Trying Again

I've now turned 66 and officially retired. I have tried to keep to my 1100 calories a day.
To give you an idea of my diet, my day starts with water, 2 slices of white bread and a microwaved egg (faster than hard boiling) Then it's lunch, a bread roll with either cheese or ham. Evening meal is usually mashed baked potato, veg and grilled fish or meat, supper is a slice toast shared with the dogs, roughly 4 mugs of black tea throughout the day.
At first I could take the dogs out daily for a bit of exercise, but my condition has worsened leaving me basically chair bound all day.
I noticed I was not losing weight anymore, but today I found the scales and 'shock horror' my weight has gone back up to 111.2kg. (17.5 stone). I've gained over 20kg.
HELP
I looked into the premium mfp, but honestly I couldn't see any difference to what I am using.
Any advice welcomed.

Replies

• hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Are you weighing your food? Do you know your maintance calories? I am 18.5 stone and for me I can lose weight eating closer to 2000 cal, which is more sustainable than 1100. Feel free to add me.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Why on earth have you given yourself a goal of only 1100 calories a day?
    I'm a 62kg woman and I'm eating WAY more than you.

On the other hand, are you weighing your food and making sure you're using accurate database entries?

The timeline of your loss and regain, and your calorie intake over that period isn't very clear. If you've gained 20kg while eating 1100 calories, something is definitely very wrong: either underestimating your calorie intake by a lot, or some undiagnosed health issue and/or perhaps a large amount of water retention.
  • BobWillers
    BobWillers Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks for the replies...The 1100 calories was set when I was assessed by a health professional at"OnelifeSuffolk" about three years ago, it's a local government run health system with once a month weigh ins and blood pressure checks. I began following a heart attack after weighing in at 115kg (18 stone). I also have high BP and severe Osteoarthritis as well as inactive thyroid following radiotherapy.
    At one point I was down to 84kg where weight loss became static, then my mobility problem escalated leaving me housebound.
    I no longer weigh food as the items are always the same from the original values taken from when first added to my food database, I.e bread 1 slice 60 calories, 1 egg 63 calories 1 sausage grilled 97 calories. Cooking is by tabletop Halogen oven or Microwave, grilling rather than frying. It is evident that I shall have to start monitoring very closely again.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    I’ve been on weight loss message boards quite awhile. My #1 rule is to not contradict a medical opinion. But there is no I could live with what you’re trying to do. Is there a way to go for another opinion? Even if you go back to the same people, can you get reassessed based on where you are right now and what you’re experience has been so far.
  • BobWillers
    Thanks, I have contacted them but due to the current situation there is a long wait. I do have blood checks to monitor my meds and so far there are no problems.
    I've been on the same menus for three years, I find that as I don't expend a lot of energy, I don't feel the need to eat much more and don't snack in between.
  • BobWillers
    Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into that.
    The Onelife team have been in touch and will also be helping so hopefully I can make progress.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    BobWillers wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into that.
    The Onelife team have been in touch and will also be helping so hopefully I can make progress.

Wishing you luck Bob on shedding the weight. You said you are chair bound, there are exercises that can still be done even in your chair... Google is your friend 😁
    Also, if you enjoy eating the foods you do, then don't stop.. .. it may just be a matter of using the scales again and maybe finding a few exercises to do in your chair to get some movement in... 1100 calories is pretty low , I hope you can have this reassessed and add more cals.
    Losing weight doesn't have to be a misery or about depriving yourself of the things you love. Moderation is key.
    Good luck Bob 🙂
  • BobWillers
    Thanks jo
    To be honest, I'm not too bothered about food, it's just a necessity, you'd never catch me dining out that's for sure ;)
    Yesterday I resurrected the scales and weighed everything. I think I have calculated correctly (MFP sheet below)
    Looks like I am in calorific credit :)
    I still have the rubber resistance band the heart people gave me somewhere, (Hurts like hell if you let one end go) I'll have to fish that out.

Here's the sheet
    Breakfast
    Egg, 1 medium 63
    bread - 1 slice , 1 slice 60

Dinner
    Veg-carrot - Carrot, 0.5 carrot 8
    Mushroom - Mushroom Cooked, 6 Slices 12
    Onion, 1.5 oz 17
    Asda - Chopped Tomato, 100 g 25
    Coop Spaghetti - Spaghetti, 1.3 g 5
    My Own - minced beef, 1 serving 2.9oz cooked 102
    Peas - Frozen, 49 gm 39

Snacks
    Coffee With Milk, 2 cup 66 6 2 5 71 0
    Crawfords - Shorties Biscuits, 2 biscuit 70 13 4 1 180 5
    Generic - Hot Tea, No Milk, No Sugar, 1 cup 0 0 0 0 0 0
    bread - 1 slice , 1 slice 60 12 1 2 0 0
    Farmers cheese - Cheese, 1 slice 100 0 8 7 160 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 296 31 15 15 411 5

Totals 627
    Your Daily Goal 1,100
    Remaining 473

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    edited January 2022
    It's not so easy to read that way (I'm presuming the first number after the quantity is the number of calories), but here's some things that come to mind:
    - egg medium: I would recommend weighing your egg, since 'medium' isn't very precise.
    - bread 1 slice: a generic entry like that is not a good idea (calories vary according to the type of bread). Use an entry for the brand you eat or (if it's from a bakery that doesn't have nutritional info) use an entry for a similar bread by a well-known brand. Also: 1 slice is not an accurate way to log food, the weight of 1 slice of bread can vary enormously, so you should weight your bread
    - spaghetti: you only ate 1.3 grams of spaghetti? Seems unlikely?
    - coffee with milk: another generic entry. You would be better off weighing and logging your milk separately.
    - Crawford's shorties biscuits: 70 calories sounds quite low. Have you checked against the label on the package? The entry here is 51 calories per biscuit: https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/crawfords-shorties#
    - farmers cheese 1 slice: sounds like a generic entry (not a specific brand?) and also '1 slice' is vague and can vary. It would be better to weigh your cheese.

This isn't to be negative, just to give you an idea that you might not be estimating your calorie intake very precisely at the moment.
  • BobWillers
    edited January 2022
    Thanks, you are correct,
    sorry, typo it was 1.3 ounces spaghetti which should have been 35cal (verified)
    bread is 45g a slice =158 (verified)
    I'd put 2 for the value of 1 biscuit, it was a cheap brand, smaller biscuits, the packet says 64 cal per biscuit.(verified)
    Cheese is pre sliced 1oz slice farmers =104 cal (verified)
    The amount of skimmed milk in the rare cups of coffee (usually black tea) is 32cal per cup
    Egg is correct +/- (I weighed them in their shells, all weigh the same within a microgame)
    Everything else is correct.
    This means I was out by 288 calories
    Total for the day is now 917 calories leaving my credit at 183.
    My database is now amended :)
  • slimgirljo15
    Thanks jo
    To be honest, I'm not too bothered about food, it's just a necessity, you'd never catch me dining out that's for sure ;)
    Yesterday I resurrected the scales and weighed everything. I think I have calculated correctly (MFP sheet below)
    Looks like I am in calorific credit :)
    I still have the rubber resistance band the heart people gave me somewhere, (Hurts like hell if you let one end go) I'll have to fish that out.

Here's the sheet
    Breakfast
    Egg, 1 medium 63
    bread - 1 slice , 1 slice 60

Dinner
    Veg-carrot - Carrot, 0.5 carrot 8
    Mushroom - Mushroom Cooked, 6 Slices 12
    Onion, 1.5 oz 17
    Asda - Chopped Tomato, 100 g 25
    Coop Spaghetti - Spaghetti, 1.3 g 5
    My Own - minced beef, 1 serving 2.9oz cooked 102
    Peas - Frozen, 49 gm 39

Snacks
    Coffee With Milk, 2 cup 66 6 2 5 71 0
    Crawfords - Shorties Biscuits, 2 biscuit 70 13 4 1 180 5
    Generic - Hot Tea, No Milk, No Sugar, 1 cup 0 0 0 0 0 0
    bread - 1 slice , 1 slice 60 12 1 2 0 0
    Farmers cheese - Cheese, 1 slice 100 0 8 7 160 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 296 31 15 15 411 5

Totals 627
    Your Daily Goal 1,100
    Remaining 473

Thats a great idea digging out the resistance bands 😃

And way to go above.. it is easy to eat more than you think. Looks like you're heading in the right direction Bob. 🙂
  • BobWillers
    edited January 2022
    I must be doing something right at last.
    Weight on Jan 7th 111.2kg
    Weight on Jan 11th 107.9kg
    31kg to go.
  • BobWillers
    5 days on and my weight is 108.3kg yet doing the same thing. What a weird body I have.
  • slimgirljo15
    5 days on and my weight is 108.3kg yet doing the same thing. What a weird body I have.

Fluctuations are normal Bob.. could be 400gms could be fluid, could be any number of things.. not always fat gain. Be patient and keep at it.. you're doing great 🙂
  • BobWillers
    Thanks Jo,
  • slimgirljo15
    Thanks Jo,

So, how are you doing Bob? 🙂
  • BobWillers
    edited February 2022
    Down to 106kg today...slow progress. :)