Air Fryer

Replies

• Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    What’s your favorite thing to make in your Air Fryer?? Finally using ours but only for the kids lunches so far.

Everything! Love it all
    Kudos for keeping the Skins name!!!!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Just discovered from a girlfriend you can make dutch ollie bollen (dutch doughnuts traditionally served on NYE and translated directly as oil balls) in the air fryer. Make the yeast doughnut batter as normal, brush silicon muffin forms with vegetable oil, fill, spray oil on the tops and bake at 200C until brown.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    squash fries, chicken, beef burgers, steak spring rolls fries, anything you can cook on or with a stove we use the air fryer for.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    i am bringing this thread back bc i bought an airfyer and wow i should have done this ages ago! anything make something good lately?? i am about the pumpkin and potato fries as well as throwing in my frozen veg to make them crunch!!
  • acpgee
    These salads at the end of the article with grains toasted in the air fryer are very good.
    https://tastecooking.com/best-thing-make-air-fryer-isnt-fried/
    I bought the slotted flat pan attachment for my air fryer for delicate items like fish fillets that are difficult to remove from the basket without breaking them. This lasagne feeds 3 or 4 and was made in the air fryer in a small casserole dish that fits on top of the pan attachment.
    3j9sjfpyvdgj.jpeg

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Frozen Brussel sprouts, toss them in (season them if you wish) and roast them at the French fry setting. You could spray them with a bit of oil if they aren’t getting crispy but I don’t usually need to. Almost any type of frozen veggie works this way but you need to watch the cook time depending on size.

Raw potatoes diced larger or wedged for fries. Can use an Apple wedger to make this really easy, then slice the center core into discs.

I use perforated parchment paper (buy on Amazon sized for your airfryer) for salmon filets and other things that might be hard to remove or clean up.
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    These salads at the end of the article with grains toasted in the air fryer are very good.
    https://tastecooking.com/best-thing-make-air-fryer-isnt-fried/
    I bought the slotted flat pan attachment for my air fryer for delicate items like fish fillets that are difficult to remove from the basket without breaking them. This lasagne feeds 3 or 4 and was made in the air fryer in a small casserole dish that fits on top of the pan attachment.
    3j9sjfpyvdgj.jpeg

Every time I see you post your food looks great. MFP picnic anyone? :tongue:

The price of the air fryer is worth it just for making hard boiled eggs, to be honest. No dishes!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    We don't cook anything really special in ours, but it is by far the most used appliance in our house. I'm looking for a bigger, nicer one for Christmas. We bought a cheap one a little over a year ago and it's time to upgrade. Fries, chicken tenders, bone-in pork chops. Really anything.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I put everything in mine from sandwiches to veggies.
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 98 Member
    Pork Chops!
    Salmon!
    Tilapia!

And so much more. Those are just the recipes I make over and over.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    As others have noted they do chicken wings really well. They tend to render out the fat and crisp up the skin! Pork chops are also good. I find the capacity for chips is quite limited in most models -- usually around 800g of potatoes. I have had success making celeriac chips which are quite nice.
  • bev2053
    bev2053 Posts: 2 Member
    I've had my airfryer for two weeks now and can't believe the excess fat that comes out of a whole chicken, I love doing roasted veg and it save me cleaning the big oven (:smile:)
  • 2tryharder
    2tryharder Posts: 31 Member

Try air fryer for crispy tofu. I just salt and pepper it and coat in cooking spray then toss in the air fryer. Less oil and great in stir fry, fried rice or salads.

Air fryer also makes the best salmon - crisp on the edges and moist in the center.

I use mine almost every day....stuffed chicken, homemade egg rolls, roasted vegetables.

• Caleighcrossman
    Caleighcrossman Posts: 1 Member
    I love making sweet potatoes in the air fryer! I cut them into cubes and toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  • Nickybasu
    Nickybasu Posts: 4 Member
    Just bot 1, yet to try. Very excited reading your experience. How's is this diff from grilling? Perhaps less messy?
  • chappletiffany
    chappletiffany Posts: 2 Member
    One of my favourite air fryer recipes is this.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/di-san-xian-chinese-sauteed-potato-eggplants-and-green-peppers/
    Instead of deep frying the aubergine and potatoes separately, I toss in a little oil and air fry each 10-15 minutes before assembling the dish in the stir fry sauce. I might try the same technique for other Chinese recipes which call for deep frying ingredients before stir frying in a sauce. General Tso chicken, lemon chicken, sweet and sour pork all fall in this category.

So excited to try this! I live in Harbin- like the home of disanxian! So delicious, cheap and comforting but so much oil.
    I tried guo bao rou in the air fryer before but it was a sad mess : (
  • acpgee
    One of my favourite air fryer recipes is this.
    https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/di-san-xian-chinese-sauteed-potato-eggplants-and-green-peppers/
    Instead of deep frying the aubergine and potatoes separately, I toss in a little oil and air fry each 10-15 minutes before assembling the dish in the stir fry sauce. I might try the same technique for other Chinese recipes which call for deep frying ingredients before stir frying in a sauce. General Tso chicken, lemon chicken, sweet and sour pork all fall in this category.

So excited to try this! I live in Harbin- like the home of disanxian! So delicious, cheap and comforting but so much oil.
    I tried guo bao rou in the air fryer before but it was a sad mess : (

I think for guo bao rou, which has a wet batter, I would first shallow fry the pork until the batter is dry and then finish in the air fryer.
  • acpgee
    Trying to solve the problem of how to use a wet batter in the air fryer which normally just blows off.

Attempt at reducing the fat in vegetable tempura made with sliced carrots and daikon. Batter was a heaped tablespoon each of rice flour (absorbs less fat than wheat flour, apparently, leaving a thinner crust) and potato starch (supposedly promotes brittleness) and carbonated cold water. Dipped veg in batter and hardened it in a non stick frying pan with 2 tablespoons of oil for a few seconds, drained on paper towel and finished later for 10 minutes in the air fryer. Admittedly the 2 tablespoons of oil was all absorbed by the batter.

Next time will try with a scant drizzle of oil in the non stick pan. Will also try potato starch alone (reportedly creates a crust that is too hard when deep fried), wheat starch, rice flour, corn starch, self raising flour (contains baking soda which supposedly makes tempura puff up).
    m5yrb5fkys29.jpg
  • acpgee
    Second experiment with potato starch only and a tiny drizzle of oil in a non stick pan. Batter was indeed too brittle, but amount of oil absorption was satisfactory.
    xa699n7i2j5s.jpg