~ Sobriety Matters ~

Replies

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 249 Member
    just curious.....why give up coffee? I understand the process foods.
  • Shellight
    Shellight Posts: 16 Member
    it feels like an addition. I am drinking 3-4 coffees a day and not drinking my water.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 798 Member
    Shellight wrote: »
    it feels like an addition. I am drinking 3-4 coffees a day and not drinking my water.

Good luck with quitting coffee, it can be a rough withdrawal, but I don't regret it at all. I LOVE no longer feeling like a slave to my morning coffee. Plus once I got rid of it, I realized that I was actually much *less* tired waking up in the morning.

I do have a bit of green tea now after a year without caffeine, but that's because I have a complex neurological condition that started having symptoms of narcolepsy, and my MD wanted to put me on prescription stimulants and I was like "Uh...I think I'll try low dose caffeine first, thanks" and the green tea has been enough stimulant to take care of it, thank goodness.

I used to dread traveling alone because of my need for morning coffee, my husband always made it for me at home, so traveling for work was miserable, because I truly needed coffee in order to wake up enough to make the coffee.

Now I just keep a glass of water by the bed and that perks me up enough to make tea.

More freedom from addiction is nice, but yeah, I suffered for a few weeks to get it.
  • GiveHerGrace
    GiveHerGrace Posts: 101 Member
    23 days AF as of today. :)

I am going to start trying to taper on my 4 can per day Diet Coke addiction tomorrow. I have a feeling this will be more of a challenge than alcohol!
  • BeIn2day
    BeIn2day Posts: 1,454 Member
    6 days AF. enjoying having no hangover. Got a trip to monkey land and zip lining tomorrow 🙌 🐒

My OH has been complaining of heartburn. He drank a bottle of red plus 3 rum n coke. But he blames the ibuprofen tablet he took earlier in the day 🙄

Talking about coffee, it can be delicious I've had a few here on holiday but I find I always need to run to the loo afterwards and I find it annoying. I need the loo fairly regularly anyway, without adding caffeine.

Hives are settling (hallelujah) although a few new ones popping up. Using hydrocortisone cream now which is really helping plus the antihistamine pills. Which can make me feel drowsy so aiming to try and time them close to bed.

Still smoking cigs. A few more days left here and then I will switch to ecig at home to wean myself off them again.
  • BeIn2day
    Actually scratch that, 7 days AF....its just gone past midnight now 🙂

This is longest I have ever been AF on a holiday. Yippee!
  • dyueh
    dyueh Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 17
    I would advise you to step back from that thought for a while and calm down. I had a situation where I just couldn't help myself and had to wander the streets to get my mind right. I signed up for https://www.theluckiestclub.com/join-community to get my mind right. It's not that it's very cool, but it helped me, although a lot of people come in there with different problems. I wanted to pursue my goals more often, and psychological problems with psychologists didn't always bring results. So this is what I can advise but I don't force you to do it.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,696 Member
    Hi Friends, So. happy @BeIn2day you are having a good time overall and the hives are better? I can't stand a hangover!! It makes me so slow and sluggish as well. I'm happy you're back on track and not ruining your vacation with a headache.

Saturday night, we went to my cousin's and his wife's house for a beautiful. Many know of my cousin's alcohol struggle and his wife's misery due to it. Their house is so beautifully decorated and gorgeous. But the sadness is there. Money cannot buy peace. The four of us had a great time- we played cards, drank wine but not overboard, and slept there overnight. But it did ruin my Sunday because I felt so tired and puffy.

Anyway, that must have been a trigger for him. Sunday after we left, his wife said he went out at 11:30 am and didn't return til 8:00 p.m. She is so heartbroken, always has a sinking feeling in her stomach , sick with worry that he's driving and sad that their marriage is broken mostly due to his addiction.

He was telling me he has rules for himself "no wine at home" just out. "Drinking vodka seltzer instead of wine," etc. I remember making rules for myself.

I am still avidly reading this thread although I am not 100 percent sober; I am just not there back to total sobriety but holding it together.
  • RubyRed427
    @BeIn2day I love your nails!
  • RubyRed427
    @Bein2day I am so glad, despite the hives, that you are having a great holiday. Thank you for taking the time to post your inspirational sayings. They REALLY help me. I am on day 14 and they help me push through when I have a craving. So after 2 weeks AF I am:

sleeping better
    less redness and better skin tone and texture
    off anxiety meds
    losing weight easily
    in a much better mood
    have more energy
    getting along better with my spouse
    making healthy meals instead of being too tired and getting take out
    remembering tv shows or movies we watched in the evening, not having to watch twice
    able to read before bed instead of just passing out followed by insane heart rate at 2 AM

Wow, just writing these out is helping me see the light. The last one is especially frightening to me. I need to really keep that in mind when toying with the idea of drinking in the future.

Good day, good health to you all!

Great list!! All of this is sooooo true. I'm so happy for you and your husband!!
  • RubyRed427
    edited January 17
    Recently, my daughter was prescribed some meds for a UTI. The doctor typed in CAPITAL letters " NO drinking alcohol while taking this med.". She is a rule follower and it's a good thing. My boyfriend was in pharmaceuticals and said if you drink alcohol while this med you will throw up.

I must admit I probably would have said to myself "they always say that with medicine." Anyway, thank God she follows directions.

One more comment, I told my nurse practitioner that once in awhile, after I drink, I take my lorizapam the next day because my nerves feel shaky. He was shocked; he said alcohol and lorizapam are the same thing- they block inhibitors. He said never take the two at the same time. He said it's very dangerous.
  • RubyRed427
    edited January 17
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @Bein2day I am so glad, despite the hives, that you are having a great holiday. Thank you for taking the time to post your inspirational sayings. They REALLY help me. I am on day 14 and they help me push through when I have a craving. So after 2 weeks AF I am:

sleeping better
    less redness and better skin tone and texture
    off anxiety meds
    losing weight easily
    in a much better mood
    have more energy
    getting along better with my spouse
    making healthy meals instead of being too tired and getting take out
    remembering tv shows or movies we watched in the evening, not having to watch twice
    able to read before bed instead of just passing out followed by insane heart rate at 2 AM

Wow, just writing these out is helping me see the light. The last one is especially frightening to me. I need to really keep that in mind when toying with the idea of drinking in the future.

Good day, good health to you all!

Great list!! All of this is sooooo true. I'm so happy for you and your husband!!

I remember making a list of positive and negatives effects of drinking vs. not drinking. Let's just say, the list for drinking positive effects is very very small unlike your list of all the benefits of not drinking. Thanks for writing this; it helps me.
  • RubyRed427
    dyueh wrote: »
    I would advise you to step back from that thought for a while and calm down. I had a situation where I just couldn't help myself and had to wander the streets to get my mind right. I signed up for https://www.theluckiestclub.com/join-community to get my mind right. It's not that it's very cool, but it helped me, although a lot of people come in there with different problems. I wanted to pursue my goals more often, and psychological problems with psychologists didn't always bring results. So this is what I can advise but I don't force you to do it.

Thank you for sharing this link. I had never heard of this. I love their mission statements.https://www.theluckiestclub.com/mission
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 798 Member

Thank you for sharing this link. I had never heard of this. I love their mission statements.https://www.theluckiestclub.com/mission

Tempest is also an EXCELLENT online sobriety resource. Anyone who has read "Quit Like a Woman," which is a phenomenal book, will be familiar with Tempest.
    https://jointempest.com/
  • BeIn2day
    @BeIn2day I love your nails!

If my nails are looking good, all is well in the world lol

My nails getting a manicure saved my sanity on this holiday 🙌 nice to glance down to manicured toes and by pass the bites and hives 🙈

Hives and bites are finally settling down....when I only have a few days left oh well it just makes me appreciate it all the more.
  • BeIn2day
    Xellercin wrote: »

Tempest is also an EXCELLENT online sobriety resource. Anyone who has read "Quit Like a Woman," which is a phenomenal book, will be familiar with Tempest.
    https://jointempest.com/

Quit like a woman is an excellent read. 👌
  • BeIn2day
    Hi Friends, So. happy @BeIn2day you are having a good time overall and the hives are better? I can't stand a hangover!! It makes me so slow and sluggish as well. I'm happy you're back on track and not ruining your vacation with a headache.

Saturday night, we went to my cousin's and his wife's house for a beautiful. Many know of my cousin's alcohol struggle and his wife's misery due to it. Their house is so beautifully decorated and gorgeous. But the sadness is there. Money cannot buy peace. The four of us had a great time- we played cards, drank wine but not overboard, and slept there overnight. But it did ruin my Sunday because I felt so tired and puffy.

Anyway, that must have been a trigger for him. Sunday after we left, his wife said he went out at 11:30 am and didn't return til 8:00 p.m. She is so heartbroken, always has a sinking feeling in her stomach , sick with worry that he's driving and sad that their marriage is broken mostly due to his addiction.

He was telling me he has rules for himself "no wine at home" just out. "Drinking vodka seltzer instead of wine," etc. I remember making rules for myself.

I am still avidly reading this thread although I am not 100 percent sober; I am just not there back to total sobriety but holding it together.

You are someone I admire and look upto on this sobriety journey.

You never give up. Your doing really well in your journey 😊🤗 and inspiring others along the way.