What book are you reading?

Replies

• cybernurse251
    cybernurse251 Posts: 159 Member
    A flicker in the dark. It’s a murder mystery.
    5h82ae9go6gx.jpeg
  • WILL by Will Smith
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    WILL by Will Smith

Did you like it? I've heard mixed reviews. Not much of a non- fiction person but....
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,264 Member
    qz5g8y2xh0hd.jpeg
  • hidemeupnorth
    hidemeupnorth Posts: 21 Member
    z8b0zrk8ju9h.jpg
    I just picked up this book over the weekend. So far it is a slow read but I'm still hopeful.
  • MartiniDrinkHer
    MartiniDrinkHer Posts: 1 Member
    I am listening to LIFE by Keith Richards (narrated by Johnny Depp, natch!) and enjoying it. Recently finished Huma Abedin’s BOTH/AND which
    I very much enjoyed.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    qz5g8y2xh0hd.jpeg

Well *that* looks interesting. :)

My current reads have just been chick fluff brain candy. Nothing memorable. :/
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 114 Member
    Is no one reading?!?

So, I recently read The Editor by Steven Rowley. I really enjoyed it. Juxtaposed with Time Quest (film...Bruce Campbell) we watched yesterday which was also about Jackie Kennedy and was not nearly as good. Before that, I did a re-read of Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown, which is fun.

Love Terry Pratchett, I’m about to dig out Unseen Academicals. I showed my two youngest kids his Going Postal and Colour of Magic works that had been made for tv over Xmas
  • ReenieHJ
    Halfway through The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel.
  • melaniedscott
    KL1887 wrote: »
    Is no one reading?!?

So, I recently read The Editor by Steven Rowley. I really enjoyed it. Juxtaposed with Time Quest (film...Bruce Campbell) we watched yesterday which was also about Jackie Kennedy and was not nearly as good. Before that, I did a re-read of Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown, which is fun.

Love Terry Pratchett, I’m about to dig out Unseen Academicals. I showed my two youngest kids his Going Postal and Colour of Magic works that had been made for tv over Xmas

I do too. The book Colour of Magic is a bit weird (Rincewind is not my favorite) but I still love it. I didn't realize they did Going Postal. Must look for it. I have Colour of Magic on dvd...really enjoyed the...Hogfather? And animated Soul Music. I just looked there are loads I have not seen! Must find!!!
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 114 Member
    Is no one reading?!?

I do too. The book Colour of Magic is a bit weird (Rincewind is not my favorite) but I still love it. I didn't realize they did Going Postal. Must look for it. I have Colour of Magic on dvd...really enjoyed the...Hogfather? And animated Soul Music. I just looked there are loads I have not seen! Must find!!!

Death is my fave character ever, he’s just amazing. Soul music is the best of his books, we go the easy way round and introduce the kids via the idea of the Wee Free Men for starting to read Pratchett because if you can’t fall in love with those little blue guys then all may as well be lost.
    Agreed Rincewind for me is just a hard character to gel with but the books are still worth a read.
  • melaniedscott
    Is no one reading?!?

Death is my fave character ever, he’s just amazing. Soul music is the best of his books, we go the easy way round and introduce the kids via the idea of the Wee Free Men for starting to read Pratchett because if you can’t fall in love with those little blue guys then all may as well be lost.
    Agreed Rincewind for me is just a hard character to gel with but the books are still worth a read.

I have trouble choosing a favorite. It isn't Rincewind...but beyond that...<shrugs>. Love Ventinari, Vimes, all the witches, most of the wizards, Death, Susan, the monks, William de Word...well, you get the idea. Funnily enough, my first Pratchett was Lords and Ladies but I bought it on accident (back in those book club days). Who can't love the Wee Free Men!?! And Maurice. And the diggers...and Johnny Maxwell...
  • AdahGreen2022
    AdahGreen2022 Posts: 264 Member
    dt6g5srtivzu.jpg
  • ReenieHJ
    West With Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,555 Member
    I'm currently reading the Anthropocence Reviewed, which is by John Green and I am really enjoying it a lot! It's non fiction, which i don't usually get too into, but he's so interesting. it's processing, and history, and a bit of story telling about John's life and how he's processed the pandemic and all sorts of stuff, all while being pretty fun
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    There are plenty of pitfalls to be wary of, he notes. As fulfilling as virtual worlds may become, people will need real food, drink and exercise, and perhaps even the odd glimpse of daylight, to keep their bodies from withering away. The risks may be trivial for decades yet, Chalmers says, but a gradual trend towards virtual living could eventually raise new health issues.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/17/virtual-reality-is-genuine-reality-so-embrace-it-says-us-philosopher

:'( rereading this...
    q56wkcajzv9e.png
  • PatriciaNeves2015
    PatriciaNeves2015 Posts: 51 Member
    My beloved readings have been by by Sandra Guilland: the trilogy: MANY LIVES AND SECRET SORROWS OF JOSEPHONE BONAPARTE, TALES OF PASSION TALES OF WOE, THE GREATEST DANCE ON EARTH. Also, all books by David McCullough. Currently reading THE GREATER JOURNEY, Americans in Paris. Good reading!

If you want to really laugh and follow a romantic adventure in France, read Nina George's The Little Paris Bookshop!
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,132 Member
    Ice Burned. It's written by a person I used to train with. Having been there I keep picking out so many things from our collective experience. I suspect it was written as a way to get out some
    lingering emotions and trauma from those days. It needs further editing but it's kind of a fun read as I pick out parts and say omg I remember that....it's fiction but not really.
  • Writing Monsters by Philip Athens in print and The Blood of the Lamb by Thomas Monteleone on Kindle
  • runinthesun7
    runinthesun7 Posts: 140 Member
    xq9wq7e4szd2.jpg

I just finished reading Seneca Letters from a Stoic. I really enjoyed it. It's a great read if you're interested in stoicism. I'll be starting on Marcus Aurelius Meditations next.