Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 4

baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
HEY! It's dead up in here.
The last thread was several years long.
I know I may be the only one talking in here but let's try to revive this thing.

Talk keto, keto struggles, life stuff, whatever.

Tagged:

Replies

• lisahughesdesign
    lisahughesdesign Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I’m Lisa. Started transitioning into the Keri diet 4 days ago, slowly weeding out the carbs. I need to lose 2.5 stone over the coming months. I first tried keto several years ago with some success, a few years ago I tried again and failed due to a faulty gallbladder issue. Have since had my gallbladder removed so thought I’d give keto another try as the science behind it seems logical and I know it can work for me. Fingers crossed it does so again!
    My biggest challenge is staying off the chocolate as that’s my downfall. However, I’ve been having the Slimming World Keto choc shake for my breakfast and that seems to be satisfying my craving. I’m also trying out KillaVanilla to help combat the evening cravings in front of the TV. Will let you know if this works!
    Anyway, day 4 today and I just took a ketosis urine test and it looks like I’m well into ketosis, so I’m happy to get there. Had a pretty stinking headache yesterday and today, but drinking loads of water to stay hydrated, hoping it’ll shake off in a day or too. I read to take magnesium supplement to combat the keto flu. Has anyone tried that?
  • lisahughesdesign
    Thanks for your insight @baconslave, I'll have a look for a zero carb sports drink to hopefully help with the headaches.

I weighed myself this morning and couldn't believe my eyes – I've lost 7lbs in a week! I don't think I've ever had a weight loss that big in the first week on any diet plan. I've been drinking loads of water, so I think that's also been helping. In the last few days of last week, I really worked hard to stick to my carbs/protein/fat macros within a 1400 calorie limit. I'm not expecting to lose this much every week, as I'm aware that most people tend to have their biggest loss in the first week and then it balances out, but I'm just over the moon that it seems to be working for me so well. It's given me the motivation to stick with it.

I've noticed a difference in my energy levels too. I'm walking at a faster pace than usual on my daily walks and had a bit more oomph when doing the housework at the weekend, lol! I'm going to give it another week and then start introducing some workouts to my routine.

Fortunately, my partner is doing the diet with me, but he's got a higher calorie allowance, so it makes it easier if you're not cooking for yourself. He enjoys cooking too, so he's coming up with ideas and recipes that are low carb.

How did you get on at the weekend? Are they still proving a challenge?

• lisahughesdesign
    edited January 2022
    It’s going well I’ve lost 13lbs in the first 19 days and I have not been hungry.

Wow, that's amazing. Well done, what a great start.

I am drinking black coffee in the morning but break my fast around noon.

Have you tried adding cinnamon to your morning coffee @cjsunnyside? I've been reading articles about how it can help speed up your metabolism. If you're fasting, it may also help with suppressing your appetite. I've decided to give it a go. Here's the recipe link if you're interested: https://www.homegrounds.co/uk/cinnamon-coffee-recipe/
  • baconslave
    edited January 2022
    Thanks for your insight @baconslave, I'll have a look for a zero carb sports drink to hopefully help with the headaches.

I weighed myself this morning and couldn't believe my eyes – I've lost 7lbs in a week! I don't think I've ever had a weight loss that big in the first week on any diet plan. I've been drinking loads of water, so I think that's also been helping. In the last few days of last week, I really worked hard to stick to my carbs/protein/fat macros within a 1400 calorie limit. I'm not expecting to lose this much every week, as I'm aware that most people tend to have their biggest loss in the first week and then it balances out, but I'm just over the moon that it seems to be working for me so well. It's given me the motivation to stick with it.

I've noticed a difference in my energy levels too. I'm walking at a faster pace than usual on my daily walks and had a bit more oomph when doing the housework at the weekend, lol! I'm going to give it another week and then start introducing some workouts to my routine.

Fortunately, my partner is doing the diet with me, but he's got a higher calorie allowance, so it makes it easier if you're not cooking for yourself. He enjoys cooking too, so he's coming up with ideas and recipes that are low carb.

How did you get on at the weekend? Are they still proving a challenge?

I lost about 5.6lb the first week. Which IS just water but that's 5.6lb off my joints! From now on it will be genuine weightloss. It will be slower. But again, each loss, even if it's small adds up over time. So that over 2 months a pound a week loss is 8lbs gone forever hopefully. And time is going to pass anyway, might as well use it to make progress, however fast or slow. You are doing great.

I'm still having a mental struggle on Saturdays. As I used to just say "screw it" and do whatever regularly. So I have a bit of a fight with myself internally. But I made 100% on-plan choices, even if I might have eaten a bit much. And though it's just one step better. It is a step in the right direction. For me, struggling for a year and a half now trying to stop that bad habit, it is a huge step.

It is so much easier having someone else in the house who is low-carb. I haven't had that, but my spouse got very supportive those years ago when I was steadily losing weight and made it easier for me. So I basically am always making a low-carb meal, but with a carb side for my Carbosauruses. So it's easy for me to just leave that off my plate. Or for a casserole, I just make my plate as I am assembling it before it's mixed with the rice or noodles.

Anyway, another perfect (for me for now) weekend under my belt. :triumph:
  • baconslave
    Well the scale is being an idiot some more for me. I know some of it is the salty, yet delicious, pork shoulder for dinner last night.

Just KCKO. Waiting for the scale to stop being a punk.
    Working out. All the things.

• KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    I missed that people are active on this thread again! I'm glad there are people "talking" here. It helps when I have people to check in with.
    I'm 51, and have about 35 lbs to lose. We have four kids, girls ages 19, 17, 16 and 11. I have really struggled with my weight over the past several years. I know that I am dealing with age and hormones, life, etc. but I know a great deal of my problem is that I don't seem to have the willpower, diligence and determination to eat properly and exercise that I had when I was younger. I am not sure if it is because I don't care as much, I'm not as vain as I once was, or I believe that at my age and with things I have been through, I "deserve" to eat what I want and do what I want, etc....or all of the above! What it comes down to is that I have to change what I WANT. (and not have it be to sit on the couch and eat)

When I am doing what I am supposed to, I stick to lower fat keto way of eating, which is basically a low carb, high protein diet with intermittent fasting. I am just recently getting back to good habits that I know are effective for me to be healthy and in shape, but I do blow it more often than I'd like.

I'm back in the gym again, have a couple of people who encourage me, and am working on getting rid of this excess weight. Some of my motivations are: my clothes are limited right now - I have many clothes I cannot wear, and I am due for a life insurance physical and blood work to renew my policy and I want the best rates :) And of course, my health, but if honest, I will admit I don't always feel that motivation strongly enough to do something about it :(
  • baconslave
    I missed that people are active on this thread again! I'm glad there are people "talking" here. It helps when I have people to check in with.
    I'm 51, and have about 35 lbs to lose. We have four kids, girls ages 19, 17, 16 and 11. I have really struggled with my weight over the past several years. I know that I am dealing with age and hormones, life, etc. but I know a great deal of my problem is that I don't seem to have the willpower, diligence and determination to eat properly and exercise that I had when I was younger. I am not sure if it is because I don't care as much, I'm not as vain as I once was, or I believe that at my age and with things I have been through, I "deserve" to eat what I want and do what I want, etc....or all of the above! What it comes down to is that I have to change what I WANT. (and not have it be to sit on the couch and eat)

When I am doing what I am supposed to, I stick to lower fat keto way of eating, which is basically a low carb, high protein diet with intermittent fasting. I am just recently getting back to good habits that I know are effective for me to be healthy and in shape, but I do blow it more often than I'd like.

I'm back in the gym again, have a couple of people who encourage me, and am working on getting rid of this excess weight. Some of my motivations are: my clothes are limited right now - I have many clothes I cannot wear, and I am due for a life insurance physical and blood work to renew my policy and I want the best rates :) And of course, my health, but if honest, I will admit I don't always feel that motivation strongly enough to do something about it :(

Yay! I was hoping you'd pop in.

My kids are 19, 17, 13, almost 11.
    I've been struggling with that deserve mentality too. Especially considering this collective horseshit we've all been through with covid. "I've kept everyone else and my mental stuff together and I sacrifice so much, so I deserve..." Well we probably do deserve better, but physiology works how it works, regardless about how we feel about it. :weary:

I feel you on the clothes. I too have many clothes I cannot wear. And many that have worn out that I refuse to replace in a bigger size bc I'm going to loose this weight DARNIT. It's been hard getting motivated when there was no where to go. Now stuff may be opening up for us soon and I need to wear clothes in public. Plus, you'd think the 20 extra pounds might have some bonus in making me NOT freeze so much in this cold. NOPE. Still cold and too chubby for my pants that button. :unamused:

Congrats on getting back to the gym. I have made my own gym since I'm out in the middle of nowhere and also I don't like people looking at me. The one good thing I did the whole pandemic was to keep the fitness going. Eating... didn't do that great. :joy:

I wonder if I'm the only "older" lady (43--I'm pretty sure I'm in peri-menopause already) who has scale troubles like this. Since I turned 41 or 42, I hold water like crazy. I used to just lose all along. Now I hold onto water forever and then finally whoosh. Which makes for me getting stabby about it even though I know I should trust the process.

Anyway. KCKO.

• cjsunnyside
    cjsunnyside Posts: 136 Member
    edited January 2022
    Hey friends! Took me a couple days to find this group again! And figuring out how the site works. Seems you called this a daily check in so I’ll try and be better with that! Thanks @lisahughesdesign for the link to recipes and the cinnamon idea. I’ll try it out of curiosity but I really love black coffee. Good coffee that is. Good day. Good progress from my last comment. Doing this IF I am often not getting within 200 of my 1200 goal. And I couldn’t eat another bite. Tonight we had zucchini boats which were delicious a sooo filling I didn’t need to finish but I did because I’m short cals. Sleep well.
  • baconslave
    In my experience the best way to keep in the game is to stay in the game with multiple check-ins a week, support, listening to podcasts and reading articles about the WOE (way of eating).

Full immersion keeps me in touch and in my lane.

Still waiting on the scale to reward me.
    Consistency + Persistence + Time
    KCKO

Meanwhile hubby is in the kitchen about to fry up some sort of breaded bs... :unamused:
    I must not eat that crap. I must eat my carnita as planned. Eyes on the prize.
  • cjsunnyside
    Happy Friday all how was your week! I’m feeling pretty good and on track. I booked a massage for Monday but just for the enjoyment of it rather than so I can walk upright lol. It’s amazing what a few lbs and a little activity does for the ole joints!
  • baconslave
    It's been a very disappointing week on the scales even though I know I'm doing everything right. No choice but to weather the nonsense and wait. Patience is hard. :lol:

Determined to have yet another perfect keto weekend despite it.
  • cjsunnyside
    The scale can motivate or deflate for sure! I was disappointed this morning that it didn’t change from yesterday. It doesn’t move everyday and one day this week it was .5 higher! Nonetheless I have a big goal for the first month (just days left)and I know the big losses are not sustainable but they sure are fun! you know how that first bit drops pretty quick! Anyway have a great keto weekend.
  • baconslave
    well I stayed LC despite the kids making a million cookies. I ate too much for sure though, I tend to get the munchies when having some adult beverages, so next week I'll need to work on that. I consider staying LC on Saturdays a win as the whole pandemic I clearly failed miserably at it. One solid change at a time.

Today should be perfect. I only drink on Saturdays. And I have all my food planned out.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    A new day and about to start a new week! I didn't weigh myself this morning, so I am going to hold off until Monday or Tuesday. I haven't been eating poorly, per se, but I have not been eating what I need to in order to lose weight. I made it to the gym for a short while yesterday and had a long walk, so that is progress.

Baconslave, I didn't realize our kids are so close in age to each other's! Isn't a wonderful bunch of work?!? And no, you are not the only one with those scale issues. I will be turning 52 this year and my body and scale are both all over the place. (along with a bunch of other things!) I am learning about this new normal and slowly figuring out what works for me at this stage of my life. The things that worked when I was younger are definitely not working for me anymore!

And cjsunnyside, I'm pretty jealous about your massage....good for you!
  • baconslave
    A new day and about to start a new week! I didn't weigh myself this morning, so I am going to hold off until Monday or Tuesday. I haven't been eating poorly, per se, but I have not been eating what I need to in order to lose weight. I made it to the gym for a short while yesterday and had a long walk, so that is progress.

Baconslave, I didn't realize our kids are so close in age to each other's! Isn't a wonderful bunch of work?!? And no, you are not the only one with those scale issues. I will be turning 52 this year and my body and scale are both all over the place. (along with a bunch of other things!) I am learning about this new normal and slowly figuring out what works for me at this stage of my life. The things that worked when I was younger are definitely not working for me anymore!

And cjsunnyside, I'm pretty jealous about your massage....good for you!

Yes, they are about 86 handfuls and such chaos, but I do love them intensely.

My scale is being a grand B. I'm up all the way to 183 now. I went back and logged my Saturday and it was higher in calories but carbs were fine. And I eat a bit less strategically during the week so I can have more to eat on Saturday. But something has gone wonky. I dunno. I just have to keep going and hopefully this mess will suss out during the week sometime. I may have to cut calories more, which sucks bc how am I supposed to work out and keep muscle without fuel? Anyway. Trying to keep being patient.
  • cjsunnyside
    Stay the course! Advice to myself this morning and encouragement to you all!