Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Well the plan to start cutting on January 1st might be out the window if the uk decides to close the gyms again 🙄

what is your home equipment situation? I would not think about it. It's over 10 days away and a lot can happen in 10 days (such as omicron quadrupling in countries). I would expect just some level of restriction vice a total close down.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Well the plan to start cutting on January 1st might be out the window if the uk decides to close the gyms again 🙄

what is your home equipment situation? I would not think about it. It's over 10 days away and a lot can happen in 10 days (such as omicron quadrupling in countries). I would expect just some level of restriction vice a total close down.

Luckily I’m good friends with the gym owner,
    I’ll get to borrow any free weights i need.
    Have spent the last few weeks planning out my next 5 months prep 😂
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Thanks @alexandramosenson and @psuLemon. Already improving with the antibiotics and cough is being less frequent. The downside is when I do cough it's ridiculously violent; pulled a muscle in my torso late last night in a coughing spell... so that's fun.
  • alexandramosenson
    alexandramosenson Posts: 50 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Thanks @alexandramosenson and @psuLemon. Already improving with the antibiotics and cough is being less frequent. The downside is when I do cough it's ridiculously violent; pulled a muscle in my torso late last night in a coughing spell... so that's fun.

I am actually similar on medicine, but this coincides with a much needed rest week. I trained hard for 5 weeks and my body said "enough!!". again, I would not think of it, as a 1-2 course dose will not affect you greatly.
  • steveko89
    I hope the new year is treating everyone well. I've eased down into the 175s on trend and after feeling rudderless last week on training I've come to a consensus on a direction and had a nice lifting session this morning. Still coming back from the pulled muscle (serratus anterior perhaps?) to a degree. Really working on getting my sleep back to where it should be and cutting down on some social media habits I've let get out of hand with regard to mental health and self-talk.
  • watts6151
    Managed to maintain weight over the holidays while
    Doing a maintenance phase and taking two weeks off totally for recovery, the last meso before Christmas beat the hell out of me.

I’m 2 days into my cut and already planning my first cheat meal 😂
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Happy new year everyone. I have done pretty well. Sitting at 167 with carbs. Definition and strength is up. Still focusing on strengthening my back to alleviate all injury. Not focused on fat loss, but rather just getting strong. Sitting around maintenance.

Might consider having two days a week where i have a 500-700 calorie deficit. Ideally, I'd likento get to 160-162 (on carbs) before i turn 40 in July. So 1-2 lbs a month should be doable.
  • I had an extended maintenance break over crimbo. Back to a deficit now. I’m aiming to lose 10 more pounds and see what I look like. I’m not giving myself a timeframe and I might need more maintenance breaks. I’m not a happy bunny when I’m in any kind of deficit.

There’s not a lot of muscle to be seen at the moment but I look fine dressed. I’ll keep telling myself that!
  • steveko89
    Flirting with the 173s the last few days. Trend weight down to 174.6 which has me down ~5lbs in the ~6 weeks back to 12/1. Sleep habits are improving but I'm having issues finding the right pillow(s) that are optimal to avoid snoring, back aches, and sinus congestion.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    i turn 40 in July. So 1-2 lbs a month should be doable.

I'm turning the big 4-0 in March! Leaning out a bit for that, just because

• psuLemon
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    i turn 40 in July. So 1-2 lbs a month should be doable.

I'm turning the big 4-0 in March! Leaning out a bit for that, just because

Oh Nice! My wife is March bday, too.
  • watts6151
    First week weigh in, I’m down 5.2lb
    Fingers crossed that should be
    A rough 2 lb of fat and the rest water/glycogen
  • psuLemon

Nice. Best of luck.

Yesterday started my cut week. I am doing one week dieting, one week maintenance. On cut weeks, all I am doing is reducing carbs, keeping protein at 1-1.2g/lb, fiber around 25g and fats around 80-100g. Maintenance weeks at 2500-2600/day, cut weeks at 1900-2100/day.
  • watts6151

Nice. Best of luck.

Yesterday started my cut week. I am doing one week dieting, one week maintenance. On cut weeks, all I am doing is reducing carbs, keeping protein at 1-1.2g/lb, fiber around 25g and fats around 80-100g. Maintenance weeks at 2500-2600/day, cut weeks at 1900-2100/day.

All I’ve done from maintenance to fat loss is drop carbs, protein is 1g per lb though I tend to be slightly over and fats will stay at 75g until weight loss stalls and I’ll drop them to 50g
  • psuLemon

Nice. Best of luck.

All I’ve done from maintenance to fat loss is drop carbs, protein is 1g per lb though I tend to be slightly over and fats will stay at 75g until weight loss stalls and I’ll drop them to 50g

Sounds pretty reasonable. These last two days, I have been about 2 lbs down which is likely food volume and carbs. But overall, it should be trending well.
  • watts6151
    @psuLemon how do cope on Keto regarding
    Drinking water and not wanting the toilet every 10 mins,
  • psuLemon
    @psuLemon how do cope on Keto regarding
    Drinking water and not wanting the toilet every 10 mins,

An insanely large bladder 😂. I have always drank 150-200oz of water a day. That didn't change on keto. Only my salt intake changed. It obviously increased.
  • watts6151
    I must have the bladder of a 5 year old 😂
    Even on 400+ carbs a day because I’m in a 1k
    Deficit I cannot get through a training session without a bathroom break
  • psuLemon
    I must have the bladder of a 5 year old 😂
    Even on 400+ carbs a day because I’m in a 1k
    Deficit I cannot get through a training session without a bathroom break

Yea, sounds like it.

If you ever saw the movie called, "A league of their own", my wife says I pee like Tom Hanks.

If you haven't seen it, look it up on YouTube.
  • psuLemon
    So I have been hitting some good PR's. This week I did 425x5 on Hip Thurst, 255x5 on squat, 220x5 on bench and 300x5 on DL. Progressing slowly and really working on not re-injuring my back.

Also, I stopped counting calories this week. I am just focusing on whole foods and getting strong AF. I think calorie counting became too much mentally for me. i am down about 1/2 lb this week.