New to macros- eating way more fat than I realized

I'm new to the food diary and the concept of macros. And I am blown away that everyday so far (5 days) I'm averaging between 41-55% fat. Should I be concerned or change this up? Will this put me into ketosis?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Ketosis is more dependent on a low carb intake than a high fat intake, I believe.
    As for being concerned, I would personally look into a few things:
    - how much saturated fat are you consuming? That's is the kind of fat you don't want to go too high in, for health reasons (higher risk of cardiovascular disease)
    - how much protein are you consuming? Protein is important to maintain (or build) muscle mass, for example when losing weight. Your ideal intake will depend on a number of factors (your personal stats, your goals,...): the standard 20% that MFP gives is a good starting point, but possibly a bit low if your calorie goal is low too (protein intake is better looked at in absolute amount than in percentage).

Aside from that, how you divide your macros is mostly a personal choice based on how satiated you feel. Some people find it easier to stick to their calorie goal with a high fat protein intake, for example. Others find fat satiating. It's very individual.
  • TX_375
    TX_375 Posts: 15 Member
    erosewelsh wrote: »
    I'm new to the food diary and the concept of macros. And I am blown away that everyday so far (5 days) I'm averaging between 41-55% fat. Should I be concerned or change this up? Will this put me into ketosis?

No need to worry... those numbers are fine in the context of a balanced diet. Ketosis has more to do with your body burning fat as an energy source in the absence of glucose, not the presence of fat. You're good. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    edited January 2022
    When I was in weight-loss mode ( I lost 80ish pounds ) I had my macros at 45% fat, and often was over. It's a lot easier for me to cut things like wheat and sugar when I need to lose weight than it is to cut fats and still stay in calories.

I'm with Lietchi, I just watch sat fats; and even there I don't worry too much about nuts, seeds, legumes, avocado and nut or coconut oil.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I agree with the above. I tend to eat around 50% fat much of the time, especially if at a deficit, and I just focus on the source of fat -- if mostly fish, avocado, nuts and seeds, olive and olive oil, I am fine with it. You aren't going to be in ketosis at that level, but also it makes no difference whether you are in ketosis or not. If you reduce carbs significantly you may have keto flu (whether in ketosis or not) and feel like you have less energy for a while and maybe get headachey -- there are various reasons for this -- but if you aren't dropping carbs that's not something to worry about. If you start doing a lot of exercise you may want to experiment with more carbs, but that's not something to worry about changing up when losing if happy with how you are eating, IMO.

The one thing I'd look at is whether the fat is coming at the expense of sufficient protein. I tend to like around 0.8 g per healthy weight/healthy goal weight, depending, so I generally aim for at least 90 g of protein. If your protein is low, then I'd maybe think about adjusting.
  • erosewelsh
    erosewelsh Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you for all the information!! I'm definitely getting healthier fats since it's from fish, avocados, olive oil and nuts. I'll focus on getting enough protein going forward. So far I'm happy with my diet, the fats definitely help me feel full longer.