Vegetarian high protein sources

2»

Replies

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    We typically stick to quinoa, leafy greens, tempeh, tofu, soy curls, lentils, nutrional yeast, and spirulina (supplement). Once in a while we get impossible burgers or some vegan chicken as a treat.
  • Rosetoile
    Rosetoile Posts: 6 Member
    Tofu and tempeh
    Beans and bean pasta
    Chickpea flour
    Soy milk and Ripple brand pea milk
    Whole grains
    Green vegetables
    Nuts & seeds
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    helcart01 wrote: »
    I like Tesco Full Fat cottage cheese. More creamy than most

Tried both aldi and tesco ones.
    Loving my aldi cottage cheese since then

I get 36 grams of protein with it 322 calories
    It tastes so amazing.
  • satisatisati
    amazon sells plant based protein powder

Looking for real food only not powders
  • satisatisati
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Nahlei wrote: »
    Eggs if you eat them. Cottage cheese. High(er) protein vegetables like mushroom and asparagus. I typically have tofu, seitan, or tempeh with my lunches and dinners. Even with a focus on eating high protein foods I’ve had to supplement with whey, but I’m aiming for 1.6-2 g/kg

There’s a big spreadsheet with a list of protein sources floating around on the forums that I’ve seen linked to recently. Maybe someone can link that.

I tried cottage cheese one day. Just couldn't eat it. It was so sour. May I know which brand you use?

Doesn't matter the brand - cottage cheese is just gross in general (imo). :#

As for the OP question - I sometimes crumble tempeh to add protein to veg chili and pasta sauce - it kind of gives it that "ground beef" texture. Yesterday I made stuffed acorn squash, and the crumbled tempeh was indistinguishable mixed in with the quinoa, bean, feta, dried fruit/nut mixture - but added a bit of protein.

I love my cottage cheese now 😋
  • satisatisati

I tried cottage cheese one day. Just couldn't eat it. It was so sour. May I know which brand you use?

Cottage cheese is generally sour. Have a look at different recipes and see if you like any of them. I prefer to eat my cottage cheese as a sweet snack, not a fan of it as a savoury snack. I eat it with sweetener and sugar free chocolate powder. If you blend it with frozen fruit and sweetener, it turns into a protein "ice cream"

I tried from all supermarkets and now I found my favorite one. Always buying that one now
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Beans / legumes are NOT a good source of protein. They are great source of carbs and fiber with some protein.
    But or nut butter are NOT a good source of protein. They are great source of fat with tiny bit of protein.

Tofu or TVP or all the "mock" meat items you can find will be your best bet.
    There is absolutely no reason why you should be eating foods you do not enjoy (ie. cottage cheese).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I go for quinoa or tofu when looking for a plant-based protein.

You could also go mix/match if you want to - an example would be red beans (kidney beans) with rice provides a complete protein (and when mixed with the right amount of hot sauce is terrific!).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Nahlei wrote: »
    Eggs if you eat them. Cottage cheese. High(er) protein vegetables like mushroom and asparagus. I typically have tofu, seitan, or tempeh with my lunches and dinners. Even with a focus on eating high protein foods I’ve had to supplement with whey, but I’m aiming for 1.6-2 g/kg

There’s a big spreadsheet with a list of protein sources floating around on the forums that I’ve seen linked to recently. Maybe someone can link that.

I see you have a cottage cheese solution, but for others, and probably others in the US and perhaps the North East - I find all brands of *organic* cottage cheese that I have tried too sour. I love Cabot cottage cheese, which Market Basket and other stores carry, and will settle for Good Foods, which Shaw's and Stop & Shop carry.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    do you eat dairy? If so: you're in paradise in the UK. There's so much cool stuff, especially in Asian shops, but also in just normal supermarkets. Paneer, halloumi, labneh balls. Yeah, it's not super high protein, but it's got protein and there's some very tasty food you might not have tried before.
  • satisatisati
    yirara wrote: »
    do you eat dairy? If so: you're in paradise in the UK. There's so much cool stuff, especially in Asian shops, but also in just normal supermarkets. Paneer, halloumi, labneh balls. Yeah, it's not super high protein, but it's got protein and there's some very tasty food you might not have tried before.

Paneer is my go to food always 😋
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    My favourites are:
    Tofu
    Chickpeas
    Black Beans
    Lentils
    Peanut Butter
    High Protein Meat Substitutes (often made with soy, wheat gluten and/or pea protein) or homemade seitan (wheat gluten)

Also carbohydrates like oats and pasta do still have quite a bit of protein despite mostly being a carb source. You can also get high protein pasta thats made from chickpeas or lentils.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Do they have “Beyond Meat” where you live? It is really good. Can use it lime hamburger.
  • plg999
    plg999 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2022
    I know all the usual stuff about getting protein as a vegetarian (and I'm mostly vegan), but it is really hard if you're also trying to limit carbs and fat. Nonfat Greek yogurt is a go-to for me, but I also find the trick is to make every little thing count - use whole grain everything, avoid low protein grains like white rice (quinoa is even better than brown rice), and make sure all snacks have good protein. Aim for 20 g protein per meal. Sometimes sprinkling hemp seeds on top can help push you over the edge.
  • Jubilee87
    Jubilee87 Posts: 1 Member
    fbstaton wrote: »
    Good morning from Germany. I've been predominantly plant-based (near vegan) for over a year (yes, I eat Nacho Doritoes - but that's my guilty pleasure). Two things I like to keep in mind when selecting protein (1) quality i.e. as close to "real food" as possible (not highly processed; (2) Plant-based. I've enclosed a weblink to a search selection of Vegan Protein Charts. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vegan+Protein+Food+Chart&form=RESTAB&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

My preference is for lots of beans - lots of protein per 100 g and lots of fibre.

Enjoy the day.
    fbstaton wrote: »
    Good morning from Germany. I've been predominantly plant-based (near vegan) for over a year (yes, I eat Nacho Doritoes - but that's my guilty pleasure). Two things I like to keep in mind when selecting protein (1) quality i.e. as close to "real food" as possible (not highly processed; (2) Plant-based. I've enclosed a weblink to a search selection of Vegan Protein Charts. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Vegan+Protein+Food+Chart&form=RESTAB&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

My preference is for lots of beans - lots of protein per 100 g and lots of fibre.

Enjoy the day.

Good afternoon from Italy. I’m vegan and just like you, I try to eat “real food” instead of false meat or processed food. I eat beans, twice a day, whole carbs and vegetables but I would like to ask you how you manage to set your daily nutritional amount. Usually I eat 25% carbs, 15% protein, just a bit of good fats and the rest are vegetables but in the MyFitnessPal Chart I can only put carbs, fat and protein… how do you manage your data?
  • zekikat
    zekikat Posts: 18 Member
    I'm mostly vegan and have gotten a lot of very good information from this website: https://veganhealth.org, run by a vegan nutritionist.

Things I like for breakfast: oatmeal with soy milk and a few nuts, smoothies with frozen fruit, soy milk, and brown rice protein, banana mashed up with powdered peanut butter (for busy days :p ), high protein bread spread with something tasty.

For lunch/dinner: stew with peas or spinach and chickpeas, lentil soup, various dals, bean salads, stir fry with tofu, marinated baked tofu, bean burgers, pasta with high protein add ons ("cream" sauce based on cashews or silken tofu...many recipes are out there, or a tomato sauce with slices of field roast "grain meat" sausage in it...it is made from minimally processed ingredients and is very good).
  • Mountainbreezes
    Mountainbreezes Posts: 10 Member
    I recently discovered farro, although Aldi is the only place I've found it so not sure how easy it is to get. It's a complete protein, like quinoa, but reminds me more of barley in texture. Greek yogurt is great too. Depending on the brand it can be more sour, but I like to get the plain kind and put different types of a small amount of jam or maple syrup in it for flavor, but less sugar than buying pre-flavored yogurt.