Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Latest Trend is Fasting: What say you?

Peppegal
Peppegal Posts: 19 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
The idea of fasting kind of scared me because I experience low blood sugar. But since I have been eating more fiber I find my blood sugar levels allow me to go further without food or fuel.
Remember those days when the experts said, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." What happened to that!

Eight hours of sleep count towards your fasting. What do you think about this idea and have you tried it? Feel free to leave resources to support your claim when necessary. Personal experiences are always welcomed.

Also include how you have been feeling versus the claims from the pros, including; moods, hunger, weightloss, or that you just think it's another trend.

I'm anxious to know!!! ;)

~Resa

Replies

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    @paperpudding I am in complete and total agreement with you on this!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I've used intermittent fasting throughout my life generally because I'm often not hungry early in the day. It didn't really help me stay at an acceptable weight as I can just eat too much at night.

I've also used 5:2 at times when I knew I would need extra calories for an event. It's okay but not something I want to do often. I get grouchy when my calories are too low.
  • Peppegal
    By experts and pros I mean doctors and qualified people not magazine articles by opinion writers. I've done a lot of research on it and for sure, it's not for everyone. My son is a doctor and we discuss a lot of topics. The biggest problem is so many studies change what previous study said!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    I lost almost 40 pounds in 11 months last year fasting on a 12:12 schedule.
  • QuokkaQueen
    QuokkaQueen Posts: 1 Member
    I'm doing 16:8 Intermittent Fasting and so far it's working for me. I've lost a few kilos since starting, whereas I'd found it hard to shift anything in the months beforehand.

Previously I'd thought I'd hate any form of fasting because I used to feel hungry and snack all the time. Paradoxically, I've found myself less hungry since starting IF so I snack less - even in my eight-hour eating window. It's helpful for stopping me snacking mindlessly in the evenings if nothing else.

The weight loss approach that works is the one you stick to. Some people love IF, some hate it. It's a good idea to get clearance from your doctor first if you have any medical conditions that could be complicated by fasting.
  • Peppegal
    I'm older now and I have trouble losing weight but I have to say I've added fiber and some fasting and I lost 10 lbs!
    I always had an exercise routine so that was never the problem.
    And I do eat my largest meal in the afternoon, not at dinner.
    I love my new routine and I will stick with it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Whatever works as long as you're not harming yourself in the process.

With that 10 lbs, tho, I *am* curious how long it's been since you've lost weight or if you're just starting out or if you also suddenly went low carb or something. :)