What irks you today?

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Two weeks after our kitchen reno was completed, we noticed our countertop was separating in one area. One side about 4" long was bumping up a little bit right near a seam. We called about it, maybe beginning of November. Someone *just* came to look at it yesterday. Slimed some more silicone over it and pretty much inferred it was our fault because we had let water get in. Okay, #1, this area is beside the sink but never have we left water sitting anywhere on the counter. It gets wiped up. #2. He claimed his guys have been with him 21 years, blahblahblah. Feels pretty irrelevant. #3. the countertops were water resistant, not water proof. We were never informed of that fact or told we had to be more careful because it was a distinct possibility of this happening.

He said this is one of the worst calls he gets and it happens about 4-5 times a year. Really??
    And there's really nothing short of tearing it all out again for a redo, which he inferred would be at our cost.
    To me, even with a seam in the counter top, it should be able to withstand moisture. Unless it wasn't siliconed properly or the under materials are very inferior. He called it flakeboard underneath.

Now, I know nothing about construction, etc., but I feel if a person sinks 40K into a household project, it ought to be done right. :( Not to mention the countertops we had prior to this were well over 40 years old, had seams and never ever showed signs of damage like this. :(

Just feeling irksome today.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Two weeks after our kitchen reno was completed, we noticed our countertop was separating in one area. One side about 4" long was bumping up a little bit right near a seam. We called about it, maybe beginning of November. Someone *just* came to look at it yesterday. Slimed some more silicone over it and pretty much inferred it was our fault because we had let water get in. Okay, #1, this area is beside the sink but never have we left water sitting anywhere on the counter. It gets wiped up. #2. He claimed his guys have been with him 21 years, blahblahblah. Feels pretty irrelevant. #3. the countertops were water resistant, not water proof. We were never informed of that fact or told we had to be more careful because it was a distinct possibility of this happening.

He said this is one of the worst calls he gets and it happens about 4-5 times a year. Really??
    And there's really nothing short of tearing it all out again for a redo, which he inferred would be at our cost.
    To me, even with a seam in the counter top, it should be able to withstand moisture. Unless it wasn't siliconed properly or the under materials are very inferior. He called it flakeboard underneath.

Now, I know nothing about construction, etc., but I feel if a person sinks 40K into a household project, it ought to be done right. :( Not to mention the countertops we had prior to this were well over 40 years old, had seams and never ever showed signs of damage like this. :(

Call someone in for a second opinion.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    That my boss has COVID (he's fine, no symptoms), and I have had to do both our jobs all week.

Oh man, my boss is in North Carolina right now, which is a bit more relaxed about covid, and he's sick and I'm all "GET TESTED!!!!" and he says he's going to when he comes back.

Just keep your *kitten* out of the office. (He won't.)

He will!

Guess who came back last night and texted me this morning that he has covid?

Yup!

Has to isolate for 5 days.
  • glassyo
    Ok, now I AM irked! He has no plans to notify the airline???? His gf better *kitten* do it.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member

Aww Reenie, Im sorry to hear there are problems so early on. Its not good enough that he says its only water resistant.. its a kitchen bench for god sake.. smh. For $40 K I'd expect top quality products used. And also if he's having 4-5 of these episodes a year then maybe he isn't mentioning the water resistant factor at all when he should ( or not sealing properly). I think this guy most likely didn't seal the joint, a good tradesman would have sealed where it joined to prevent water getting in. I think he is responsible for replacing the countertop imo.. but I don't know the consumer laws over there. 40k is a lot to spend on a job you aren't happy with, Im so sorry Reenie.
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,253 Member
    @ReenieHJ
    I agree with Jo.
    Too much money not to be completely happy about the reno.
    I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this.
    🌹
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 17,516 Member
    Add my agreement to theirs. He should make it right. Is this laminate? Like yours, my 30 year old laminate has gotten wet and had no issues with water getting under any of the seams
  • ReenieHJ
    Thanks to all who replied to my irk. :)
    Thinking back, there were 2 guys that came in and installed the countertop. One side of the sink was done by a guy who was concentrating, very serious about his job. The other side(one with the bump)the guy was chatting with the contractor and not paying nearly as much serious attention to what he was doing. I mean, the bump isn't *that* noticeable, unless you're running a dishcloth or something over it. But having something like that happen a mere 2 weeks after completion.......the countertop project alone cost us 1800 of the 40K.
    But I truly think it should've been sealed better and that's where the problem mostly likely came from. :(

I always second guess myself and am afraid to cause waves or hurt someone's feelings or feel intimidated because well, they're the experts right? :/ He could at the very least, offer a rebate of some kind, just on good faith. :(

Yes, it is laminate. Other than that irky thing, it looks really nice. :)
  • honey_honey_12
    Talking with my ex,
    I’m all about letting things go,
    he’s all about holding on to the anger.
    No one can hold a grudge like he can and over the dumbest things.

One example of incompatibility that led to divorce.
  • crazyinspired11
    crazyinspired11 Posts: 46 Member
    That I have mice in my house and have 7 indoor cats! Im assuming mice anyways, found a dead baby mouse yesterday. :/
  • ReenieHJ
    cmsienk wrote: »
    Dust. Dust irks me today. I cleaned behind my nightstand and bed headboard today and there was so much dust... my fault I know, but it's not something I think about doing often

Yes dust. Add dog hair to that and the whole static cling effect of winter. :) It's driving me crazy. I even find dog hair in my fridge and kitchen drawers. WTH?
  • ramichaud249
    ramichaud249 Posts: 12 Member
    cmsienk wrote: »
    Dust. Dust irks me today. I cleaned behind my nightstand and bed headboard today and there was so much dust... my fault I know, but it's not something I think about doing often

Yes dust. Add dog hair to that and the whole static cling effect of winter. :) It's driving me crazy. I even find dog hair in my fridge and kitchen drawers. WTH?

I think that one reason why I don't move furniture around...LOL
  • ramichaud249
    ramichaud249 Posts: 12 Member
    Talking with my ex,
    I’m all about letting things go,
    he’s all about holding on to the anger.
    No one can hold a grudge like he can and over the dumbest things.

One example of incompatibility that led to divorce.

I think that this may be on the top of everyone's irk list....
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    I contacted MFP support because I, and others, are having trouble viewing people's profiles. Happens to me on the website. Chrome seems to be the issue. And it seems to be a random occurrence among friends and those I am not connected to.

The response was that I should log those profiles I can't view and report back. I understand the need to collect data and make an assessment on what the problem is. But to do the fact finding for them is silly. You have my data and know where I have been. You figure it out.

Yep.. I remember contacting once and the barrage of questions that ensured really put me off ever contacting again.
  • glassyo
    Wow, I'm legitimately irked about this.

Normally, I walk to the grocery store but something's up with a pain in my side and it hurts too much to walk outside. So I drove to the market (which is only a 15 min walk away). I bought half off boxes of cereal I normally wouldn't have because even their sale/coupon prices are over the top. So a 6.50 box of cereal should have rung up at 3.25 but it came up 4.00. Another one for 4.00 should have rung up as 2.00 but came up 2.50.

I wouldn't be this irked about 1.25 but now I have to get dressed again at some point and either waste time driving to the market or walk it hoping I'll still be able to move when I get back.

And, yes, I'm going to make an appt at the doctor's. I was almost on the verge of going to urgent care Friday night after my ling walk but the corona prep thread kinda scared me! 😀
  • cmsienk
    How dry it is in my house... ⚡
  • honey_honey_12
    Whining
  • cmsienk
    edited January 2022
    So far today I am irk-free. But I'm heading out into the world this afternoon, so any number of things could happen. 😉 🤞🏻
  • honey_honey_12
    I guess 14yrs is all I get from the television in my bedroom.
    It just blinks off, on, off, on, off,
    I think it’s telling me goodbye. 😂