wonder if you both contracted the Delta variant given the extent of your symptoms.
  • Chef_Barbell
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @COGypsy @Chef_Barbell I wonder if you both contracted the Delta variant given the extent of your symptoms.

Could be but since I live in NYC, the dominant strain and what's going around is Omicron.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    It is starting to feel like I am in the minority for NOT having contracted Covid for the past 2 years... I wonder what the stats are going to look like for the US after this current Omicron wave goes past - even without the home test positives not being in the data most likely.

I imagine the stats are much, much higher. I had it (fully vaxxed) and other family members had it and we did not report it just stayed home and got through it.

what do you mean you didnt report it?

Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited January 2022

Don't you have to report positive RATS tests and/or follow up with official PCR test?

Here in Ontario, public health testing is becoming overwhelmed and the latest guideline restricts eligibility for PCR tests. Contact tracing and testing is out the window at this point. So, no, a positive rapid antigen test will not be followed up with a PCR for the majority of people.

I haven't seen or heard of any requirement to report rapid test results, unless there is something to that effect in whatever literature accompanies the test itself (I've never seen one).

eta I have no idea where Sarah7591 resides, just reporting the current state of testing here
  • SModa61

genuine question - we certainly have to do that here in Aust but I understand rules in different countries are different.
    If you dont have to do so or people are not, even though they are meant to - then yes, your official stats will clearly be under what is actually happening

In the US, I am not aware of any public requirement to report a positive finding from a home COVID test kit. If I were to test positive, I would contact anyone I felt might have been exposed so they are informed, and if I developed sufficient symptoms, I would reach out to my physician.

D has told me of three friends who contracted it (a friend, fiancee and sister cluster). All three took home kits with positive results. Only one followed up with a PCR confirmation because her "pink line" was very faint and did not believe she was positive. I am not aware of any of them reporting and they are all essentially asymptomatic (don't recall why the first of them even took the test).

And Yes, PaperPudding, IMO the totals are very under-reported because of all the home testing.
  • Chef_Barbell

I didn't have to report my positive results but I did get a call from the test and trace corps. They keep track of positive cases here in NYC. But that's only because I got tested at a NYC site. Home testing has no requirements to report. But there aren't many home tests available in stores here.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member

I didn't have to report my positive results but I did get a call from the test and trace corps. They keep track of positive cases here in NYC. But that's only because I got tested at a NYC site. Home testing has no requirements to report. But there aren't many home tests available in stores here.

Did they tell you to retest after symptoms resolved? I tested at a county site and when I spoke to the person from the health department, they specifically told me I didn't need to test again for 6 months--including for things like surgery. That was a bit of a surprise. The old guidance was that you needed 2 negative follow up tests to confirm you were over the infection.
  • Chef_Barbell
    COGypsy wrote: »

Did they tell you to retest after symptoms resolved? I tested at a county site and when I spoke to the person from the health department, they specifically told me I didn't need to test again for 6 months--including for things like surgery. That was a bit of a surprise. The old guidance was that you needed 2 negative follow up tests to confirm you were over the infection.

T&T didn't tell me to retest after quarantine. My job which pays separate covid pay said specifically I didn't need to be retested to come back to work. It is strange but I guess they are considering the lack of testing available right now.