How do you stay accountable?

2»

Replies

• dontlikepeople
    dontlikepeople Posts: 132 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Personally, I'd say it's more that the multi-billion-dollar diet industry works very hard to convince us that it's hard, that it takes special "hacks", secrets or products that only they can sell us, in order to keep us from finding out how basic and straightforward it really is for those of us without unusual medical complications.

Yes, it is "simple" but not always "easy". I don't know why MFPers constantly have to pretend it is. If it was so easy, obesity rates would not be what they are, and people would not be on this forum asking for help.

• GeorgiaPeach707
    GeorgiaPeach707 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you all for your comments! I didn’t think I would get so many! You all have wonderful advice and suggestions. I am definitely an emotional eater and have the all or nothing mentality that throws me off. I really like the idea of slowly changing my habits and way of thinking to be healthier in the long run. I do try to log my food everyday but I don’t measure things like meat or veggies I just estimate. I want to get a food scale soon so I can measure
  • AmyE26
    AmyE26 Posts: 43 Member
    I log on every day, and I log everything I eat even if I've gone over (sometimes by a lot) this helps me because if I don't do it, I don't lose weight and just think it's not working.. but if I've logged it all I can look back and see why I didn't lose weight that week. It also helps me by looking back at weeks I've lost quite a lot of weight and see what I've eaten that week.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    When I started I knew that I had to make some permanent changes for my health (had at least 50 lbs to lose to get in the overweight BMI category). had been tracking my food and knew I was eating too much and enjoying my wine too much and too often. I decided that I was not going to go on a diet (they didn't work long term). instead I was going to make some small sustainable changes that I could live with for life.

At 5'8" (61 years old) I set my daily calorie goal at 2,000 knowing that was about 500/day less than I'd been eating and committed to staying at that goal, skipping the wine during the week, tracking all my food, making one small change each week, and finding times to move more. The first change I made was to start bringing my own sandwich to work and buying reduced fat chips....probably saved me about 200 - 300 calories/day. Stopping the wine saved calories too.

I accepted that this was for life so there was no hurry. Nothing was really off limits and I'd have about a 1/3 or 1/2 of the French Fries every week or so. I parked my car far from the office and walked around the building. Started taking a 10 minute walk after lunch cutting the time sitting with my work pals a bit.

Dropped the potato chips from lunch and started bringing a salad or soup to go with my sandwich. Made dinner at home most nights.

the weight came off slowly and there were times when I hit a plateau and someone suggested I look at that as practice for maintenance. I bought a pedometer and started really walking more (after about 4 months).

Maybe it was my age, maybe it was years of going on and off diets...I don't know but this time it just wasn't as hard. I wasn't as hard on myself if I went overboard at a party or over the weekend. Knew that I could adjust and one meal or even a few didn't need to derail me.

After losing about 50 lbs I started gradually increasing my calories; my walking was more intense and longer so I kept losing. then I had a heart attack - fortunately not serious but that was the wake up call to get the rest of the weight off. Started cardiac rehab and have been a committed exerciser since then ended up dropping about 35 more lbs which I've kept off over 8 years.

I still track every day everything thing I eat. Exercise is non negotiable so I do something every day. Have changed the way I eat and love the more plant based approach. Feel great!

You can do this... slow and steady and be in it for the long haul.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thank you all for your comments! I didn’t think I would get so many! You all have wonderful advice and suggestions. I am definitely an emotional eater and have the all or nothing mentality that throws me off. I really like the idea of slowly changing my habits and way of thinking to be healthier in the long run. I do try to log my food everyday but I don’t measure things like meat or veggies I just estimate. I want to get a food scale soon so I can measure

IMO, this is one of the biggest hurdles to not only losing weight or maintaining weight, but to understanding overall nutrition in a broader scope, big picture kind of way. Indulgences here and there are pretty immaterial to both weight management as well as one's overall nutrition. People have different strategies for managing this, but I've never seen "all or nothing" lead to any kind of long lasting success with either weight management or overall nutrition.
  • Deyga
    Deyga Posts: 2 Member
    I joined Overeaters Anonymous.
  • cathyhains
    cathyhains Posts: 2 Member
    A registered dietitian is perfect for that! And many take popular insurance plans too!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    I made post its and put them on my mirror. Simple things like one penny per meal, 2 smoothies a week, walk 10,000 steps, read i like it bc before I go to bed, it holds e responsible. When I reach a goal I switch it with another goal. I tell you though the key was making them small at first. To feel accomplished.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!