Chin/pull-ups at home

Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
edited January 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Hiya folks!

I do some simple exercises at home with bodyweight, bands, and a simple barbell (only used for curls, actually). I've put together a pretty complete set of upper body exercises. Triceps and lats can be done with bands over a sturdy doorway, for example. So far, I've avoided getting any large equipment.

But, it would be really great to be able to do pull-ups. The choices are

A) Doorway bar. The nearest doorway is a "double wide" and it is highly visible when guests come into the front hall, even with the doors closed. I'd want to mount brackets, as the expanding-type can damage the doorway and they can fail. So this is a "no."

B ) Freestanding rack. These are big and the legs stick way out into the room and could a trip hazard, depending on where I put it. There is one on Amazon that looks OK for about $150. This is a "maybe."

C) Ceiling or wall mount bar. Ceilings aren't very high and walls are not that strong. It's an old house with non-standard framing (to say the least). It would not look very nice when not in use. I give this a "no."

D) Ceiling mounted hooks with handles or rings. This is a very intriguing idea since you take the handles off and then you just have the hooks on the ceiling-- pretty minimal visual impact. Can be used to secure bands as well, which could be useful. Again, I'd have to work with the non-standard framing of the house, but I'd give this a "maybe."

Has anyone else solved this problem? What did you do?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2022
    I think you might have already answered your question. The Rogue Individual Pullup System is built for ceiling mounts. I'd go with something like that versus rings. But understand, using ceiling mounts will add another (quite hard) dimension to your pullups.

I guess you could use bands still to assist you. I used to rip out pullups but now that I'm 57 years old, I like some light assistance when I do them. I have a strap that goes from my Power Tower that I can put my foot in and it offers like 10 to 20 lbs of assistance when I do sets.

There is something called BaseBar from BaseBlocks that's interesting. It's collapsible for easy storage. You can do pullups with it from an L-Seat. There's also a BaseBar Pro (like $189) that is taller but still collapsible. It it were me, I'd get something like that if you truly want it gone when you're not using it. Plus, like rings, there's other things you can do with it, like dips.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I have a removeable "over the door" pullup bar. It hooks up over the top of the door. No need to screw anything into the frame, and when you're done you just remove it. Had one for years and its been very reliable, sturdy and safe. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Ally-Peaks-Thickened-Multi-Grip-Strength/dp/B08MY2Y338/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3TSVV9ZL9B1LE&keywords=over+the+door+pull+up+bar&qid=1642271395&sprefix=OVER+THE+DOOR+PULL,aps,79&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPRUNXQVVXM1lSN0ImZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzMzM1NDExSEtPUUlMQVYwVTIxJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNzcyNTcyMVY4Nzg0Slg4SlQyJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Least impactful option to your home. No screwing into walls/ceilings!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Ditto to above over-the-trim removable bar mount. If the double-wide has upper and side trim - need both.
    With double wide door, get some electrical conduit that fits over the bar ends to extend it out to your door way, use their foam protection. I actually have wood dowels that fit inside, for a just slightly wider than normal doorway.

And that extra space provides a great coat hanging location!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    I have the over-the-trim type, too, and it's been fine. I wasn't speaking up because . . . well, I'm not all that big, and can't do a bunch of reps, so I'm not stressing it as much as some of the stronger, taller guys would.

I'm commenting now to say that I have pretty cr*ppy 1953 non-thick door moldings, and there's no molding detachment or dents after several years, though there is a little superficial scuffing on the paint where the support bars hit (black foam, white paint). Superficial = can't feel it if I close my eyes and run fingertips over it. Probably sticking a little piece of paper or fabric in there would eliminate that.

Removes easily, but I leave it there (I'm short, and not decor-sensitive 😆).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I went and pulled on the trim over the (extra wide) doorframe. It's not secure. (It moves when I pull on it with my fingers. I should really look into that!) So that's out.

I appreciate @MikePfirrman's pointer to the BaseBar from BaseBlocks. That might work. I'll have to think about it.

Still, my preference is rings from the ceiling. Still scoping out the attic above the room...
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    I went and pulled on the trim over the (extra wide) doorframe. It's not secure. (It moves when I pull on it with my fingers. I should really look into that!) So that's out.

I appreciate @MikePfirrman's pointer to the BaseBar from BaseBlocks. That might work. I'll have to think about it.

Still, my preference is rings from the ceiling. Still scoping out the attic above the room...

Mine came with a metal clip that goes into the top of the doorframe and then you put the part of the pullup bar that goes over the frame into the clip, so to speak. I've used it for years and its never moved (I don't get too gnarly on mine though, I keep under control when I'm doing my reps).

Sorry it didn't work out for you!