Is having a little too much protein going to hurt my diet?

I'm not very good at how every macro affects my body and I'm just wondering if someone could tell me simply if it will hurt my weight loss. MFP is saying to eat 707g of protein per week, but I would be eating 804g, is this OK or should I try to reduce it?

Replies

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Every person is different, and so are their goals. Weight loss is just calories in versus calories out. If you are eating lean, healthy protein sources, eating a little above may, I repeat, may help you lose weight faster.
    The logic: protein has less calories per gram than carbs, and it tends to keep people feeling full longer than carbs. So, for some people, high protein diets are a great way to consume less calories while still feeling full.
    Additionally, a higher protein intake is necessary for muscle development and recovery from working out.
    Without knowing things like your height, weight, whether you want to strength train, workout routine, etc, I can't say whether 804g per week is too much, but considering it's about 114g per day, I would say it's in the normal range of consumption. If you're planning on strength training, you may even want to up the amount you consume.
    That said, I am not a dietitian. I'm basing my comment off online resources and conversations with my primary care physician about weight loss and nutrition.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I've never followed MFPs macros and never had a problem losing weight, maintaining weight loss, or maintaining excellent health.

Don't overthink it, do what works for your body.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Every person is different, and so are their goals. Weight loss is just calories in versus calories out. If you are eating lean, healthy protein sources, eating a little above may, I repeat, may help you lose weight faster.
    The logic: protein has less calories per gram than carbs, and it tends to keep people feeling full longer than carbs. So, for some people, high protein diets are a great way to consume less calories while still feeling full.
    Additionally, a higher protein intake is necessary for muscle development and recovery from working out.
    Without knowing things like your height, weight, whether you want to strength train, workout routine, etc, I can't say whether 804g per week is too much, but considering it's about 114g per day, I would say it's in the normal range of consumption. If you're planning on strength training, you may even want to up the amount you consume.
    That said, I am not a dietitian. I'm basing my comment off online resources and conversations with my primary care physician about weight loss and nutrition.

Actually, protein has the same number of calories per gram as carbs do - both have 4 calories per gram. Fat is the highest at 9 calories per gram.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    In order to evaluate those amounts, it depends on out of how many total cals, and how much fat and carbs you are consuming. Generally there's nothing special about MFP's macro split, but those seem like really high numbers.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member

What someone else said: both protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram, while fats have 9 calories per gram. Also, it's not a given that protein keeps people fuller. Give me a bowl of pasta, or some potatoes and I'm in heaven. Other people love fats. It's all very individual. But no, generally more protein is not a problem - unless it's so much that you fart constantly. But... that would be substantially more than 800gr per week I'd guess :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Is this a typo? 707 grams of protein?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Per week 🙂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Per week 🙂

Ah, that makes sense...that's not really that much.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    protein has less calories per gram than carbs

That said, I am not a dietitian.

Yeah, you are absolutely NOT a dietitian. Protein and carbs both have 4 cal/gram.

Fat has 9 cal/gr and alcohol has 7 cal/gr.

• kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Yeesh. I got one fact wrong. I don't need 3 different people to correct me. One will suffice.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    MFP is saying to eat <<insert number>>g of protein per week...

The lesson here is that MFP is giving you a starting point, not a hard and fast number. (Only your personal physician can dictate a number for you.) MFP is programmed to give a good estimated starting point on all their numbers...protein, calories, sodium, etc. If you have zero clue where to start, MFP numbers are generally a decent enough place to start. As you progress through the weeks, by taking note of how things change or remain the same (weight, mood, joint pain, feelings of hunger/fullness, etc) you can begin to tweak a number here, a number there, to find what works best for YOU. Or you can conduct research, such as asking questions of this community. But as the above responses illustrate, take what we tell you with a grain of salt, as accuracy may vary, lol.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »

Per week 🙂

Oh, I missed that too. Yeah, the numbers make sense then, and no biggie going over IMO.