Going without eating sweets and drinking soda for a 2 weeks

dragonsamurai26
dragonsamurai26 Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Starting tomorrow, I will survive two weeks without eating sweets or drinking soda at all from 1/7/22 to 1/22/22. Wish me luck.

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 190 Member
    Good luck!
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Good luck.

My husband did it for a few months about a year and a half ago and he felt great. Eventually he added some candy/desserts back in but hasn’t wanted soda at all.

• Twistarella
    Twistarella Posts: 14 Member
    I am on day 38. I use monk fruit extract or stevia for sweetening my tea or oatmeal. Best of luck to you !
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2022
    Starting tomorrow, I will survive two weeks without eating sweets or drinking soda at all from 1/7/22 to 1/22/22. Wish me luck.

Best of luck to you. This is totally doable! It may sorta detox your body. When I eat sweets sometimes once I start I cannot stop so abstinence helps me. I wish I could give up diet soda but for right now I still am having one a day.
  • dragonsamurai26
    dragonsamurai26 Posts: 23 Member
    Update: I decided to skip two days of drinking soda from 1/7/22 to 1/8/22 instead of 2 weeks and stick with not eating sweets for 2 weeks instead.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    Back in the day, when I hit a plateau on weight watchers, one of the things I changed up was going cold turkey on the diet soda and drinking water instead. I didn't really drink all that much soda in the first place but it was the only thing I drank.

It wasn't really that hard! 😀

Giving up sweets was never, and never will be, an option.

So I get the cruel deprivation aspect of it? :p
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »

Best of luck to you. This is totally doable! It may sorta detox your body. When I eat sweets sometimes once I start I cannot stop so abstinence helps me. I wish I could give up diet soda but for right now I still am having one a day.

Wow....I got 14 disagrees on my comment. I am ok with that but curious about it. This person is only giving up soda and sugar for 2 weeks. That does not seem unreasonable to me. Just 2 weeks. I would never give it up completely but two weeks is not asking a lot. Personally I think sweets are bad for you. Everything in moderation...even moderation.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Wow....I got 14 disagrees on my comment. I am ok with that but curious about it. This person is only giving up soda and sugar for 2 weeks. That does not seem unreasonable to me. Just 2 weeks. I would never give it up completely but two weeks is not asking a lot. Personally I think sweets are bad for you. Everything in moderation...even moderation.

I didn't disagree, but like others have said, the detox bit is likely why.

I sign on to what paperpudding has said here -- IMO, giving up sweets and soda for 2 weeks isn't that big a deal and for some can be a helpful way of resetting the palate or breaking some habits (such as using those foods as go-tos, vs thinking of some other options).

I see a 2 week break as potentially useful for someone who doesn't plan to (or necessarily plan to) quit entirely.

I do not agree that sweets are bad for you generally -- it depends on the amount you consume. That doesn't mean a break from them can't be useful, however, followed by a decision about how to incorporate them.