Shape Shifters Team Chat JANUARY 2022

Replies

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous Weight-162.9
    Current Weight-164.4

Today is day 1 of our biggest loser challenge at work, time to get back in gear. I worked out yesterday, Tried to today, but with a high of -6 F, I was not in a hurry to head outside, so I did some squats and deadlifts and lunges, but I was just not feeling it this morning.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,778 Member
    1/3-9,870
    1/4-9,671
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 341 Member
    CasandraW wrote: »
    Last year I completed my Apple Watch Monthly goal every month for the entire year. I hope to do the same this year. I have to burn 721 calories per day through movement/exercise for the month of January. I think this will be a tough one, I'm dealing with an arthritic flare up in my knee right now.

Does anyone have any tips for Osteoarthritis flare ups? I'm currently icing, resting, and taking ibuprofen.

@CasandraW i have osteoarthritis in both knees, with my right knee giving me the most trouble. Specific to a flare-up, do you happen to have a percussion gun? Sometimes my knee feels like it’s a bit off-track, and working with the gun can release knots and tense spots. A good one is not cheap, but then neither is physical therapy. I have a Hyperice and hands down, it’s been the best investment in my knee health. It’s worth every penny!

I used celebrex when I first had my flare-ups and it was helpful. But I’ve been working with a trainer for a couple years and I’ve been able to strengthen the muscles surrounding my knees and that has helped tremendously. Last week I tossed a whole bottle of the meds because they had expired before I needed them!

Hope you get over your flare-up quickly. I know it’s painful and frustrating.

• cre804
    Now that the new year has begun, I need to refocus and get back on track. I saw something last week that I may try. 1-2-3: one salad a day, two fruits daily and 3 bottles of water. It’s simple, specific and doable. Of course there are lots of other things I could tack on to it, but I think it’s a good goal for week one of my reset. What do you think?
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 648 Member
    STeps

Dec 29 - 4,060
    Dec 30 - 5,801
    Dec 31 - 2,935
    Jan 1 - 3,911
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 648 Member
    kcpond
    Wednesdays
    Previous Weight-248.3
    Current Weight-248.7
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited January 2022
    @coblujay could you share what you like about Apple Watch specifically? I have a Fitbit and I like it, but I’ve been considering switching to Apple Watch for a while now so I’d love to hear your thoughts on pros and cons.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    @coblujay could you share what you like about Apple Watch specifically? I have a Fitbit and I like it, but I’ve been considering switching to Apple Watch for a while now so I’d love to hear your thoughts on pros and cons.

I would like to know this, too. I’ve had a fitbit for years but considering the change.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,009 Member
    coblujay wrote: »
    @coblujay

I've lost 63.1 pounds since May of 2021.

What has worked for me:
    1. Logging
    2. Weighing and reporting every day.
    3. Looking back and seeing that overall, my weight is coming down
    4. Reading all the incredible nuggets in the MFP communities.
    5. Asking for help.
    6. Finding exercise that I like.
    7. Getting a great fitness tracker.
    8. I have one indulgence meal a week.

If I can do this, you can too. I've weighed around 250# for the last 20+ years and had really given up. My doctor suggested I consider weight loss surgery in April of 2021 and that sent me back here where I jumped in with both feet. So thankful for a doctor that is honest with me. He is going to be really surprised when I see him in a few months.

Wow @coblujay Thank you for sharing your story, your thoughts, your goals and inspirations!! CONGRATS on your 63.1 lb loss!! I bet your doctor will be thrilled...at my last appointment, mine told me I had lost 25% of my weight...something I hadn't even realized...made my day. I thought she'd be upset that I hadn't lost more during the year I hadn't seen her, but with all the COVID loss, deaths and things I had to deal with during that year, I told her that eating my feelings was a great triumph. She understood and was nothing but positive. I'm not longer dealing with the swelling issues I had the previous years and that's allowed me to do all this walking, aerobics vids, etc. Made a BIG different in my outlook, prognosis and plans for the future. I'm sure you can tell, I'm more than a little psyched about this year because this is the year, I will leave the 300s for good...and I'm hoping it will be the year that I see 250 lbs for the first time since high school (I'm 55).

Wow, learning to swim has changed everything for you...sounds like you use it for exercise (of course), relaxation, reflection and a lot of different reasons...that's awesome. I too love the water, but I hurt myself a few years ago getting out of the pool and now it will be awhile before I'm ready to try again, but walking has been my savior this past year. I'm walking a 5k on Jan 28th in honor of my mother (she passed in 2011). I know she'll be proud to look down and see that.

Love that you're a planner like me...I do the once a week indulgence meal too...you're right...gives you something to look forward to...for me, it's usually either pizza or Chinese food.

I've decided I'm gonna be more like you when I grow up! :smile:
    Thanks for sharing...we got this gal!!

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    cre804 wrote: »
    Now that the new year has begun, I need to refocus and get back on track. I saw something last week that I may try. 1-2-3: one salad a day, two fruits daily and 3 bottles of water. It’s simple, specific and doable. Of course there are lots of other things I could tack on to it, but I think it’s a good goal for week one of my reset. What do you think?

@cre804 Sounds great!!! I may have to do a week of that and see what happens...thanks for the reference. Did you find it on a website or in an article you could share? I'd love to read more behind it. If you haven't discovered it...look up zero calorie/zero sugar salad dressings made by Walden Farms...they're amazing and some stores will ship to you. I shop at Kroger, but look on their site and find a place where you can order/purchase. I love the Bacon Ranch and the Thousand Island, but they have everything...they make other products too...
    Jessica
  • KittyInBoots17
    KittyInBoots17 Posts: 213 Member
    Weigh In Wednesday

KittyInBoots17:
    PW: 232.0
    CW: 235.6

It is a gain, but I will tell you guys I am relieved as heck!!!!!! I REALLY thought I'd be like, 242 or something. I don't understand and I was shocked and weighed in three times to make sure. I will take it. Restarting for the new year!!!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Fitness action of the day: pushing the stroller in heavy resistance snow to run errands, and dancing while cleaning. We had some snowfall in the morning and pedestrian roads weren’t plowed yet, so pushing the stroller through all the mush was a challenge, even though it was gorgeously sunny when I was out. Pictures of the weather and what my stroller wheels looked like in the spoiler.

Home improvement action of the day: plenty of cleaning. We have dinner guests tomorrow and our home is a mess, so lots of cleaning needed to happen and still needs to happen tomorrow.

Baby got her vaccinations today and was screaming bloody murder all night, so we made a deal: one gets to sit comfortably while soothing the screaming baby, one has to stay up and clean, but can put noise-canceling headphones on and blast some music. Husband chose, I got some extra dance moves while cleaning. As a result I was on my feet for most of the day, and I can definitely feel it. Fitbit is stating 3300 calories burned today, and it’s usually right. On top of that come the 800ish calories I pumped out in breastmilk today, so yeah, I don’t feel bad about enjoying some extra snacks tonight.
    m28ftizw4urn.jpeg
    1qlodqpmywed.jpeg
  • cre804
    cre804 wrote: »

@cre804 Sounds great!!! I may have to do a week of that and see what happens...thanks for the reference. Did you find it on a website or in an article you could share? I'd love to read more behind it. If you haven't discovered it...look up zero calorie/zero sugar salad dressings made by Walden Farms...they're amazing and some stores will ship to you. I shop at Kroger, but look on their site and find a place where you can order/purchase. I love the Bacon Ranch and the Thousand Island, but they have everything...they make other products too...
    Jessica

It was posted by someone I follow on Instagram. If I can figure out how to share the link I will.

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Hi team!!!

Hope everyone is well. @hipari love the snow pic. Southern girl here - just let me look at it from far away 🤣

Today has been a great day at work. My steps are low, but still feeling covid drained so not worried just yet.

Little appetite still. I told a friend today that I wish my appetite was like this all the time. I feel like this is how normal people feel. You eat when you are hungry and not other times. Not like me who will chew the corners off the house to get to the soft sweet filling. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

I renewed my ATLANTA TRACK CLUB membership yesterday. This will allow me to run the PEACHTREE ROADRACE again on 7/4. I have a new running buddy and we are developing our training strategy.
    Im quite excited. I will put prior years pics in a spoiler :)

I weigh the exact same today as in 2021. Goal is to be 22 lbs less for 2022!!!
    rdy0ytqxd25o.jpeg
    2018 207 lbs
    2019 220 lbs
    2020 172 lbs
    2ff3vabimon1.jpeg
    2021 -187 lbs
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 882 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    Fitness action of the day: pushing the stroller in heavy resistance snow to run errands, and dancing while cleaning. We had some snowfall in the morning and pedestrian roads weren’t plowed yet, so pushing the stroller through all the mush was a challenge, even though it was gorgeously sunny when I was out. Pictures of the weather and what my stroller wheels looked like in the spoiler.

Home improvement action of the day: plenty of cleaning. We have dinner guests tomorrow and our home is a mess, so lots of cleaning needed to happen and still needs to happen tomorrow.

Baby got her vaccinations today and was screaming bloody murder all night, so we made a deal: one gets to sit comfortably while soothing the screaming baby, one has to stay up and clean, but can put noise-canceling headphones on and blast some music. Husband chose, I got some extra dance moves while cleaning. As a result I was on my feet for most of the day, and I can definitely feel it. Fitbit is stating 3300 calories burned today, and it’s usually right. On top of that come the 800ish calories I pumped out in breastmilk today, so yeah, I don’t feel bad about enjoying some extra snacks tonight.
    m28ftizw4urn.jpeg
    1qlodqpmywed.jpeg

@hipari it looks beautiful but I bet it was hard pushing a buggy through slushy snow.Hope your daughter has a better night & you & your husband.Good calorie loss though !!
  • Fattleass
    Fattleass Posts: 223 Member

User id Fattleass
    (Day of Week) Weigh-in Wednesday
    PW: 204 lbs. (previous weight) 299.8
    CW: 202 lbs. (current weight) 192.0
    LTD: 12 lbs. (optional loss to date) 106.8

hello have a great day my awesome team
  • izzyred9400
    izzyred9400 Posts: 882 Member
    @LaurieWrobo I feel for you in your situation & hope you & your family get through it in the best way you can.❤
    @coblujay thank you for your account of your journey.It gave me hope & encouragement to carry on & some good tips too.
    @Beka365 thank you for your honesty & great attitude to your journey.It is easy to fall into bad habits ( I can easily get into drinking too many glasses of wine instead of sticking to one !)You are an inspiration .
    Enjoyed catching up on everyone's introductions.Nice to know you all.I'm finding it difficult as still lots of Christmas goodies in the house.I have managed to drink more water & I started the New Year New Start challenge on MFP to up my protein.
  • jessicakrall8
    @Beka3695 Your story is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing! Congrats on everything!

@Fattleass Congrats on your loss this week! You're doing well...how are you feeling?

@hipari Lovely scenic picture...I'm with Beka as a southern girl...only want to watch it through a window, like a Hallmark card! LOL I did my time in Minnesota (6 yrs) so been through it and glad I learned to drive in it, but that was enough for me! Bet that was hard to push in all the snow...those wheels were pretty packed! Extra exercise points for sure!!

Jessica
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    @Beka3695 and @hipari

I think most of the fitness trackers do the same things these days. The Garmin I was using was the cheap $99 model. The Apple Watch was around $500. I love that it tracks my swimming and love the ring challenges. I do have the heart rate and oxygen monitors on this watch, which I do check occasionally. It's way more comfortable than my Garmin and I love the variety of available watch bands. It seems like a little thing, but I like that the strap tucks under against my wrist and doesn't flop all over. What I don't like is that the battery life is poor. I used to wear my Garmin around the clock for 4-5 days before I'd need to recharge. I have to take my Apple watch off and charge it every night, which means I don't track my sleep and resting overnight heart rate, which I would love to know.

I can look at my time splits as I hike and swim and can see the small, but steady improvement. When I feel like I'm not getting anywhere, it shows me differently.

So, I'd say identify your priorities and find a tracker that is good in those areas.

@jessicakrall8

You got this, Jessica! We'll be celebrating with you every step of the way. Bravo on your upcoming 5k! Your mom would be so proud of you!!

2022 is going to be an amazing year for all of us!!

Jennifer
This discussion has been closed.