The official nightshift thread....

1610611612613614616»

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Yikes, poor pup! Sounds like he was lucky. Accidental, I hope and not on purpose.
    I got my money back from the trip yesterday, so I've got a big credit on my Visa card I can use now. Yaay!
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,186 Member
    It wasn’t accidental but it’s complicated. The dog lives in a house next to a ranch. The owner of the dog don’t always go out with the dog when he lets the dog out to potty. The dog was out barking at the cattle and the rancher shot it. In all fairness, if you live next to livestock, you need to not let your dog go off your property until you’ve gotten to know the rancher well enough he recognizes your dog and knows it won’t do anything. It is becoming more common as people from the city decide to move out to the country and they don’t understand the law is on the ranchers side here. If your dog goes onto his property and harasses the livestock, he can legally shoot it. It’s just unfortunate that neither the rancher nor the dog owner wanted to spend enough time to get to know their neighbor so that it wasn’t necessary to shoot the dog.
  • sufferlandrian
    It's been an eventful few weeks. Got covid, so did the other vet. We had to shut down the emergency clinic for the first time since it opened 14 years ago. Now we are battling staff that are getting infected at the rate of two a week, one of them twice. I've only got 19 staff so it hurts when two are gone. At least the Omicrom doesn't keep you down like the other strains.
  • canadjineh
    True... until it does. All the hospitals are full, and people aren't admitted into the hospitals unless they are quite ill. Hoping you get through this relatively unscathed.
  • sufferlandrian
    I hate change and we just switched patient monitoring programs. To make it worse, it’s not working as advertised. Is it too late to quit?
  • sufferlandrian
    Ever have one of those weeks when you want to quit your job? Between clients and staff I'm ready to close the clinic and go work relief work. It would put 19 people out of a job but I'm reaching that point where I can't stand being here anymore. With four autistic kids at home and a mother who protects them to a fault, I can't stand being home either. I love my wife dearly and she has stood by me through all the struggles of getting this clinic going. However, I'm really to the point where placating the younger vet and placating the kids at home is really getting to me. Maybe as a relief vet, traveling would give me a break. I hate to shut down the clinic I've worked 14 years to keep going. However, I get so short with people these days and I have no patience for pets either. It's not the pets fault, it's the owners fault. It's just really hard to deal with pets that really want to bite you and owners who somehow think we have super powers to calm dogs with no training or social skills.
  • canadjineh
    Ahh, @sufferlandrian I'm sorry to hear you are going thru a really rough patch right now. These stressors can pile up until they get to a tipping point, that's for sure. I haven't seen any lovely outdoor pictures lately, maybe you need to escape a bit via that route? Or maybe the option of talking with a health professional about your stresses can clarify a plan to ease them somehow.
    I'm sending you a virtual hug, along with puppy wiggles and kitty purring.
  • sufferlandrian
    -4 degrees F and snow squalls. 😊
  • sufferlandrian
    I’m not sure why but there is something satisfying about passing a stomach tube on a bloat dog and hearing all the gas escape. 😊
  • canadjineh
    HAHAHAHA! Just like a guy....nothing like a fart joke! :D
  • sufferlandrian
    LOL. I can't believe how warm it's been. We hit 50 degrees yesterday.
  • sufferlandrian
    It's been a long run on the night shift blog. It looks like I'm the last man standing so I guess it's time to call it quits. Catch you guys on the flip side.
  • canadjineh
    Well, if you still check things out here, @sufferlandrian - I'm wishing you all the best in work/family/life balance. Enjoy the outdoors and take a deep breath!
    I am no longer night shifting and have three jobs to choose from this coming week. Wish me luck picking the right one for MY work/life balance.
    Aloha as I sign off after my trip to Hawaii.