Egg Whites?! What are you using?

I LOVE me some egg whites, i usually cook up about 5 eggs, but im struggling finding the best thing to fry them in.. I usually do 7g of butter or half a serving for 50 calories, and that just seems ridiculous to me! What alternatives are you using? :) Ive been scouring the forums for some answers and have landed on maybe a cooking spray or maybe smart balance.. Hmmm

Replies

• TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    I like Land O Lakes light butter with canola oil. 14g serving is 50 cals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I use a well-seasoned cast-iron frying pan, and usually less fat than that works OK, even for a pretty full pan of whatever (maybe 3-4 grams of oil?). I'd personally prefer a higher-temp oil to butter, like maybe avocado oil. YMMV. Are you using some type of nonstick pan?

One thing to watch out for: The "zero calorie" sprays are really only few enough calories to be called zero (<5) for the length of spray on the can, which is often something like 1/3 second. That's not much. When I use a spray oil, I put the can on the scale, tare, take it off and spray the pan, then read the negative number of grams on the scale. That's a more realistic number.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    7g of butter seems to be a lot!

I use a gram of bacon drippings. One gram of butter would probably be enough in a non-stick pan, too.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I use 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil (20 calories) per serving in a nonstick skillet. I use whole eggs, though, so maybe egg whites stick more?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Bacon grease and a non stick pan.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    In the new generation of ceramic coated or stone coated non stick pans I don't need any oil at all to fry an egg. Mind you, without any oil at all it doesn't really have a fried (ie browned) texture. I like to brush on a smidgen of duck fat for flavour.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I use a little bit of olive oil (1/2-1 tsp) when cooking for me and a little bit of plant based butter when cooking for others. I use about a third or half a serving for 33-50 calories. I also like a cast iron pan. I sometimes use cooking sprays on my ceramic cookware.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    I use olive oil or sunflower oil and I have a well seasoned cast iron pan.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    In the new generation of ceramic coated or stone coated non stick pans I don't need any oil at all to fry an egg. Mind you, without any oil at all it doesn't really have a fried (ie browned) texture. I like to brush on a smidgen of duck fat for flavour.

Agree with @acpgee ! If don’t want to use any fat for cooking .. I use my stone coated pan… totally non stick, no added calories.