Simple Vegetarian recipes...

Graga61
Graga61 Posts: 6 Member
If you are vegetarian or vegan or neither what is your favourite go to easy recipe? mine is Brown rice with steamed veg and cheese sauce :)

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I am an omnivore but this is a favourite vegan meal. I get seitan sold in tins from the asian supermarket, where it is better known as "buddhist mock meat".
    https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    My go-to quick recipes are usually either mapo tofu, instant vegan mac n' cheeze with chopped vegan sausages, or vegan ramen noodles with tofu/vegan hot dogs and mixed veggies. I'm also really fond of chickpea salad sandwiches on toast with spicy hummus and hemp seeds.

Can you tell I'm a college student? :D
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2022
    Mine is vegan green chile stew. It takes all day to cook so start this in the morning.

- Impossible meat crumbled and cooked with Montreal steak seasoning or whatever vegan protein you like. I've used Trader Joes Beefless ground and Butler soy curls in the past those worked well too.
    - Get a large crock pot and lightly oil (avocado or olive) the the inside of the pot to help with sticking and cleaning.
    - Cube potatoes, carrots, 1 onion and some tomatoes so the pot is almost full (Place potatoes and carrots on bottom of pot this helps them cook).
    - Add in chopped New Mexico Hatch green chile or you can use Hatch red chile too (I really like Bueno Green Chile for my stew)
    - Add in your cooked protein at this point as well.
    - Add in one container of vegetable stock and some water until almost full (about 1.5 inches down from the top, don't overfill or it might boil over)
    - Cover and cook on low until contents begin to boil then season to taste with salt and pepper. Add in some olive oil if you like at this point as a finish but its not a requirement
    - If you want a thicker stew mix in corn starch a little bit at a time until it is a desired consistency. You can also let it boil uncovered to let some of the liquid boil off.
    - Stir everything and check your potatoes and if they aren't cooked through you can cook everything on the high setting for a hour but usually everything is cooked well after 8 hours or so.

We have a decent sized crock pot and this will make quite a few meals. I usually have stew with a couple warm buttered tortillas and a little vegan cheese on top but we are eating healthy this year so forgo the cheese and tortillas.

• Graga61
    Graga61 Posts: 6 Member
    that sounds very tasty :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Ezekiel tortilla with mustard, thin sliced smoked tofu, cheese (vegan cheese is OK), thin-sliced onion, heated to melt the cheese, then topped with raw sauerkraut, as a fold-over type sandwich.

Edamame/soy fettuccine with a homemade chile/peanut sauce. Sauce is chile paste, defatted peanut butter powder (or almond powder), rice vinegar mixed together (can add other seasonings, like ginger, minced garlic, chopped green onions, whatever). Mix with stir-fried or microwaved veggies (frozen is fine as a shortcut).

Tostada: Corn tortilla, heated in frying pan to soften, topped with refried beans (from a can, usually), useful veggies on hand (chopped tomatoes, peppers, onions, cooked frozen sweet corn, avocado slices, whatever), some calorie-efficient cheese, put in oven to heat through and melt cheese, then topped with a blop of plain nonfat Greek yogurt, salsa, maybe some avocado mash.

Plain tempeh, sliced into sticks, browned in frying pan with a little mushroom powder added after flipping, then thin cheese slices over that, eaten with Sriracha or ketchup (I love a good ketchup, personally, but if it's not your jam, use any hot sauce, mustard, whatever. It's OK to eat just as is, or put in a sandwich.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2022
    I love beans and rice. I make pinto beans and Spanish rice, black beans with white or cilantro rice, red beans and dirty rice, etc.

I also love a good veggie burger.

Hmmm, pasta with red sauce and tons of portobello mushrooms.

For breakfast, Shakshuka is amazing! There are amazing recipes for it on Pinterest.

Also, soup! Lentil soup, corn chowder, tortilla are some of my favorites.
  • bonnielassies
    bonnielassies Posts: 23 Member
    I try to batch cook and like quite a few recipes in the Pinch of Nom book - caribbean stew is my favourite I think, it has sweet potato, kidney beans, carrots, peppers and lots of lovely spices. Yum.

Carrot curry and veg chilli also favourites but I do need some new recipes which aren't carrot/sweet potato/chilli!

I'm going to try a tostada tonight with my chilli for a change from rice! Great ideas on here!
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 432 Member
    I'm a big fan of stir-frys: I like to do tofu with green beans and bell peppers. I take teriyaki sauce and add grated garlic and ginger, sesame oil. Make a cornstarch slurry if you want it thick.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    I love the website https://www.themediterraneandish.com
    Although it isn’t exclusively vegetarian, she has a huge selection of vegetarian dishes on it. My husband and I LOVE the Easy Greek-Style Eggplant Recipe. Her description: All-star eggplant recipe, prepared Greek style! Eggplants cooked to velvety tender perfection with chickpeas and tomato. A perfectly satisfying meatless dinner or side dish. Low-Fat. Vegan. Gluten Free.

I also like to make beans and serve over brown or white rice (my family only eats white rice, but if it’s just me I do brown).I like to sauté diced onions and minced garlic in olive oil, then add a can or two of black beans, oregano, cumin and a little bit of ground red pepper. I smash about half of the beans against the side of the pot and let it simmer for 15-30 min. You can also boil some potatoes for it in the same pot before starting the beans and then dice them up and add them back in later.
  • zekikat
    zekikat Posts: 18 Member
    I've been making a lot of soups (lentil, cauliflower), stews (chickpea, white bean), and roasted vegetables. A friend asked me to write down my red lentil soup recipe. I'm pasting it below for anyone else who is interested; this soup is very popular with vegans and meat eaters alike!

Turkish Red Lentil Soup
    2 tsp Olive Oil (or a little more if desired)
    1 large Onion, chopped fine
    1/2 Tbsp Cumin
    1 tsp Thyme or Oregano
    1 heaping tsp Aleppo Pepper or Pul Biber* (substitute: smoked paprika)
    1 1/2 cups Red Lentils
    9 cups Vegetable Stock*
    2 Tbsp Dried Mint*
    1 tsp Salt, or to taste
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Pepper Paste* (substitute: hot red pepper flakes to taste or more smoked paprika)

If you have an instant pot or pressure cooker you can just put everything in, stir well to break up any clods of tomato paste, and cook on high pressure for 14 minutes (be sure to use natural release). Otherwise, sauté the onion in the oil for about 5 minutes, add cumin oregano/thyme and Aleppo Pepper, and cook another couple of minutes, then add everything else. Bring it to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40-50 minutes until lentils are dissolving. For faster cooking, you can start the lentils and water boiling in a soup pot before even cutting up your onion, then sauté your onion and spices in a separate saucepan and dump it into the soup pot when you’re finished sautéing. This shaves about 10 minutes off the total cooking time.

This makes a lot; you can halve the recipe. It can sit in the fridge for about 3 days; it’ll thicken up as it sits, so you’ll want to water it down when you eat it as leftovers. Note that old lentils that have sat in a cupboard for a year or more will take longer to cook.

INGREDIENT NOTES:
    1. Aleppo Pepper (also called Pul Biber) is available on Amazon or from spice shops. It’s very flavorful and just has a hint of smoky spice. I use it for tons of recipes.
    2. If you don't have stock, you can use water with bouillon cubes/paste or water plus the stems from a bunch of Italian parsley tied together with string.
    3. You can sub fresh mint; use about double the amount. You can also rip open mint tea bags to use.
    4. Pepper paste is available on Amazon or from Middle Eastern stores. You can use 1 Tbsp more Aleppo Pepper if you don’t want to buy it. Common brands are Tat, Sera, and Tamek.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    My easy go-to veggie meals include

Cooked or canned beans (or home-cooked or canned veggie chili if I have it on hand -- I can whip up a lentil-based veggie chili in 20 minutes or so if I have the right veggies on hand) over either pasta or "baked" (microwaved) potato (aka jacket potato), with shredded cheese (generally cheddar or jack) and plain greek yogurt or sour cream.

Pasta with jarred tomato-based sauce with mozzarella and/or cottage cheese (or ricotta if I happen to have it on hand)

Poached egg(s) over whatever grains and veggies I have on hand

Pan-fried tofu and pasta with spicy peanut sauce

And if I really need it to be easy, raw veggies and whole grain crackers or chips (crisps) with hummus (store bought or homemade)

Obviously most of these would take adjustments if you're vegan, not ovo-lacto-vegetarian.
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 116 Member
    Lentils in any form. My favourite is a creamy Dahl with potatoes (roasted if I have time). Or a quesadilla made with black beans, lentils and tomatoes. And cheese. Got to have cheese in a quesadilla! If you buy a can of lentils, the Dahl takes literally 5 minutes to make.

I buy a can of beans, lentils and oats and make a salad by throwing it together with some fresh veges and salad leaves, and a dressing of some sort. Depends on my mood.... usually something a little spicy but sometimes just a plain, vegan mayo that I make.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I've been cooking David Thompson's tofu pad thai recipe on a regular basis.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    I alternate these two lentil soups every week they are so good and packed full of protein and fiber, not to mention how totally delicious and calorie friendly they are! They are very different from each other too. One uses red lentils and one uses brown lentils and they have different flavor profiles. I often add some soft or silken tofu to the red lentil dish to boost the protein, and I add swiss chard (you could do any leafy green) to the alton brown recipe.

https://www.womensrunning.com/health/food/red-lentils-with-kale-and-tomatoes/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=onsiteshare

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/healthy-lentil-soup/
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    New recipe I tried tonight which will become a staple for me. Minimal ingredients that I always have to hand but tastes like so much more than the sum of it’s parts. Came in at just under 425 cals for a decent portion, too. 💜

https://foodal.com/recipes/pasta/balsamic-mushrooms-goat-cheese/
  • rebeccaahopkins93
    rebeccaahopkins93 Posts: 107 Member
    https://eatwithclarity.com/vegan-poke-bowl/

This is my favorite!

I actually eat a lot of bowls like this. Put whatever veggies you want in, make a sauce or by store bought (I like sweet chili thai) then add crispy tofu, rice/noodles. I eat bowls like this 90% of the time!
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2022
    You can subscribe to a range of recipes sent to you via email here at Eating Well:
    https://x.specialoffers.meredith.com/ats/show.aspx?cr=588&fm=301&regsource=27755&hid=aca096a5158883802327f9653a24d3e086a33457&did=770695-20220425&utm_campaign=plant-powered_newsletter&utm_source=eatingwell.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=042522&cid=770695&mid=85633176832&lctg=181383891

If you just select the 'Plant Powered' option only you will find they send you lots of great vegetarian recipes each week. There are other good ones there too though. You can unsubscribe later if you don't like it.

The main site is here if you just want to browse:
    https://www.eatingwell.com/

Kind regards,
    Canaan
  • ErinKeegan2
    ErinKeegan2 Posts: 20 Member
    My favorite is Avocado & Tomato Salad
    INGREDIENTS
    1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    3 avocados, cubed
    1 pt. cherry tomatoes halved
    1 small cucumber, sliced into half-moons
    1/3 c. corn
    1 jalepeño, minced (optional)
    2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
    DIRECTIONS
    In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, and cumin.
    Season dressing with salt and pepper.
    In a large serving bowl, combine avocados, tomatoes, cucumber, corn, jalapeño, and cilantro.
    Gently toss with dressing and serve immediately.
    Nutrition (per serving): 398 calories, 4 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 37 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 257 mg sodium
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    My vegetarian go to has been to heat up a bag of rice pilaf, stir in a can of garbanzo beans. Season with olive oil, zaatar seasoning and some feta cheese.